U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM

24,941 posts, read 16,048,712 times

Advertisements

Recently I jazzed up some beans cooked in vegetable broth with sliced olives and some of the juice from the olive jar. Reheated, it was good!

I frequently save bits of cooking liquids to add to IP recipes, to add flavor. But I’ve never added juice from olives. Anyone else have secret flavor bombs? I wonder about the juice from the pickle jar?

My homemade broths sometimes taste sweetish and flat. Too much carrot flavor, I think. If you try to strengthen the flavor of a broth with a little Better Than Bouillon, you will also get the flavor of the dextrose in the pot. I suspect the acidity from the olive juice counteracts that flat, sweetish taste.

But even saved meat drippings improves broths or soups. I refrigerate, then scrape iff the fat layer before adding.

Anyone else use flavor bombs?
Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM

750 posts, read 159,091 times
We figured out a local diner uses a little bit of dill pickle chopped finely and a little juice in their corned beef hash. Makes a big difference in flavor.

Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM

4,708 posts, read 5,080,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
We figured out a local diner uses a little bit of dill pickle chopped finely and a little juice in their corned beef hash. Makes a big difference in flavor.

A few weeks back I was at an NFL playoff party, the host had soaked chicken wings
in pickle juice before breading and finishing them off in a air fryer

Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM

51,652 posts, read 3,737,167 times
I use the pickle juice in potato salads, just a little bit, to thin out the mayo. Or any mayo based salad.

Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM

17,207 posts, read 27,750,746 times
I poach chicken breasts in (kosher dill) pickle juice and then make chicken salad. Outstanding flavor! Not too dilly, but just right.

Also, a few drops of piri piri sauce in pizza sauce. Zing!

Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM

11,272 posts, read 5,962,213 times
This thread is making me queasy. But I hate pickles, so there's that.

Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM

7,351 posts, read 5,155,721 times
I add bacon grease to potato salad and it's a hit. I have added olive juice to spaghetti sauce before, it's so good. I do slow cooker chuck roast to make different meals and am thinking of doing an Italian style with a jar of Mezzetta hot cauliflower. I love the stuff, juice and all.

Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM

614 posts, read 148,716 times
Good thread silibran!
I have always used whatever I can or have on hand to add a blast of flavor to most things I cook or make. From simply putting a bay leaf into a potato before baking it, to adding a cinnamon stick to the hot chocolate heating in a pan, or shoving slivers of garlic, into a roast before baking it. When I transitioned into being wfpb vegan I was afraid those little additives were finished, not so. I probably use more flavoring bombs now than ever. I dehydrate mushrooms, grind up in my spice grinder and add that to soups, broths, casseroles, lentil sloppy Joe's etc. I did the same with some of the green tomatoes that didn't ripen in my garden. Sliced, dehydrated and ground add a big punch of flavor to chili, stews, soups etc. I'll add kalamata olives to my pasta sauces but add some of the brine too, lots of flavor, just got to remember for those on low sodium not to add more salt. There are tons of these extras to utilize but they only go as far as our imaginations take us.

Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM

58,898 posts, read 42,574,852 times
Anchovy paste can add lots of flavor, I use it in tapenade and meatloaf among other things.

Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM

614 posts, read 148,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I poach chicken breasts in (kosher dill) pickle juice and then make chicken salad. Outstanding flavor! Not too dilly, but just right.

Also, a few drops of piri piri sauce in pizza sauce. Zing!
I used to brine my chicken in dill pickle juice before grilling. Excellent taste! One of the chicken chains does this now I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or