Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 12:53 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Just for curiosity - away do you have to shop for groceries several times a week?
Defeats social distancing? I had to stop my husband from this behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 12:58 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
I checked a few times this week for delivery times, on Amazon Fresh, and none were available. Then, about 3 PM yesterday multiple spots opened up for today and tomorrow. I signed up for delivery today between 7 and 9 AM. Everything that was in the basket at that time arrived, twelve out of twelve items.

If I have to, I can probably last another month without leaving the house (just substituting canned fruits and vegetables for fresh).

I'm higher risk and i consider any trip outside (except for walking around my immediate neighborhood) is risking death. Is it really worth potential death to get carryout food or something special from the grocery?

Last edited by germaine2626; 04-08-2020 at 01:35 PM..

Old 04-08-2020, 01:09 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
A few weeks ago we had some stuff delivered from Whole foods. Had to keep trying until after midnight to finally get a delivery time. Once I got a delivery time scheduled, everything went very well, it's a worthwhile service.

Since then I've filled the "shopping cart" for each of Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods. And then went to Checkout to get a delivery time scheduled. And every time, all times were filled, none are available.

This has gone on for several days now. I keep seeing notes from them saying, "Your brand of 2% milk has been deleted from your cart because it is no longer available" or whatever item went missing at the time. I replace it in the cart with something similar, and STILL can't get an available delivery time.

I'd guess that as coronavirus spreads, more and more people want home delivery of groceries, and Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods delivery services are completely swamped. And it will get worse before it gets better.

Has anyone else succeeded in getting delivery from Amazon Fresh and/or Whole Foods in the last week or so? Do they have ANY delivery times left, EVER? I got it one time from Whole Foods two weeks ago, by waiting till after midnight. No luck since.
I used to order regularly from them and the week after TP vanished from regular grocery stores is when this service started saying 'No delivery times available' and I haven't gotten one since.

At first, people turned to them for TP and hand sanitizer and other 'hot' items. Then it became a matter of suddenly way way more people than usual ordering in general.

I agree they are a good service. They were my favorite before all this.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:19 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Hmm, now it's 1:00AM here in San Diego, and STILL neither Amazon Fresh, Whole Foods, Costco, Target, or Walmart have had ANY delivery times available all night. Nothing at 1100PM, nothing at 12 midnight, nothing now.

I'm beginning to detect a pattern here.
Are you trying to get delivery that late at night, or you mean no windows for the next day or further were opening up?

They say that windows do become available. I have no idea when. I try randomly at various times of night or day and never catch one.

But someones are catching them, since they are booked!

Old 04-08-2020, 01:28 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
I had an Amazon order cancelled on me an hour before they were supposed to be delivered from Whole Foods.

We went into Whole Foods a couple of days later and the shelves were bare. The frozen food section was bare. There wasn't much in the store.

We went straight to Publix and got everything we wanted.

I will not bother again with delivery until this mess passes.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:41 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,516,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Just for curiosity - away do you have to shop for groceries several times a week?
We can shop as often as we want, but we keep it to a couple of times a week. It's the only time we've been out of the house the last few weeks. We feel safer doing it this way. We're not even doing takeout or having restaurant food delivered to our house.

Old 04-08-2020, 02:38 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
If I had to, I’d go shopping early in the morning, with my mask on and with a list. I’d minimize time spent in store, and practice distancing. But so far, delivery has worked.

I think we’ll venture to Costco next week. I am already dreading it. There are lines of people waiting to be allowed to shop before opening for senior hours. We’ll take a list. I admit it will be a treat to actually choose foods for myself though. Who would have guessed this?

Old 04-08-2020, 05:15 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I've been using Shipt (Target and Harris Teeter) and haven't had any issues getting delivery times. They may not be the same day (usually within 24 hours) so I try to plan ahead if I really need something.

I got a delivery from Whole Foods via Amazon about 2 weeks ago and haven't tried it since.
Planning ahead for a 24 hour delivery wait? Try getting delayed a week or longer and stacking up sequential deliveries when you can't even tell for sure yet what'll be in the first delivery!

Old 04-09-2020, 03:45 AM

1,584 posts, read 981,928 times
No luck whatsoever with getting a time for Whole Foods home delivery. It would be nice they temporarily hired some of these out-of-work folks looking for jobs to alleviate the situation, Luckily, we’re in pretty good shape here.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:34 AM

4,693 posts, read 3,473,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
No luck whatsoever with getting a time for Whole Foods home delivery. It would be nice they temporarily hired some of these out-of-work folks looking for jobs to alleviate the situation, Luckily, we’re in pretty good shape here.
I think all of those delivery services are hiring. I don't think many people are interested. Why risk death and disease for dirt money? If you are laid off unemployment is safer and more then likely pays more.

As someone not in the high risk group I go shopping once a week. I'm careful following all protocols. I will leave delivery to those in the high risk group. I don't feel comfortable asking someone else to take a risk I wouldn't take. Especially knowing how little they get paid and don't get me started on those that don't tip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink