Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 08:59 AM

289 posts, read 255,130 times

Advertisements

The man in my wife's life is cooking. But, he always cooked.

I enjoyed cooking since before I got married at age 22. Now, we both cook. She cooks more than me, and she does more of other things than I do, too. Of course, I do more of different things than she does. It all evens out. We are happy.

Old 04-29-2020, 09:11 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Ha, ha, no. He actually likes frozen meals, canned soup, lunchmeat. He will grill anything during the warmer months, however. Of course I always do the prep work beforehand.

He can make coffee, however. And, he can make baked potatoes.
Similar here, except that he can scramble eggs and doesn’t bake potatoes. I did have to train him on heat for grilling meats and to NOT slice into items just removed from the heat.

Our generations had the middle school (what was called junior high back then, grades 7 and 8 in our town) boys take shop and the girls take home ec. This makes a difference in “basic training” that sometimes lasts for decades.

Last edited by pikabike; 04-29-2020 at 09:20 AM..

Old 04-29-2020, 09:15 AM

4,343 posts, read 2,229,962 times
And I'm from the generation that had junior highs and not middle schools, took shop, AND I know how to cook (and taught my wife how to boil an egg!)

Boom - broken stereotype.

Old 04-29-2020, 09:24 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
And I'm from the generation that had junior highs and not middle schools, took shop, AND I know how to cook (and taught my wife how to boil an egg!)

Boom - broken stereotype.
It WAS called junior high in my generation. I used the newer term so people would know what ages were involved.

Anyway, even then IF a boy wanted to take home ec and IF a girl wanted to take shop instead of the defaults, he or she could do so. However, no boys ever took home ec during the time I was in junior high, and ONE girl took shop.

Some people later try to learn the skills they missed out on, other people do not. Whatever works for the couple in question, that’s perfectly OK, stereotype or not. BTW, I don’t care for the thread title either, but it does apply to a fair percentage of couples of that generation.

Old 04-29-2020, 09:37 AM

1,264 posts, read 665,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
What an insulting thread... apparently men aren't capable of cooking? Dumb.

I prepare 95% of all our meals, the rest are split between eating out and my wife cooking. A man who can't (or won't) cook isn't much of a man by my opinion, and even less of a "partner".

How about we start a thread "Is the woman in your house actually working now?" ~ lets see how well That one would fly?
Lol! Good on you Brian!
This is truly a rather sexist thread.
I grew up as the youngest of three. My mother was a prototypical American housewife for the time 1950's-60's. My father worked a lot, so he wasn't in the kitchen much at all. But when I was 14 my mother passed away suddenly. My brother and sister had already left the nest, so it was just dad and myself. His role drastically changed, but unfortunately he was a lousy cook, he tried but everything was cooked on high heat, so, much was ... burned. After a couple months of this I decided to become the house cook. It wasn't easy at first, but I latched onto a couple cookbooks, and found this cooking thing wasn't just utilitarian, I enjoyed it. So now nearly 50 years later, I'm still the main cook in our house. My wife and I are both retired, so we have time but she prefers me to cook most of our meals and that's fine by me as I have the luxury most cooks only dream of..... I have someone to clean up after my cooking escapades!
What this thread should have been about is.... What works best in your kitchen?

Old 04-29-2020, 09:53 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I'm actually astounded by this thread. I'm also somewhat offended. I perceive it as a generational gap. I'm thinking a lot of the posters on it are 55+ or 60+ women who came up in a different time. Due to the fact that they came up in a different time, biological sex roles were different and perhaps many defied the odds and kept a marriage afloat for 25+ years.

I'm in my mid-30s. I have never married. I have never lived with any of my girlfriends. I started having to fend for myself with meals once I moved out of the college dorm. I soon realized that I would have to learn some amount of meal preparation, at least until I had a wife or a live in girlfriend. By the time I turned 26, I had a decent repertoire as a cook. At some point, after more experience in dating and reading about the current state of romantic relationships, I realized the transience of romantic relationships. In this era, I shouldn't expect anything to last a long time. Given that societal sea change, I knew that cooking would be a regular part of my life.

I have no idea what the future holds for me. I know that I am now a decent cook and am good at the grocery store. Because I've been handling the meal preparation process for ~15 years, I feel comfortable with it. I would retain that role in a live in girlfriend or wife situation.

I'm observing now in the Millennial generation (and possibly Gen Z) that many men are decent cooks and many women's cooking skills are diminishing.
Yes. Older men might well not cook. Or they might. It isn’t as if there is some rule that they won’t. I know an old guy who cooks regularly.

My DH lacks the affinities you need to be a good cook. And he is not a good taster. He prioritizes convenience over other things. He has other talents.

The previous generation of men probably would do even less in the kitchen, if my father and FIL were indications. Kitchen work was “women’s work.”

I believe that cooking is a valuable life skill that eveyone needs to learn. All my kids can cook.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:01 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Similar here, except that he can scramble eggs and doesn’t bake potatoes. I did have to train him on heat for grilling meats and to NOT slice into items just removed from the heat.

Our generations had the middle school (what was called junior high back then, grades 7 and 8 in our town) boys take shop and the girls take home ec. This makes a difference in “basic training” that sometimes lasts for decades.
I do remember middle school home ec. DH went to a rural school that had no shop or home ec. I honestly do not think he has a talent for cooking. He has other talents.

Not everyone has an affinity for cooking. Some people really do simply eat to live.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:05 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Quote:
Is the man in your life actually cooking now?
Kidding? Bahahha huaaa! He doesn't even know where the salt is and where the utensils go.

On a rare evening after supper, he will help rinse the dishes and put them in the dishwasher and wipe the table.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:07 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I'm actually astounded by this thread. I'm also somewhat offended. I perceive it as a generational gap. I'm thinking a lot of the posters on it are 55+ or 60+ women who came up in a different time. Due to the fact that they came up in a different time, biological sex roles were different and perhaps many defied the odds and kept a marriage afloat for 25+ years.

I'm in my mid-30s. I have never married. I have never lived with any of my girlfriends. I started having to fend for myself with meals once I moved out of the college dorm. I soon realized that I would have to learn some amount of meal preparation, at least until I had a wife or a live in girlfriend. By the time I turned 26, I had a decent repertoire as a cook. At some point, after more experience in dating and reading about the current state of romantic relationships, I realized the transience of romantic relationships. In this era, I shouldn't expect anything to last a long time. Given that societal sea change, I knew that cooking would be a regular part of my life.

I have no idea what the future holds for me. I know that I am now a decent cook and am good at the grocery store. Because I've been handling the meal preparation process for ~15 years, I feel comfortable with it. I would retain that role in a live in girlfriend or wife situation.

I'm observing now in the Millennial generation (and possibly Gen Z) that many men are decent cooks and many women's cooking skills are diminishing.
Too much salt in the soup this morning:>)
My grandfather was a cook. His kitchen uniform were suit pants, suspenders, wife beater and a chefs apron accessorized with the everlasting cold cigar. The kitchen door was a half door with a serving ledge. Women were allowed for clean up or to make strudel.
My father would have starved to death in front of a full refrigerator. But he knew his way around wine and chef's tables.
SO can cook, sew, garden, iron, balance a check book AND fix everything I manage to break.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:12 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times
Quote:
Is the man in your life now cooking now?
I think the man in my life is actually cooking less. He's an excellent cook, grew up cooking, and at various times when we were raising our kids, was the main dinner cook. Since we retired we've been equally sharing the cooking duties. He normally has no problem deciding what to have for a meal, going shopping for it and then preparing it, but I think he's having a hard time dealing with the current constraints of cooking with the food we have on hand, and coming up with ideas. Though he's not offering to cook dinner on a regular basis at the moment, he's still great with baking, and will make crusts for a quiche or pastries/breads at the drop of a hat. Too often.

Last edited by Gorges; 04-29-2020 at 10:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink