Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 04:55 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Why?
If it's not raw honey, it probably makes no difference to microwave it. Standard store honey has been filtered and heated (pasteurized).

If it's raw, it contains some beneficial bacteria and enzymes that are destroyed by heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2020, 07:32 PM

21,541 posts, read 8,722,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
If it's not raw honey, it probably makes no difference to microwave it. Standard store honey has been filtered and heated (pasteurized).

If it's raw, it contains some beneficial bacteria and enzymes that are destroyed by heat.
Thanks, that's good to know. I only buy local raw honey because it tastes SO much better.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:06 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
I have some now that's crystallizing. Instead of pouring, I use a butter knife. It goes in my tea.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:23 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times
Honey is really high in fructose which is not all that good for you. Of course neither is glucose, its other main component. When the glucose content is really high the honey will crystallize easily. I used to like honey in tea but it is too sweet for me these days.

Old 03-13-2020, 03:01 AM

61,694 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Honey is really high in fructose which is not all that good for you. Of course neither is glucose, its other main component. When the glucose content is really high the honey will crystallize easily. I used to like honey in tea but it is too sweet for me these days.

Too sweet? Just use less in your tea ..

Old 03-13-2020, 09:29 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It looks like you're buying the good stuff - the real raw honey. Filtrations and pasteurization removes beneficial nutrients like pollen, enzymes and antioxidants. Some producers also add sugar to cut the costs.
Pure, raw and unheated honey has a natural tendency to crystallize over time with no effect on the honey other than color and texture.
Don't fight it, though!
The crystallization of honey actually preserves the flavor and quality characteristics of your honey. Many honey users prefer it in this state as it is easier to spread on bread or toast.
Crystallized honey also tastes richer. When the honey is in a crystallized state it takes longer to melt on your tongue, allowing all of your taste buds to activate and pick up on the subtleties.

But - if you prefer it "running" - do not store it in a cool place. When the temperature of the honey dips below 50°F, the crystallization process will accelerate. Don't store honey in a chilly basement or unheated mudroom. To slow crystallization naturally, store your honey at room temperature or warmer (the warmer the better). Store honey in glass jars instead of plastic.

https://blog.beeraw.com/real-raw-honey-crystal

WARNING:
NEVER use a microwave to decrystalize honey. ... The microwave will essentially destroy all of the beneficial enzymes and properties of the honey. Sure it will return it to a liquid state, but then you can just consider it not much more than a honey colored sweetener. Decrystalize it in a warm water bath.
Also, do not add it to hot fluids (water, tea, milk) for the same reasons.

Actually, I buy the cheap stuff. And mostly, I use it when I make tea (honey and lemon is my preferred, maybe with a little whiskey) and in BBQ sauces, salad dressing. I'm betting the vinegar in the two latter items destroys what little healthy stuff is in the honey. (and I don't eat organic or whatnot anyway.)

I AM grateful for the advice to store it in glass and use hot water to soften it up after it crystallizes. I usually buy this stuff in those plastic squeeze bottles, so these suggestions are helpful.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:30 AM

11 posts, read 5,303 times
I'll second what the others say about buying in smaller sizes. I only had issues with it crystallizing when I used to purchase the bigger jars and have it sit on the counter for long periods of time until I eventually finished it. Now I only purchase the small bottles as needed and haven't had that problem yet.

Old 03-15-2020, 03:45 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
I have a medium-large plastic squeeze bottle half full of crystalized honey. For some reason the hot water bath method isn’t working well, and because of the shape of the bottle, I can’t really scrape out the honey. Grrr.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:18 AM

5 posts, read 3,289 times
Re-heat crystallized honey in very low temperature, and it will stay liquid forever. Put a pan on low heat, put some water in it, and then place your jar of honey in that water. Water will slowly heat and melt that honey. Do not put it on HIGH temperature.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:36 AM

61,694 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Actually, I buy the cheap stuff. And mostly, I use it when I make tea (honey and lemon is my preferred, maybe with a little whiskey) and in BBQ sauces, salad dressing. I'm betting the vinegar in the two latter items destroys what little healthy stuff is in the honey. (and I don't eat organic or whatnot anyway.)
It might suits you needs, but if you're curious - check that cheap stuff. You might not get much honey in it, just artificially colored and flavored high processed sugar.
According to research commissioned by Food Safety News, up to 76% of honey options found in US grocery stores are either fake honey, or have been processed to the point that the majority of food laws around the world would prevent them from being labeled as honey.
https://www.mybeeline.co/en/p/us-76-...-is-fake-honey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink