Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 07:01 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times

Advertisements

The man in my household is my son and he is an excellent cook. He specializes in Mexican food and barbecue (grilling to y'all in the deep south), but he can cook all sorts of things.

Right now, the deal is I cook and he does dishes for the meals that we eat together. His work has odd hours, so he cooks a lot of meals for himself and cleans up after himself.

He does his own laundry, too.

I suspect that some men pretend they can't cook so they won't have to cook. Just like I pretend I don't know how to do plumbing. I can but won't if I can get someone else to do it for me.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:20 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,414,875 times
You must be joking LOL. Does he know how to cook? YES, does ever cook? NO.Now that his hours are cut he's home by 3:30 instead of 6:00 pm, I get home 5:15. He did put 2 baking potatoes in the oven for me because I asked him put them in at 4:30. I bake them naked on baking sheet, poke some wholes then in about 1 hour and 15 min they are done and the inside is fluffy and the skin is crispy. I am a control freak in the kitchen so better I do it than him. not a big deal it's just the 2 of us and I can have dinner on the table in 30 minutes.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:25 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
What an insulting thread... apparently men aren't capable of cooking? Dumb.

I prepare 95% of all our meals, the rest are split between eating out and my wife cooking. A man who can't (or won't) cook isn't much of a man by my opinion, and even less of a "partner".

How about we start a thread "Is the woman in your house actually working now?" ~ lets see how well That one would fly?
LOL the woman in my house is working

Old 04-28-2020, 08:57 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,770,556 times
Mine always HAS cooked.

When we were young and struggling (a period which lasted a long time, because of my addiction to leveraging - resulting in many times when we were rolling pennies to buy food or pay mortgages on buildings which were not yet "cash-flowing"), he could make a big, cheap pot of organic beans, grains, and vegetables, as well as could I. And he always got the Egg Drop Soups just-right.

Making spice blends and low-glycemic raw sauces, were my jobs, while he'd cook Pasta con Verdure, to receive the spices and the sauces. He could turn out a spectacular Red Beans, Brown Rice, and Green Lentils, or a comforting stock pot full of Kamut, Chick Peas, and Caraway. His various polentas (the corn meal pureed mostly with carrots) looked fancy but were dirt-cheap.

Since he, personally, preferred to mostly eat raw/nearly-raw dark, leafy greens, he's been the expert on lightly steaming and blanching broccoli, etc. But anything involving a steamer, he excels at. He can build a steamer pot of Onion, Squash, and Tomato (Swimming in olive oil or butter, once it's plated), that will bring tears to your eyes, it's so good.

He, and our daughter (who inherited his intensity, while the boys inherited my gregariousness) obsessively disinfected and prepped fruits & vegetables to be eaten raw. Our daughter's territory was also both the citrus juicer, and the power juicers - a critical job, in a milieu where booze and soft drinks were both unthinkable. The boys developed into dangerously-good bakers of puff pastry, and makers of multi-grain matzo balls - and even their own fresh pasta. DH began making fillings from raw fruits, and my spice blends, to spoon into all those pastry shells and brioches the boys were making.

Now, the kids have moved toward a stricter, Kosher/Near-Vegan/Rawist foodway, while DH and I have adopted a Keto/OMAD way of eating: NO MORE CARBS (not many, anyway: certainly sparse fruits and no grains) My husband can steam thin-cut steaks, or poach salmon, as well as can I. I'm better at creating big pots of spiced meat stock (poaching chicken breasts or big pieces of beef). Then, he'll come in, prep and add the vegetables, quickly scoop them out of the poaching liquid - and we're ready to plate-up.

But if you'd ask him if he cooks, he'd say "No".

Old 04-28-2020, 10:13 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,185,807 times
My husband has always cooked on the weekends and that hasn't changed. He's still working, only he works from home three days a week now. He's quite talented at cooking, and he makes such some fantastic meals many of which are pretty complicated. He destroys my kitchen in the process, but his meals are delicious enough that I just go with it, knowing that Monday the kitchen will be a disaster. The other issue is that he watches these chefs on YouTube to get inspiration and now he wants to buy all these pricey pans and kitchen gadgets, not to mention our spice collection has grown a lot!! And we're talking obscure spices now, ones that I cannot buy at the normal market. Lol.

Old 04-28-2020, 10:37 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
When my husband worked from home for a few years, he rarely cooked lunch. When he did, it was something quick like grilled cheese or eggs. He'd usually make a sandwich, eat leftovers, or find something in the freezer of pantry.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I disagree with you. He is a very intelligent man! Do it right once and you get to do it again.
That reminds me of when I was a tween and mom gave me the responsibility of cleaning the bathroom on Sat. From the very first week, she informed me I was to do a good job. Not excited about my new chore I simply said, well if I don't do a good job what about it? She informed me I would do it again and again until I got it right. For some reason I decided to do a good job the first time and from then on. That was 70 plus years ago and I am still cleaning bathrooms.

Old 04-29-2020, 06:26 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
He's definitely a meat and potatoes guy but I've never seen him peel potatoes for anything he's fixed.
Peel potatoes?

I never peel them, the skins are edible. I don't peel carrots or parsnips either, only turnips and rutabagas.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:10 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
When I was laid up last year, hubby took over the cooking and seemed to like it, but he hasn’t kept up with it. We got a few packaged meal plans and he followed the directions pretty well.

Now, he enjoys cooking for the dog, which means he chops celery and carrots in the food processor once a week and stores it in the fridge to add to the dogs dinner, along with broth. This seems to be all he wants to do in the culinary department. He does warm up leftovers for lunch.

He has trouble with the nuances of how high the heat should be for things. So if I have to tell him you can’t cook scrambled eggs, or a grilled cheese, on high heat, for example, it kind of spoils his fun.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:50 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
I'm actually astounded by this thread. I'm also somewhat offended. I perceive it as a generational gap. I'm thinking a lot of the posters on it are 55+ or 60+ women who came up in a different time. Due to the fact that they came up in a different time, biological sex roles were different and perhaps many defied the odds and kept a marriage afloat for 25+ years.

I'm in my mid-30s. I have never married. I have never lived with any of my girlfriends. I started having to fend for myself with meals once I moved out of the college dorm. I soon realized that I would have to learn some amount of meal preparation, at least until I had a wife or a live in girlfriend. By the time I turned 26, I had a decent repertoire as a cook. At some point, after more experience in dating and reading about the current state of romantic relationships, I realized the transience of romantic relationships. In this era, I shouldn't expect anything to last a long time. Given that societal sea change, I knew that cooking would be a regular part of my life.

I have no idea what the future holds for me. I know that I am now a decent cook and am good at the grocery store. Because I've been handling the meal preparation process for ~15 years, I feel comfortable with it. I would retain that role in a live in girlfriend or wife situation.

I'm observing now in the Millennial generation (and possibly Gen Z) that many men are decent cooks and many women's cooking skills are diminishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink