Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 02:11 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times

Advertisements

Yes. It's very hard to find the Italian pastas that I usually buy such as DeCecco or Mulini. Last weekend, the only pasta at the local supermarket was three boxes of Creamette elbow macaroni that were partially torn open.

Old 05-05-2020, 02:31 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Pizza dough, bisquits, etc. Sour dough making is a huge trend right now, and if you don't have starter you need yeast to make a starter.
No, you don't need yeast to make sourdough starter. You only need flour, water and patience.

Here is a recipe which calls for whole rye or whole wheat flour but you can also make it from unbleached white flour.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/reci...starter-recipe

I started mine about 6 weeks ago without knowing that my daughter also started her batch the previous week. We have been exchanging recipes using sourdough starter (bread, pizza, bruchetta, english muffins/crumpets, crackers etc.)

Back to the OP about pasta shortage. I have had no problems ordering whole wheat pasta online in the last 6 weeks. The only 'shortage' which I experienced was semolina flour. We like to add some semolina flour to our wholewheat bread and bagels. When we ran out of it 6 weeks ago, I was surprised to find it was sold out at many places or available at exorbitant prices. It's cheaper for me to order whole wheat pasta (~$1/lb) than to buy semolina flour at $2-$4/lb.

We have been grinding our own flour (both bread and pastry/cake) from organic hard and soft wheat berries for many years. I was thinking of order durum wheat berries (to make semolina flour) but found its price had gone up too (~$1.7/lb).

We buy the wheat berries in bulk (25 lbs) and use our Wonder Mill to grind a small batch at a time (it takes less than 5 minutes to grind the berries). Whole wheat flour does not have long shelf life (3 months) but the berries can last for at least a year.

Some people had mentioned spaghetti sauce shortage. If you are not too fussy about a particular brand, you can order the sauces online. I recently order 8 cans of Hunt's spaghetti sauce from walmart for something like $1/can.

Old 05-05-2020, 07:24 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Some people had mentioned spaghetti sauce shortage. If you are not too fussy about a particular brand, you can order the sauces online. I recently order 8 cans of Hunt's spaghetti sauce from walmart for something like $1/can.
I have been looking for Bertolli Four Cheese Rosa, which has been unavailable in my area since the pandemic.

Old 05-06-2020, 02:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Today there were limited choices of spaghetti. I snagged a box. I saw some other sorts of pasta, but spaghetti was limited. There seemed to be plenty of jarred sauce, however.

There was plenty of the whole grain and veggie pastas.

Old 05-06-2020, 02:53 PM

61,711 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Yes. There seems to be a shortage in spaghetti type of pasta. Shows that many people lack imagination in cooking...

Old 05-06-2020, 04:48 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yes. There seems to be a shortage in spaghetti type of pasta. Shows that many people lack imagination in cooking...
HEY! I resemble that remark!

Thankfully, I am in charge of bulk purchases, and my wife is in charge of variety.
She buys one each of 40 different things, I buy ten each of 4 things.

A month ago, reports were that wheat production is plentiful (the next report is due out tomorrow). But at the same time, reports of international distribution problems, due to political concerns, came out, and the distribution could be a problem all of this year and next.

Old 05-06-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Well, in this household it shows that the cook is tired of thinking too hard about supper. And that her DH absolutely loves spaghetti.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:50 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
HEY! I resemble that remark!

Thankfully, I am in charge of bulk purchases, and my wife is in charge of variety.
She buys one each of 40 different things, I buy ten each of 4 things.

A month ago, reports were that wheat production is plentiful (the next report is due out tomorrow). But at the same time, reports of international distribution problems, due to political concerns, came out, and the distribution could be a problem all of this year and next.
Because fortunately wheat production is very much handled with machines and very little close human interaction needed unlike meat plants.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:14 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I know that it might sound unbelievable but you can make your own sauce using tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, onions peppers, etc. It is quite easy and generally better than the bottled sauces.
Canned tomato products have also been MIA in my grocery visits.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Canned tomato products have also been MIA in my grocery visits.
Odd. I bought canned tomatoes and jarred sauce today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink