Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 02:33 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,303,084 times

Advertisements

Of the few times I cooked rib portion meat, it was always roasted as prime rib.

If I cut it into steaks and grill over fire, I'm sure it will taste great also, but does it eats more like prime rib or a new york strip steak?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 02:43 AM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Ribeye is tastier because of it's fat amount and tenderness.
Read this:
https://www.smokedbbqsource.com/new-...he-difference/

The best, high-end steaks are the ribeye, strip loin, tenderloin, T-bone and Porterhouse steaks. These cuts come from high up on the animal, from muscles that don't get much exercise, which is why they're so tender. They all are very tasty, although they differ in tenderness.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:33 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Ribeye tastes more like a strip steak with more fat IMO. It's not necessarily any better or worse, just depends on your taste buds.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:45 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,069 times
I'm a ribeye fan over any other cut of meat.

The strip sirloins are not nearly as tender although they have a good taste. Our local grocery stores' meat is just not high quality enough to where their sirloin is tender enough for me.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:48 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Of the few times I cooked rib portion meat, it was always roasted as prime rib.

If I cut it into steaks and grill over fire, I'm sure it will taste great also, but does it eats more like prime rib or a new york strip steak?
If I read your question correctly, the "taste" is dependent on which cooking method you are using.

Prime rib is roasted in the oven.
Your NY strip and rib eye steaks are grilled over fire.

Two entirely different results.

For steak, we prefer rib eye, but ny strip is a very close second. Mostly, I'll choose whichever is cheaper (read: on sale).

Old 04-19-2020, 09:38 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,230,685 times
I'm a NY steak guy.

While I like a ribeye, I prefer the lower fat of the NY; firmer texture and more beef to fat flavor.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:30 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I don't think it is like either one. The rib eye will be much more tender than the New York steak. The grilled rib eye will taste of smoke and charcoal so it is very unlike the standing rib roast.

The fat dripping on the coals gives a very nice smoked flavor to grilled steak. The rib eye gets more of that flavor than the New York because it has a lot more ft to drip onto the coals to give the flavoring smoke.

Not that I don't appreciate a good New York cooked on the grill. That's a very good steak. I also appreciate the price difference. The New York is considerably cheaper and it is still an excellent steak.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:33 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The rib eye will be much more tender than the New York steak.
I have not noticed any difference in tenderness between the Ribeye and the NY Strip. That said, I prefer the strip, too much fat in the ribeye for me. The less fat, the better, for my tastes. I'd rather have the tenderloin, but at 2-4 times the price of the strip, it's a rare treat.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:41 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Honestly I'm not much of a prime rib fan. Just doesn't have much taste to me. I like the occasional ribeye, but like a couple folks have mentioned above, I really prefer a more "beefy" tasting beef and less of the fat. One of my favorite cuts is actually the tritip but stores don't carry it often around here. We don't have a real butcher shop in the area, so we're stuck with mass production beef, which just is lower quality.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:52 PM

27,205 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Steak lovers tend to prefer Ribeyes from my experiences as the marbling is where most of the flavor comes from. NY Strips unless cooked rare, medium rare or medium are kind of flavorless unless marinated or highly seasoned and can be rather tough minus some quality time with a marinade. A minimally seasoned Ribeye on the other hand will have much more flavor and is as mentioned better suited for real steak lovers, versus those who might obsess about fat content.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink