Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 06:56 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I only ate a few bites of my salad last night, and this morning I feel fine. I'd like to eat the rest of it today. Would you eat it?
I wouldn't, but that's because I don't like dandelion greens. I'm sure it's probably perfectly safe to eat unless you have an allergy and eat enough of it.

My grandma made dandelion salad all the time (she even had a patch in her backyard where she'd grow them, so she always had a fresh supply) and she never could get me to eat the stuff. I was a kid then. Now at almost 40 I still can't stand it. Bleh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 08:29 PM

7,334 posts, read 4,127,994 times
My Italian grandmother-in-law couldn't get supermarket dandelions in the 1970's. She picked them right off the lawn. She finely chopped and saute dandelions to add to chicken soup. It is delicious!

Old 04-09-2020, 09:16 PM

733 posts, read 466,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
My Italian grandmother-in-law couldn't get supermarket dandelions in the 1970's. She picked them right off the lawn. She finely chopped and saute dandelions to add to chicken soup. It is delicious!
My Italian great-grandmother did the same thing!

Old 04-09-2020, 10:58 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen59 View Post
I love to have a green salad, but I want to cut down on trips to the grocery store because of covid 19.

Last night I picked dandelion greens from my back yard. I soaked them and washed them. I sautéed them and also made a salad. I really, really liked both and it was wonderful to have a salad.

However, I feel nervous. Every web site I visited warned 'please buy your dandelion greens in the grocery and never pick wild greens unless you are an expert, because so many very poisonous weeds mimic edible plants.'

I did multiple searches on poisonous weeds, and found nothing that resembles dandelions, which to me are very recognizable and have a yellow flower that even children know. I've had vegetable gardens and never worried about dogs cats and wild animals contaminating them (another big warning.)

I only ate a few bites of my salad last night, and this morning I feel fine. I'd like to eat the rest of it today. Would you eat it?

(I've planted lettuce seeds, but there won't be any lettuce, I'm guessing, until June. Meanwhile, the dandelion is all over the place.)
A military training survival technique is to place a leaf of any unknown plant under your tongue,
if it begins to sting or burn its not edible.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:22 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
There is a plant that looks similar to dandelion. I don't know if it is harmful for people, but it is bad for horses if they eat a lot of it. Two clues: 1. dandelion stems are hollow, and 2. each flower has its own stem. If you see a plant with yellow dandelion-like flowers, but they are on branched stems, that is not dandelion. If the stem is solid, that is not dandelion.

Old 04-10-2020, 05:39 AM

6,703 posts, read 5,930,570 times
I love wild edibles!

Around June, I just pluck dandelions and eat them right out of the yard (we don't spray anything). Sometimes I wash it first. We eat it in salads.

Dandelions seem to have some tonic qualities; it's hard to describe, but somehow it just makes me feel better.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:27 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
There’s a good episode on YouTube of a depression era cook (Clara?) telling her grandson about how she used to harvest dandelions on the way home from work so her family could eat that night.

I’ve never done it myself, as I’m not crazy about bitter greens. I don’t poison my lawn so I think it would be ok to harvest them but I’d worry about taking them from others’ lawns.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:42 PM

1,264 posts, read 666,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
There’s a good episode on YouTube of a depression era cook (Clara?) telling her grandson about how she used to harvest dandelions on the way home from work so her family could eat that night.

I’ve never done it myself, as I’m not crazy about bitter greens. I don’t poison my lawn so I think it would be ok to harvest them but I’d worry about taking them from others’ lawns.
I have seen that episode! The whole Depression Era Cooking with Clara is very inspiring and also reminds me of my grandmother who also did what she could to survive those tough tough times. Lots of knowledge there that I hope we won't need but that knowledge is invaluable if you do need it!
This discussion about dandelions piqued my interest today to the point that I drove over to some family property and picked a large bag of dandelions in no time. A large bowl of cleaned for use in a pasta dish for this evening's meal.
Attached Thumbnails
are dandelion greens safe to eat-img_20200410_130729320.jpg  

Old 04-10-2020, 12:56 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Can I just ask a quick question about dandelion greens? I saw them in the store the other day. I wanted to buy some. My question is how long will they last in the fridge? I don't want to buy them to far out.
I leave them 3 days before I eat them. But they are not hardy. They go bad fast.

Old 04-10-2020, 01:04 PM

1,264 posts, read 666,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I leave them 3 days before I eat them. But they are not hardy. They go bad fast.
This is a tough as nails weed that surprisingly begins wilting soon after picking. A few times during early Spring we typically pick to make a salad for lunch with them right after cleaning. A good soak in cold water after being cleaned gets them nice and crisp again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink