Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 06:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
What I ate as dumplings were spoonfuls of biscuit dough dropped into simmering, watery chicken stew. The dumplings rose and cooked in the steam and heat, and they thickened the liquid below.

I’ve read about other sorts of dumplings, and I have eaten spaetzle once.

There are many regional difference in dumplings, I think. But yes, they are old fashioned.
That is pretty much how mom made her dumplings but sometimes she made them from scratch. We always had them with stewed chicken and veggies. Of course stewed chicken was chicken from a really aged chicken, often a rooster and had to be cooked all day, as they were very tough, but I will add tasty. As a kid, one of my favorite dishes was chicken and dumplings. My old grandma made the best!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 09:21 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That is pretty much how mom made her dumplings but sometimes she made them from scratch. We always had them with stewed chicken and veggies. Of course stewed chicken was chicken from a really aged chicken, often a rooster and had to be cooked all day, as they were very tough, but I will add tasty. As a kid, one of my favorite dishes was chicken and dumplings. My old grandma made the best!!!!
I don’t understand how making biscuit dough is not making it “from scratch.” Buy, possibly you mean you also ate the rolled dumplings which called for more handling before dropping into simmering broth?

I am a child of the suburbs. Our chickens came from the grocery store. I do have a very dim, early memory of visiting a local butcher shop with my parents. There was sawdust on the floor, and a March of Dimes coin can on the counter with a picture of FDR. I asked my mom who that man in the picture was. This was likely in 1949, or 1950.

There is a nice description in an older edition of JOC about making biscuit dough dumplings. I used it when I made my own, a few times, as an adult. It is definitely al old fashioned thing, but so comforting on a cold day.

Old 05-30-2020, 05:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I don’t understand how making biscuit dough is not making it “from scratch.” Buy, possibly you mean you also ate the rolled dumplings which called for more handling before dropping into simmering broth?

I am a child of the suburbs. Our chickens came from the grocery store. I do have a very dim, early memory of visiting a local butcher shop with my parents. There was sawdust on the floor, and a March of Dimes coin can on the counter with a picture of FDR. I asked my mom who that man in the picture was. This was likely in 1949, or 1950.

There is a nice description in an older edition of JOC about making biscuit dough dumplings. I used it when I made my own, a few times, as an adult. It is definitely al old fashioned thing, but so comforting on a cold day.
I too remember the butcher shops and visiting with dad and mom. Yes, sawdust on the floor.

As for "from scratch" versus using using bisquit; what I meant was dad, sometimes and always my grandma's made them starting with plain flour, adding baking powder, liquid, an egg, where bisquit dough is simply bisquit. I guess it depends on how you interpret it and doesn't really make any difference.

Old 05-30-2020, 07:58 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
As for "from scratch" versus using using bisquit; what I meant was dad, sometimes and always my grandma's made them starting with plain flour, adding baking powder, liquid, an egg, where bisquit dough is simply bisquit. I guess it depends on how you interpret it and doesn't really make any difference.
Do you mean Bisquick? The baking mix? Biscuits made from Bisquick are definitely not from scratch.

I'm also confused because there is Bisquick and there are biscuits, but there is no word "bisquit."

Old 05-30-2020, 08:03 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Ate a lot of velveta grill cheese and boyardee pizza we were poor
And that was the treats
We were eating kits of grits and boiled dandelion on a daily basis

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 05-30-2020 at 09:08 AM..

Old 05-30-2020, 09:36 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
I too remember the butcher shops and visiting with dad and mom. Yes, sawdust on the floor.

Not to belabor the point—what you describe is how you make biscuits, minus the egg.

I never learned how to make rolled dumplings.

Old 05-31-2020, 03:35 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 14 hours ago)

27,162 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Britain had food rationing, which started on the 8th January 1940 and finished on the 4th July 1954.

Everyone was issued with a ration book, and had to take it to the shops, vegetables were used to supplement rationed goods, making the diet extremely healthy and far healthier than todays diets in many developed countries.

Rationing in World War Two - Historic UK

How cheaply could a person live on WW2 food rationing?

Wartime rationing helped the British get healthier than they had ever been - Medical News Today

The typical weekly food ration for an adult was:
  • Bacon & Ham 4 oz
  • Other meat value of 1 shilling and 2 pence (equivalent to 2 chops)
  • Butter 2 oz
  • Cheese 2 oz
  • Margarine 4 oz
  • Cooking fat 4 oz
  • Milk 3 pints
  • Sugar 8 oz
  • Preserves 1 lb every 2 months
  • Tea 2 oz
  • Eggs 1 fresh egg (plus allowance of dried egg)
  • Sweets 12 oz every 4 weeks

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-31-2020 at 03:44 AM..

Old 06-03-2020, 03:08 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Ate a lot of velveta grill cheese and boyardee pizza we were poor
And that was the treats
These days Velveeta is relatively expensive, a brick of that is no joke.

Granted could probably get the Kroger version of yellow processed cheese brick which is pretty much same thing but half the price.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:20 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
These days Velveeta is relatively expensive, a brick of that is no joke.

Granted could probably get the Kroger version of yellow processed cheese brick which is pretty much same thing but half the price.

At Walmart, a 2# load of Velveeta is running $7.48. At Krogers, a 2# loaf od cheddar cheese (not processed) in $5.98. I would not buy Valveeta.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:44 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
We had dumplings that cooked on top of the stew. They were delicious and I could probably find the recipe in my mother's old cookbook.

https://www.cookbookvillage.com/prod...-cookbook-1941

Mine is falling apart but I still have it. It's the only cookbook my mother ever used and, by the year of publication it would cover the 1940s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink