Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 10:45 AM

24,135 posts, read 10,449,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I've started seeing people on Nextdoor offering to "share" some flour....obviously they bought like a 50# sack in a hoarding panic and now they regret it. Sad. One woman even wanted to "share" some of the 2# bag of YEAST she bought.
SHeesh.

Obviously everyone offering to share is a hoarder in regret mode So am I for offering yeast! Absolutely!

Old 05-04-2020, 10:47 AM

24,135 posts, read 10,449,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've found that any particular food shortages depend on the type of grocery store. The big chains run out of certain things, that smaller locally-owned chains, co-ops and neighborhood supermarkets don't run out of. Also, some of the health-food chains seem to manage to remain stocked of nearly everything; I don't know how they do it. Sprouts is very reliable, IDK if you have one in your area. It's not as popular as Whole Foods, so people seem to overlook it, when they're in hoarding mode. Trader Joe's does pretty well, if you get there by early afternoon or earlier. They have deliveries daily at 8 a.m.
It seems to depend on the geographic location. Our Sprouts is gross to say the least.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:19 AM

15,124 posts, read 27,625,576 times
Quote:
I've started seeing people on Nextdoor offering to "share" some flour....obviously they bought like a 50# sack in a hoarding panic and now they regret it. Sad. One woman even wanted to "share" some of the 2# bag of YEAST she bought.
SHeesh.
Not sure why you have a problem with someone being generous and offering to share supplies.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:27 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,004,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I am reading contempt between these lines, sorry if I am mistaken. Perhaps your neighbors bought those large denominations because the smaller ones were sold out. I was just going to suggest to the earlier poster who could only get an 8 lb sack of rice to see if some of her neighbors would like a lb or two. That is what I would do, rather than hoard all 8 lbs of rice, or 50 lbs of flour in my garage, only to have to throw it out later because it went rancid or got bugs in it.

I don't think sharing is contemptible, I think it is what decent people do when they have more than they need.
All good, I could be wrong too but I was reading from the full tests of these Nextdoor posts that it's people who got caught up in the hoarding fury, now feeling hungover and trying to recover. The sharing part is nice, agreed. But the initial impulse purchase probably locked others out that may have needed that large quantity.

FWIW I'm now also seeing head-scratching social media posts from people saying "what am I going to do with all this zucchini?!" They'll throw it out, and that would be sad.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:47 AM

20,868 posts, read 28,233,256 times
As far as Jar pasta sauce goes I make my own using canned tomatoes. Have not had an issue getting that. I make enough to freeze about for qts.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:49 AM

4,972 posts, read 5,233,885 times
Quote:
All good, I could be wrong too but I was reading from the full tests of these Nextdoor posts that it's people who got caught up in the hoarding fury, now feeling hungover and trying to recover. The sharing part is nice, agreed. But the initial impulse purchase probably locked others out that may have needed that large quantity.

FWIW I'm now also seeing head-scratching social media posts from people saying "what am I going to do with all this zucchini?!" They'll throw it out, and that would be sad.
It's all contextual. Zuchinni has always been something where if you have enough you end up with too much. I bought some the other day to test out dehydrating. I'm also growing some with hopes of preserving it in the event I need it later. I have to beat out the squash borers first.

I found yeast online after the stores were empty. It was buy it by the pound or not have any. I'll share with neighbors or friends if I hear they are looking for some. I'm not going to look for people. I'll just use it up as I bake. I already made a loaf of bread this morning. It's not going to waste. I also bought flour online after there was none in the stores. I bought 15 # because I was already paying the shipping. I've already used most of that up. Our stores have flour now. I'll probably buy a big bag because I'm baking several times a week since I'm not going to the store as much.

My stores have most everything back in stock except yeast. There is plenty of milk, eggs, meat, toilet paper, etc. It may not be the brand you normally use, but it is available. I'm guessing this isn't the case for other people. I'm still reading about shortages.

Old 05-04-2020, 12:09 PM

15,124 posts, read 27,625,576 times
Many people are buying the large sizes from their local restaurants to try to help them out.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:04 PM

32,539 posts, read 47,619,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
.........People were buying ANYTHING that was food. I saw a guy who had 8 bottles of salad dressing. No salads. Lady had a cart full of milk. Hell I estimated about 30 gallons of milk. Where EXACTLY are you gonna put 30 one gallon bottles of milk before they spoil? . Another guy has a cart full of meat. All kinds. No rhyme or reason. I guarantee you that guy didn’t have enough bread pasta or whatever helper to cook all that meat. ........

I agree that people are not being completely rational. If everyone would behave and shop like they always have, there would be plenty of food.

The food shortage thing is a self-fulfilling prophesy. The hoarders strike and clean off the shelves and then the rational non-panicked folks discover that they can't buy what they need and they will start to pick up extra in self defense.

But who knows what people are planning for their extras? Eight bottles of salad dressing and no salad? So what? Salad dressing can be used for all sorts of things besides salad. It's used for marinade and as dip for french fries. Some families have picky eaters who will only eat one brand and they don't want to run out.

Maybe the milk lady was buying for a hospice or she needs it to mix with oatmeal to soak her eczema. That meat can be frozen and no one has to have bread or hamburger helper before they can cook meat.

I haven't actually seen anyone with huge mounds of any one item, except for the first week or so when people were buying 10 or 12 flats of bottled water.

Some stores are limiting purchases and all the stores have big signs up that toilet paper, rice, and a few other items that the hoarders are stocking up on can not be returned.

So far, I've been able to find what I need, or else I can find a good substitute, or I can find everything I need to make something else.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:48 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,322,503 times
At first (March), pasta was hard to come by or very limited choices. Since about mid April, not an issue. Flour and eggs have been harder to find recently.

Old 05-04-2020, 05:10 PM

4,972 posts, read 5,233,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

People were buying ANYTHING that was food. I saw a guy who had 8 bottles of salad dressing. No salads. Lady had a cart full of milk. Hell I estimated about 30 gallons of milk. Where EXACTLY are you gonna put 30 one gallon bottles of milk before they spoil? . Another guy has a cart full of meat. All kinds. No rhyme or reason. I guarantee you that guy didn’t have enough bread pasta or whatever helper to cook all that meat. . I remember there was two boxes of crackers. I grabbed them and looked up and this lady was saying honey grab some crackers. Guy looked at me. I said here want one. And handed it over. No big deal.
People were simply panic buying anything. You do understand what the meaning of the word panic and buying means?
I saw a woman with a full load of milk after a hurricane. I must have given her a look because she said she was running a coffee shop.

Meat can be frozen. Salad dressing can be used for a lot of stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink