Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 10:09 AM

50,387 posts, read 36,021,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Aha! There's a grocery app separate from their regular app.
It says there is no pickup slot availability for the next seven days at my local store.

Mine too.

It's not about the app. They are restricting some items to in-store only because they are the things running out as fast as they stock them, so rather than give people false hope that they will get TP or paper towels just because it was added to their cart only to get to the store and find none of the ordered items were actually available when the shopper shopped their order, they are just not allowing those scarce items to be included in shop from home. I'd imagine the workers were getting all kinds of grief from people disappointed and angry that half their order was out of stock.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:58 AM

10,057 posts, read 6,355,792 times
I got the email from WalMart today but there's still no pickup available at any of the stores in my town. I finally signed up for shipt instead and shopped at Target since they had the greatest amount of items that I like at prices that I'll pay. Weiss is just too high priced for me. I might quickly duck into a nearby WalMart to get white cheddar cheese sticks, but that's all; everything else is online ordering for now. Shipt will leave the order on my porch and no one will touch it as all my neighbors are pretty much invisible anyway. I did read that Target is going to have one early hour of shopping for elderly and immuno-compromised people on Wednesday mornings, but I didn't se it until too late this morning or I would have gone then. Other stores are closing down for several weeks, like Belk, Macys, Nordstroms, etc. Of course, there will be no where to go, so no reason to shop there in person anyway.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:49 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,084,266 times
self-leave and self quarantine... = paid vacation for many and once that ball starts rolling ….the others that are working very hard......might just say why am I busting my butt when someone else is at home getting paid the same..

and yes I know why this is set up but its going to be taken advantage of

I work in the grocery business and I see the opposite.....at an independent grocery store...because the employees take pride in their work ….they have worked 12-14 hr days for 12 days straight to get items on the shelves....make deliveries and assist the elderly .

ive had to limit quantities of certain items.... I stopped one lady from filling 3 carriages of toilet paper a crazy world !!

Old 03-18-2020, 07:48 PM

10,296 posts, read 13,812,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
I can't place a pickup order at the walmarts near me, and I was wondering if that's so for others. I couldn't find anything in the news about it, but did read that Stop and shop has suspended pickup (https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/14/coro...ed-demand.html)

If you have the walmart grocery app, that shows 7 days, as opposed to just online, which only shows 2 days. I was wondering, if you have the app, are you finding there's no availability for pick up?

I don't mean their limiting items, but rather no longer doing pickup orders at all.
If restaurants are allowing drive throughs to be open I'm sure Wally World will allow grocery pickup.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:59 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,338,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Mine too.

It's not about the app. They are restricting some items to in-store only because they are the things running out as fast as they stock them, so rather than give people false hope that they will get TP or paper towels just because it was added to their cart only to get to the store and find none of the ordered items were actually available when the shopper shopped their order, they are just not allowing those scarce items to be included in shop from home. I'd imagine the workers were getting all kinds of grief from people disappointed and angry that half their order was out of stock.

Actually, nothing I was trying to order would have been low stock, and the app showed them available (sometimes, when I go to check out, *some* items show as OOS, so I delete them). I simply can't place an order for anything. I do feel for the workers...must be horrid for them now.

ND - I'm guessing they're just overwhelmed now, or just being silent about not allowing it for now (at least by me).

Shipt doesn't operate where I live. But I did stock up weeks ago, and my son has volunteered to get things for me, though I'm not in the vulnerable cohort. I'll be okay. Still, it'd be nice to pick up a loaf of bread. Yeesh.

Old 03-19-2020, 12:36 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,346,670 times
Just saw 2 orders being delivered at our local WalMart this morning while I was in my car waiting for hubby who had gone into the store for a couple of things.

Old 03-19-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
self-leave and self quarantine... = paid vacation for many and once that ball starts rolling ….the others that are working very hard......might just say why am I busting my butt when someone else is at home getting paid the same..

and yes I know why this is set up but its going to be taken advantage of

I work in the grocery business and I see the opposite.....at an independent grocery store...because the employees take pride in their work ….they have worked 12-14 hr days for 12 days straight to get items on the shelves....make deliveries and assist the elderly .

ive had to limit quantities of certain items.... I stopped one lady from filling 3 carriages of toilet paper a crazy world !!

There are going to be many more people getting UNpaid vacation. And it's not the workers fault if the state orders bars to close and restaurants sit empty. To imply the people not working are off due to a work ethic defect is ridiculously unfair.

Old 03-19-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
Actually, nothing I was trying to order would have been low stock, and the app showed them available (sometimes, when I go to check out, *some* items show as OOS, so I delete them). I simply can't place an order for anything. I do feel for the workers...must be horrid for them now.

ND - I'm guessing they're just overwhelmed now, or just being silent about not allowing it for now (at least by me).

Shipt doesn't operate where I live. But I did stock up weeks ago, and my son has volunteered to get things for me, though I'm not in the vulnerable cohort. I'll be okay. Still, it'd be nice to pick up a loaf of bread. Yeesh.

Don't forget your local bakeries, and butcher shops, and produce stands which are now opening.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:19 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,392,666 times
Please contact your local store. Future posts about shopping should be placed in the shopping sub forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink