U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 03:18 AM

2,181 posts, read 5,821,339 times

Advertisements

Hi. what's the difference between all these?

Can I use any of these for making ice cream in an IC machine? TIA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 05:05 AM

64,724 posts, read 61,033,589 times
Well, the easy answer is since that half and half is called that because it's half cream and half milk, it's kind of a given that it's not going to be the same as the other two.

But I am curious also as to whether it could be used to make a reduced-fat ice cream in a machine.

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/w...d-heavy-cream/

Old 03-31-2020, 05:07 AM
Status: "Waiting for coronavirus to end..." (set 27 days ago)

43,546 posts, read 62,298,453 times
Fat content.
Wonder no more. Like its name suggests, half-and-half is simply equal parts milk and cream. Whereas heavy cream is just, you know, cream.
The real difference lies in the fat content: Half-and-half is 10 - 18% fat, and heavy cream falls between 30 - 36%

The higher the fat content the better/creamier ice cream.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:22 AM
Status: "Waiting for coronavirus to end..." (set 27 days ago)

43,546 posts, read 62,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, the easy answer is since that half and half is called that because it's half cream and half milk, it's kind of a given that it's not going to be the same as the other two.

But I am curious also as to whether it could be used to make a reduced-fat ice cream in a machine.

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/w...d-heavy-cream/
Ice creams formulated with low fat have poorer flavor and worse texture than a comparable full fat product. You will get a lot of ice crystals in your ice cream.
Adding an egg might help, but then you will be adding cholesterol. Adding more sugar will somehow improve the taste, but will make it less healthy.
Since the fat is a main component of an ice cream, you will be making, generally, a different product.
In other words, you will be making something more like a frozen yogurt or sherbet than an ice cream.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:02 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,237,151 times
And there is no difference between "heavy cream" and "heavy whipping cream" other than the labeling.

As for ice cream, the only difference I find is Texture (and I make a lot of ice cream). More fat leads to a Much smoother texture, which is Also softer (doesn't freeze hard, closer to soft-serve in texture) ~ while good, it's too rich and doesn't hit the spot for me. I default to half cream, half whole milk for my ice cream as that's a ratio that's easy to remember and hits close to what i like for texture and hardness. It's WAY creamier than anything you can buy in a store, about on par with most boutique ice cream shops.

As for adding eggs, there are exceedingly few recipes that Don't call for eggs.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:06 AM

1,762 posts, read 1,028,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

If that were the goal I would search out gelato recipes.

The fat isn't as much for the taste as it is for the mouthfeel. There are plenty of delicious gelato (even soft-serve "ice cream") but it is lacking the mouthfeel of fatty ice cream that Americans are accustomed to (I don't say this in a bad way!).

My family always made homemade ice cream and we typically used custard based recipes for an extra creamy mouthfeel.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:12 AM

1,026 posts, read 241,958 times
My mother also made a custard with milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and she also used Junket rennet tablets. She used this recipe, but used whole milk, not 2%. I think the Junket tablets help prevent ice crystal formation.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:07 AM

37,378 posts, read 45,395,120 times
Heavy cream = whipping cream.

Half and half is milk and cream.

In recipes from the UK, they're listed as double cream and single cream or just cream.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:10 AM

17,485 posts, read 11,139,368 times
I only use heavy cream in coffee. You will actually lose weight using it as oppose to skim or low fat milk. Because heavy cream has less sugar. Yes, that's right. It is mostly fat and no carbs.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:19 AM

37,378 posts, read 45,395,120 times
Milk in coffee is awful. If there's no real cream, I drink it black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink