Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Buffalo wings breaded or smooth?
Breaded and dipped in buffalo sauce 3 8.11%
Smooth and dipped in buffalo sauce 26 70.27%
Both are buffalo wings 4 10.81%
I consider neither of these as buffalo wings 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 04:27 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times

Advertisements

Every so often, I'll have a taste for buffalo wings. I've tried many restaurants and have found it hard to find true buffalo wings. Most places outside of NYC, including pizza shops, apparently dip the wings in batter, fry or bake them, then dump buffalo sauce on top of them. This is what I have currently in front of me purchased from Dominoes. I think I'll have to forego ordering buffalo wings altogether and make my own at home going forward. I'm interested in other buffalo wings-lovers opinion on this. Do you consider the little breaded wings dipped in sauce as buffalo wings or the smooth baked wings dipped in sauce as buffalo wings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 05:04 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Sorry - if you buy wings at Domino's you get what they sell. Seven minutes in the air fryer.

Old 05-17-2020, 05:08 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,070,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Every so often, I'll have a taste for buffalo wings. I've tried many restaurants and have found it hard to find true buffalo wings. Most places outside of NYC, including pizza shops, apparently dip the wings in batter, fry or bake them, then dump buffalo sauce on top of them. This is what I have currently in front of me purchased from Dominoes. I think I'll have to forego ordering buffalo wings altogether and make my own at home going forward. I'm interested in other buffalo wings-lovers opinion on this. Do you consider the little breaded wings dipped in sauce as buffalo wings or the smooth baked wings dipped in sauce as buffalo wings?
"Buffalo style" has come to generally mean a cayenne based hot sauce (like Frank's) coating, and may also include blue cheese or blue cheese dressing used or served in some manner.

Good wings served Buffalo style are meaty, separated, never breaded, deep fried, slightly crispy, coated in hot sauce not dipped, served with blue cheese dressing, and celery or carrot sticks, or both.

Good wings in Buffalo have a variety of different home-made hot sauce recipes, and are usually fried but sometimes baked. I have never had, nor seen them breaded locally. Here the default style is referred to as just "wings" (like 10 medium wings, 20 hot wings, etc). Usually anything other than the traditional style is called out as a separate menu item, but there are neighborhood variations on what is considered "traditional" (not always cayenne based).

I would rather go months without any wings than settle for bad or sub-par wings. Breaded wings are a no-go. If I want breaded or battered chicken I will find a good fried chicken restaurant instead. The last thing I want to eat are the tiny slimy wing parts found in most out of town places.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:47 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
No breading in proper wings. They are fried till crispy and drenched in a buffalo sauce that is basically hot sauce + butter.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:54 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
No breading in proper wings. They are fried till crispy and drenched in a buffalo sauce that is basically hot sauce + butter.
I also prefer no breading/batter, but only if the above bolded criteria is achieved. For me, crispiness is probably the single most important factor to a good wing. As to sauce, I like mine only moderately coated with sauce, but I suspect I'm in the minority on that preference.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:12 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I also prefer no breading/batter, but only if the above bolded criteria is achieved. For me, crispiness is probably the single most important factor to a good wing. As to sauce, I like mine only moderately coated with sauce, but I suspect I'm in the minority on that preference.
Non crispy buffalo wings are horrible. And if you can't eat them fresh out of the fryer - they need to be crisped up again in the oven.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
As people have noted, true Buffalo - style wings, in the tradition of bars in the city itself, aren't breaded, they're fried, then tossed in butter and hot sauce.

I air fry mine, which is akin to baking them, but to a more crispy end. Then deposit them in a bowl of butter whisked with Frank's with tongs, toss them around till coated, then serve.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:29 PM

Default That's fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Sorry - if you buy wings at Domino's you get what they sell. Seven minutes in the air fryer.
That's fine. I don't care if they're cooked in an air fryer or oven. They shouldn't be breaded, though.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
"Buffalo style" has come to generally mean a cayenne based hot sauce (like Frank's) coating, and may also include blue cheese or blue cheese dressing used or served in some manner.

Good wings served Buffalo style are meaty, separated, never breaded, deep fried, slightly crispy, coated in hot sauce not dipped, served with blue cheese dressing, and celery or carrot sticks, or both.

Good wings in Buffalo have a variety of different home-made hot sauce recipes, and are usually fried but sometimes baked. I have never had, nor seen them breaded locally. Here the default style is referred to as just "wings" (like 10 medium wings, 20 hot wings, etc). Usually anything other than the traditional style is called out as a separate menu item, but there are neighborhood variations on what is considered "traditional" (not always cayenne based).

I would rather go months without any wings than settle for bad or sub-par wings. Breaded wings are a no-go. If I want breaded or battered chicken I will find a good fried chicken restaurant instead. The last thing I want to eat are the tiny slimy wing parts found in most out of town places.
You summed it up perfectly! Thanks.

I see that you do or did live in Buffalo, NY. No wonder. You've had the real thing. Of course you'd know what real buffalo wings are supposed to look and taste like.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:45 PM

Default Fried?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Real buffalo wings are fried? I thought they were baked...like baked chicken but the wingettes, after being baked, were then drenched in buffalo hot sauce and served with celery and blue cheese sauce, although I prefer ranch dipping sauce.

At any rate, I'm tired of so many chain restaurants doing them wrong. A lot of restaurants have a tendency to want to bread and fry everything which adds unnecessary calories to a dish. There are very few chain restaurants that get it right: TGIFriday's, Wing Stop (who cooks them correctly but the flavor is so bland which I can't understand why), and Buffalo Wild Wings. BWW does a good job but they were further away and I didn't want to drive to their location. I'm going to start making my own buffalo wings at home and be done with it.

P.S - My only issue is why are little wingettes priced so highly? They cost as much as buying a whole chicken or family pack of thighs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink