U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 11:55 AM

1,959 posts, read 728,844 times

Advertisements

I used the same Krups maker for over 15 years until I put too much vinegar in it to decalcify it. Coffee didn’t taste the same after that. My mother gave her Cuisinart maker. The coffee brew doesn’t seem to taste the same ever since even after I inserted a new filter. I’m going to try using bottled water to brew to see if it makes a difference or not.
Is there a noticeable difference with the different coffee brewers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 12:18 PM

4,599 posts, read 7,730,827 times
Yes, has to do with water temp and steep time. When it comes to Used machines, who the heck knows what's been run through the thing. I remember seeing articles about travelers using hotel pots to wash their socks and underware...

Old 02-11-2020, 01:20 PM

40,806 posts, read 59,022,763 times
Yes. Water and the water temperature makes a big difference. I use Sparkletts Spring Water. Great stuff. (HEB, Fiesta and La Michoacana has it for sure)
As for a coffee maker - are you a big drinker that needs a full pot ready 24/7?
If not, and you enjoy a GOOD cup of coffee once or twice a day - I would recommend AeroPress.
Don't get discouraged by it's humble look, though. It produces an AWESOME coffee!! Thousands of people can't be wrong!
https://www.amazon.com/AeroPress-Cof...df_B0047BIWSK/

Quality beans matter too. Best to buy whole beans and grind smaller portions at home.
All that will make a huge difference.
http://coffeegeek.com/resources/noteworthy/aerobie
There is even an Aeropress championship!
https://aeropress.com/championships/overview/
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-11-2020, 01:27 PM

4,599 posts, read 7,730,827 times
And the same post from a couple hours earlier:

//www.city-data.com/forum/food-...ee-makers.html

Old 02-11-2020, 01:40 PM

Not enough coffee to think clearly?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-11-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Yes, has to do with water temp and steep time. When it comes to Used machines, who the heck knows what's been run through the thing. I remember seeing articles about travelers using hotel pots to wash their socks and underware...
Well, it's from his Mother, not some low life who washed his socks there ..

Old 02-11-2020, 03:33 PM

24,921 posts, read 16,040,821 times
I use Cuisinart coffeemakers. I use filtered water. And you have reminded me that I need to buy new filters!

If you liked the old Krups, why not buy a new one for yourself? If you’d rather not spend the money, have a look at the Cuisinart site about how to decalcify your Cuisinart machine, and follow instructions. And use filtered water to make your coffee. Buy good beans and grind as you go.

I use a Brita filter pitcher.

Old 02-11-2020, 04:05 PM

14,624 posts, read 9,712,842 times
Forget about coffee makers, cold brewing is the way to go. It's easy and no need for expensive machines. It also taste way more potent than hot brewed coffee.

Old 02-11-2020, 05:27 PM

114 posts, read 13,778 times
I thought highly of Krups through two or three of them. The problem is that there's now too many models, too many of which are tailored for box/department store markets, and quality varies in both the machines and the pots they brew over time.

My coffee needs are pretty simple, but I like the best pot I can brew without too much fussing around, and I want it to stay consistent over time - not vary with the phase of the moon and the age of the maker until I give up and start over with another, unknown machine that, too, will vary and decline.

Which is why, IMHO, there's really only once choice: Technivorm. Ultra-simple, often rated best in tests... and will brew that same perfect pot every day for many years. I'm about five years into my second (lost custody of the first). Never fails to produce exactly the pot I expect each morning. Not cheap, but cheaper than 3-4 middling-good makers and their cumulative eras where you put up with "eh, this isn't making good coffee any more" for too long.

Old 02-11-2020, 05:32 PM

611 posts, read 147,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Forget about coffee makers, cold brewing is the way to go. It's easy and no need for expensive machines. It also taste way more potent than hot brewed coffee.
I agree, this is the very best way to brew coffee with literally no waste.
I got my Filtron cold-brew coffee filter about 25 years ago and nothing comes close to the pure flavor with reduced oil and acidity. I love good coffee, you name the machine or process and I have tried them all.
From Turkish briki to French press to espresso maker to pour through, percolator, and programmed coffee makers. None compare to cold-brewed.

www.filtron.com

Last edited by Bellacatahoula; 02-11-2020 at 06:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink