Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 06:48 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times

Advertisements

I’m ok to buy it from the supermarket. I saw some old people pick them up near my walking trail, but I’m not going to pick them myself, too many dogs in my hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 10:17 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Up in.. Amana, Iowa.. They have Amana Village which is kinda like an Amish/Mennonite/craft kinda thing. They have alot of craftsmen around and specialty shops.. That kind of thing. Here you go..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amana_Colonies

There's the accurate description of it.

Anyway.. They had wine tastings.. First off.. Not a wine person.. But they had Dandelion Wine. That was high enough on the weird-o-meter that I had to give it a shot.

Tastes EXACTLY like they smell.. While the smell isn't bad.. That's not a good taste.
The batches I made taste exactly like gin. I had it all to myself.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:29 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,335 times
Quote:
chemo-preventive (anti-angiogenic properties, thus may help prevent cancer).
Really? Sure didn't stop my grandmum dying of lung cancer ~25 years ago....

Old 04-26-2020, 01:15 PM

1,262 posts, read 664,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
The batches I made taste exactly like gin. I had it all to myself.
My late father made dandelion wine seasonally for many years, and although it wasn't my favorite, it was refreshing and pretty good whenever I had it. But I took it for what it was and not what it wasn't.

Sorry!
I meant to quote Labonte

Last edited by Bellacatahoula; 04-26-2020 at 01:24 PM..

Old 04-26-2020, 01:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Grew up on them a polish favorite In Chicago
Not dead yet

Old 05-01-2020, 01:07 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I ate dandelion greens where I used to live. They are bitter and are a traditional spring tonic.

I knew mine didn't have pesticides because this was a beach cottage with mostly sand for a backyard. No one had lived there for years until someone fixed it up--oh wait, an elderly couple had owned it before our landlord bought it and fixed it up inside. The elderly couple didn't garden. We planted grass seed in the back yard, some special kind for very sandy soil, and sure enough, we got dandelion fluff that blew over from a neighbor's yard. Soon I had dandelions. The roots are supposed to be good for you too but I had zero luck trying to pull them up by the roots. I think I steamed the greens, knowing there was no pesticide and that they were supposed to be a good thing to eat. Long story short--yes, the main problem is people who use pesticides.
This is why I'm NOT a fan of dandelion greens. But they are a good source of food if necessary.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:14 AM

126,264 posts, read 19,031,286 times
Young dandelion in spring taste good in salads.I remember mother making dandelion jam and I had years ago dandelion tea.Every spring I have a contest with our wild rabbits who is first at the dandelion smorgasbord

Old 05-01-2020, 12:29 PM

1,262 posts, read 664,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Young dandelion in spring taste good in salads.I remember mother making dandelion jam and I had years ago dandelion tea.Every spring I have a contest with our wild rabbits who is first at the dandelion smorgasbord
Yes in early to mid-Spring dandelions are tender and not so bitter. When they flower or later in season they are edible but are tougher and more bitter. There are many types of greens in the produce section that are as bitter as dandelions, some even more bitter. The old timers picked and ate dandelions to supplement their bodies after a long winter of little or no greens. The roots of dandelions have quite a bit of minerals that the body hadn't had in some time, thus being called a Spring tonic.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:39 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
we ate them for years, but, you have to get them before they flower, otherwise, they become bitter and really not that good any longer. But we used to go around yards and easily dig them up, take them home and wash them off and then mother would make a bacon dressing to put over them. Very tasty.

I strongly believe that God provides for our needs thru nature....yes, there are some things that could harm us, you have to know what your looking for....but dandelion is not one of them, you can even make or purchase a tea, which is beneficial.

our pop pop made wine from Dandelion and also from grapes he grew in the back yard.

Back then, they didn't have bouillon, to flavor soups and broths....nana made home made soups a lot, she believed in the benefits of the bone marrow, so she's cook the bones from beef, chicken, pork and fish and made home made soups from it. They raised their own garden, and quit a big garden at that....they went out to the Patch, which was a patch of land they owned and worked the garden every day in the summer time....until dark....it was a very large garden...then they canned and froze everything...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink