Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 04:39 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,114 times

Advertisements

you'll need to dock it with a fork to keep it from puffing too much and parbake it so it isn't gooey. Not optimal, but it will work in a pinch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 06:20 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
It will probably turn into a gooey mess. Just go for it and make your own crust. It is really a no brainer.
1 stick butter
1 package cream cheese
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups of flour

Mix butter/cream cheese, add flour/baking powder. Roll out on flowered surface, line well greased baking dish. Freeze! Preheat oven to 400F, have filling ready to go into frozen shell.
No rolling pin - any bottle will do.

That gives you enough dough for two pie plates.
No cream cheese, and I am, of course, strictly avoiding the grocery store.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:26 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
It will probably turn into a gooey mess. Just go for it and make your own crust. It is really a no brainer.
1 stick butter
1 package cream cheese
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups of flour

Mix butter/cream cheese, add flour/baking powder. Roll out on flowered surface, line well greased baking dish. Freeze! Preheat oven to 400F, have filling ready to go into frozen shell.
No rolling pin - any bottle will do.

That gives you enough dough for two pie plates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Its close but probably will cause problems.
The yeast or BP will form gas in the dough causing it to float up.

The best way to do this is to use puff dough,
the best pastry chefs in Paris always use puff dough, cooks use Brise because they lack the technique.

An added benefit is the dough is not blind baked, it can't be.
If the bottom comes out soggy the dough was either too thin or the batter too sloppy (needs more egg).
Bottom of the dough has to be docked to prevent bubbling up.
don't roll it thinner than 1/8th inch.
Forgot to mention in the video, GREASE the mold. I use crisco.

In 50 yrs working in french restaurants, cafes and pastry shops I never made it with pie dough, I never made brise dough, theres no need.
I'm retired now but I apprenticed with a Parisian pastry chef 50 yrs ago, this is how we did it.
https://youtu.be/KzaNKCFVQek
LOL! As a non-Baker, I have no idea what you and several others are talking about. BP? Blind baked? Brise? Dough has to be docked?

Along with the cream cheese, there's no crisco in the house. heck, I haven't even THOUGHT about crisco since the last time I watched my mother make fried chicken - around 1974.

I think I'll keep the crescents in their roll and go with crustless. I'd hate to waste that asparagus on a gloppy mess.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:29 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
BP is probably baking powder. Blind baked just means baking the crust before putting anything in it. Docking is usually pricking the crust (before blind baking) with something like a fork just to put holes in it to prevent it from puffing up while blind baking.

That's as much knowledge as I've gained from watching the Great British Baking Show. I don't actually bake myself. LOL

No idea what brise is.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:11 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,399,979 times
If you have oil you can make a crust that you pat into the pan. I'm a brise girl myself (lah-ti-dah) but it will serve you fine and is easy.

You guys! I want to haul you all into my kitchen and show you how easy pie crust is. (The deal is that you have to watch someone do it and feel it with your fingers. Get that body memory going like people do with dough. Then you have to practice, practice, practice.)

Old 04-17-2020, 12:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
If you have oil you can make a crust that you pat into the pan. I'm a brise girl myself (lah-ti-dah) but it will serve you fine and is easy.

You guys! I want to haul you all into my kitchen and show you how easy pie crust is. (The deal is that you have to watch someone do it and feel it with your fingers. Get that body memory going like people do with dough. Then you have to practice, practice, practice.)
I learned to make pie crust when I was a teenager. I had no idea it was supposed to be hard. So, I simply learned how to do it.

Whatever the result with your first or second crusts, even if you find them wanting, they will be better than any storebought crust.

I agree that you just have to do it. After about three or four, you will have it! It is especially easy now with a food processor.

I do admit that when they stopped making old fashioned Crisco, I had to learn to adjust. Change is painful. But when I found the food processor crusts using cold butter, everything got good again.

Old 04-17-2020, 12:29 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,523,752 times
You can use them for the top of a chicken pot pie, but I wouldn't use for a bottom crust.

Crust can be made with butter, flour, pinch salt, and small amount water. The trick is learning to roll it out & transfer it to pie plate keeping it flakey and not making it tough with extra flour & over rolling.

I taught my sons to roll out crust between two layers of saran wrap, peel off top layer, put pie plate face down on rolled out crust, put hand under bottom layer of plastic & flip whole thing over. Remove remaining plastic & arrange crust in pie plate.

Old 04-17-2020, 01:01 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Am I the only person who doesn't have flour in my house? Everyone is all "crusts are so easy" and I'm over here thinking "not easy if you don't have flour!"

Old 04-17-2020, 01:09 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Am I the only person who doesn't have flour in my house? Everyone is all "crusts are so easy" and I'm over here thinking "not easy if you don't have flour!"

That wouldn't be easy, that'd be magical.

Old 04-17-2020, 01:29 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,916,678 times
Funny, I just made a quiche with a crust and we are usually crustless quiche eaters but they had Marie Callendar pie crusts on sale so I splurged. I can't imagine that the crescent rolls are that much different - maybe a bit thicker? In any case, the quiche recipe I used said to bake the crust first.

If I were to try using the rolls, I'd use a rolling pin and roll out the dough as thin as I could get it and still be manageable, place the dough in the pie pan, prick the bottom with a fork, and then bake for about 12 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool before adding the quiche filling.

Do let us know if you do it and how it turns out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink