Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 12:29 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times

Advertisements

Yes, I have had Chic-Fil-A and loved it but we have no prospect of one opening here.

Old 04-11-2020, 12:35 PM

8,480 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I've never understood the hype over In & Out. Granted, we don't have them where I live, but when I've traveled to CA, I've tried I&O and found it just meh.
I used to almost get offended when I’d hear someone say that, but then I realized that’s almost exactly how I feel about Chick-fil-A, so I’m probably offending a lot of others. That balances it out, lol.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:06 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Ask for extra crispy. Problem solved!
Oh believe me, I have. It doesn’t help. Good fries are fried twice, at two different temperatures.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:10 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I used to almost get offended when I’d hear someone say that, but then I realized that’s almost exactly how I feel about Chick-fil-A, so I’m probably offending a lot of others. That balances it out, lol.
I’m with you on CFA! It is very very popular here though.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:39 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Chipotle: If you like Mission style burritos and can't get them where you live, Chipotle may hit the spot. Personally Mission burritos are not my thing and I live much of the year in New Mexico which has its own burrito tradition which I am pretty attached to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Chipotle: I'm spoiled when it comes to Mexican. And this ain't it.
Chipotle serves a corporatized version of "Mission style" burritos which were invented by Mexicans in San Francisco which is in the US, so your right, it is not Mexican. Since this thread is about fast food chains, authenticity is moot. Fast Food cochinita pibil or cemitas wouldn't be authentic, either.

Mod Pizza: Never been. Seems interesting despite the cutesy names for their standard pizzas. Both cities I live in have good, local pizzerias, so I am not sure I need the corporate chain influence on my pizzas.

If there was one very close by I would probably try it, but where I live I doubt they would come even close to being a game changer in the pizza scene. More like a place that survives by being close to an entertainment venue like movie theaters or concert halls.

In'n'Out: Solid burger offering at a great price. Animal style is a delicious option, and restaurant to restaurant seems to be very consistent in quality. I don't live near one now, but if I did, I would probably go there. But, if they raised their prices to even Wendy's level, their appeal would drop for me, and even at normal prices I would be swayed to other places just for the french fry issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Ask for extra crispy. Problem solved!
Completely dessicating the fries into crunchy little potato sticks does not seem to help. As sad as they may be normally, getting them animal style is preferable to my taste than overcooking them to death.

KFC: While bad KFC is truly bad, good KFC is a contender for any fast food fried chicken joint. I guess which kind you get is down to management of the individual store. Their novelty foods aren't worth it, but their standard chicken offerings served by the box/bucket can be quite good and their biscuits are decent. Sides are ok as far as fast food goes. They are worth ordering for a rounded meal, but otherwise do not stand out in any way.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:03 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
In-N-Out is overrated. Its like a White Castle with less options.

KFC is best fried chicken batter ever.

Chipotle is good, but I rather opt for a mom and pop Latin immigrant greasy spoons or food trucks.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:13 PM

5,145 posts, read 3,076,394 times
My grades:

In-n-Out: A+ for freshness, value and service (I don’t care about the fries)

Mod Pizza: B- they sell a personal pizza with a crust that is basically a tortilla, plenty of topping choices

Chipotle: C overpriced, and now not much different than the other faux burrito joints like Cafe Rio

Old 04-12-2020, 04:59 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,703,329 times
Rule #1:
There's only so much that can be done with assembly-line food. The 'fast & cheap' business model puts a hard cap on quality. Period.

...which is why...

Rule #2:
No fast food place ever lives up to the hype of the cult status that builds around some of them. Not. Ever.

Old 04-12-2020, 06:14 AM

1,584 posts, read 980,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Rule #1:
There's only so much that can be done with assembly-line food. The 'fast & cheap' business model puts a hard cap on quality. Period.

...which is why...

Rule #2:
No fast food place ever lives up to the hype of the cult status that builds around some of them. Not. Ever.

And on a related note, fast food dishes always look far better in commercials than they do in person. Always.

Old 04-12-2020, 06:17 AM

1,584 posts, read 980,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I only buy Publix or Popeyes fried chicken.

Popeye's is easily my favorite FF fried chicken, especially the spicy version. I've never had KFC fried chicken that's anywhere near as good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink