U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 04:09 PM

1,613 posts, read 612,577 times

Advertisements

Underrated: white chocolate. I get it, I can already hear the cries of 'it's not real chocolaaate'..who cares. It's lovely and I prefer it to milk and dark chocolate quite easily.

Overrated: Chow mein. Those greasy noodles gross me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 06:35 PM

63,010 posts, read 59,808,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Over rated--not that I've ever eaten them, but every restaurant seems to have them and I won't go near them:

Calimari (with tentacles). With or without tentacles, it sounds disgusting. It's on almost all the menus! It's SQUID! Yuck! After recovering from that thought, also there's ice cream with almost every dessert. Cake with ice cream, brownie with ice cream, Every dessert comes with ice cream. It's overkill. And I love ice cream.

Under rated--baked sweet potato (nutritious & delicious), beets if they have been grown right so that they are sweet, popovers.
I tried calamari once, about 40 years ago. It was fried, covered in spicy sauce, and I was drinking a lot of beer. The next day I kept having flashbacks of those tentacles. I will never eat that again. It's like escargot and octopus. They were one-timers, too.

I bake three or four sweet potatoes at a time and then reheat when I want one. I eat that as a snack with cinnamon or cardamom.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:30 PM

8,744 posts, read 5,313,638 times
Overrated: Hard. raw vegetables or vegetables supposed cooked to "tender crisp"--whatever that means (how can they be tender and crisp at the same time?) I particularly dislike the kind of stir-fried vegetables you get at cheap Chinese places; they seem to have been oiled and passed briefly over a flame, but they're still basically raw. Broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, onions, beans, and even carrots and celery are so much more flavorful when they are cooked. Easier to eat, too.

Underrated: Waffles and pancakes made from home, from scratch, with real butter and maple syrup. So easy, cheap, and infinitely superior to anything that comes frozen or from a mix, or that you would get at most any restaurant.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:32 PM

12,410 posts, read 9,522,286 times
Oops. Deleted your name, Jade.
"Overrated: ranch dressing. I don't get it. It is slightly seasoned sour cream. How is this dressing supposed to be good for fries, pizza, etc. It doesn't add the acidity I like from dressings in general. Seems pointless to me."
I was at a restaurant recently and was asked "Do you want ranch for your fries?" I was momentarily confused then asked if I could have ketchup. How is that even a thing?

Underrated: pickled okra. I've converted many an unbeliever.

Overrated: lobster

Last edited by hunterseat; 06-09-2020 at 08:46 PM..

Old 06-10-2020, 02:58 AM

16,881 posts, read 9,354,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I tried calamari once, about 40 years ago. It was fried, covered in spicy sauce, and I was drinking a lot of beer. The next day I kept having flashbacks of those tentacles. I will never eat that again. It's like escargot and octopus. They were one-timers, too.

I bake three or four sweet potatoes at a time and then reheat when I want one. I eat that as a snack with cinnamon or cardamom.
Mass market calamari in the United States is pretty uninteresting. Flavorless frozen, breaded sliced squid in the Fryalator with a dipping sauce to attempt to give it any flavor at all. I’ve had fantastic squid dishes in Southern Europe made from fresh squid. We’re been going to Sanxenxo in Galicia Spain frequently. That is close to Vigo, the largest fishing port in Europe 90 minutes north of Porto Portugal. Sadly, our late September trip this year looks pretty unlikely. Nobody is going to let Americans in without a 14 day quarantine.

I don’t have many “food issues”. Plain boiled okra is too slimey but pickled or fried or part of a gumbo is fine. Jar lima beans are nasty but fresh are great. I love whole fried baby sardines in Portugal. I grew up salt water fishing so a whole fish on my plate. Sea bass/robalo is a favorite. I like liverwurst and pate but I’m not wild about fried calf liver. At Dim Sum places, I pass on “Phoenix claws” and tripe.

We eat a lot of salad Nicoise-inspired salads as lunch food so I’m boiling eggs, little potatoes, and blanching haricots verts all the time if I’m making a hard boiled egg at breakfast. At dinner, we eat Asian sweet potatoes. I slice them in half almost all the way through, microwave, and finish them on the grill. I can’t remember the last time I baked a potato.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:52 AM

63,010 posts, read 59,808,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Mass market calamari in the United States is pretty uninteresting. Flavorless frozen, breaded sliced squid in the Fryalator with a dipping sauce to attempt to give it any flavor at all. I’ve had fantastic squid dishes in Southern Europe made from fresh squid. We’re been going to Sanxenxo in Galicia Spain frequently. That is close to Vigo, the largest fishing port in Europe 90 minutes north of Porto Portugal. Sadly, our late September trip this year looks pretty unlikely. Nobody is going to let Americans in without a 14 day quarantine.

I don’t have many “food issues”. Plain boiled okra is too slimey but pickled or fried or part of a gumbo is fine. Jar lima beans are nasty but fresh are great. I love whole fried baby sardines in Portugal. I grew up salt water fishing so a whole fish on my plate. Sea bass/robalo is a favorite. I like liverwurst and pate but I’m not wild about fried calf liver. At Dim Sum places, I pass on “Phoenix claws” and tripe.

We eat a lot of salad Nicoise-inspired salads as lunch food so I’m boiling eggs, little potatoes, and blanching haricots verts all the time if I’m making a hard boiled egg at breakfast. At dinner, we eat Asian sweet potatoes. I slice them in half almost all the way through, microwave, and finish them on the grill. I can’t remember the last time I baked a potato.
I'm pretty sure what I ate (and remember, it was forty years ago) was not mass market calamari. I was at a little hole in the wall bar in Hudson County, NJ, and the Italian mama was in the back cooking. I tried it there because everyone assured me that they were KNOWN for their calamari and mussels fra diavolo. Didn't matter. Still don't like tentacles. I've never been tempted by the fresh squid at seafood markets, either.

I have friends who LOVE it, though.

I have never heard of Asian sweet potatoes. They are different, I'm assuming, from our sweet potatoes? I eat them all the time. Will have to check that out. Also what I bolded sounds right up my alley! Thanks for the idea! Eggs and potatoes are a go-together for me in a few different ways.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:07 AM

17,794 posts, read 22,281,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Someone from Islip saying NY pizza is the best. Hardly surprising if it’s what you grew up with as pizza. Do you also claim “it’s the water”? I hear that a lot.

I have easily a half dozen pizza styles I like better. Deep dish is ok. I’m nowhere near an UNO’s but on a business trip, I like a Chicago classic (with Italian sausage) and a Caesar salad at the bar with a pint or two. I’ve had real pizza in Naples where it’s simple fresh ingredients rather than NY overcooked red sauce. You find a lot of that in California. I grew up with ground linguica as my pizza topping in the South Coast of Massachusetts with the big Portuguese-Azores population.

I find NY pizza really boring and I’ve had a lot of it over the years in the various boroughs. I’ll happily eat it but it’s not my favorite.
Do I claim it's the water? Not me personally but many people do.
I would try Pizza in Italy. Brooklyn Pizza is my favorite.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:12 AM

17,794 posts, read 22,281,364 times
Underrated- Fried squash Blossoms or zucchini flowers as they are sometimes called.
overrated: Quinoa, never cared for it

Old 06-10-2020, 06:36 AM

1,577 posts, read 651,551 times
Overrated: Chicago style deep dish pizza. And I say this as a Chicago native! It's just SOOO MUCH cheese and bread. It's just too heavy.

Also truffle oil. Makes things sound fancy but taste icky.

Underrated: Agree on cabbage... I love the stuff. I'll add mushrooms to the list, too, especially poor, unappreciated button mushrooms!

Those who don't want the sweet BBQ sauce should check out Eastern NC BBQ!! Vinegar-based and delish!

Old 06-10-2020, 06:44 AM

7,946 posts, read 4,468,698 times
Underrated: Most simple home dishes. Somehow or another "chicken fried steak" is bad, but change the name to "jaeger schnitzel in hunter sauce" and it's gourmet. Or how "potatoes and carrots" sudden become "roasted root vegetables."

Overrated: Since caviar has already been taken, I'll say Siracha. It's alright but I just don't get what all the fuss is about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Overrated: ranch dressing. I don't get it. It is slightly seasoned sour cream. How is this dressing supposed to be good for fries, pizza, etc. It doesn't add the acidity I like from dressings in general. Seems pointless to me.
I don't get the love for ranch either. Pretty much the most tasteless salad dressing out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Enjoyed your post. My fave hot sauce is Cholula. Tabasco is all heat and no flavor for me.
Agree that Tabasco has no flavor. Our favorite is Louisiana brand. Just the right mix of heat and pepper flavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That is another one. We were just talking about that today when we passed a barbecue place we have been meaning to try. Everyone says it is awesome except for one friend: she says it just isn't sweet enough. That makes me want to try it even more.
I remember one time a coworker was trying to convince everyone how great a certain BBQ place was. Kept raving on and on about the sauce. When asked about the BBQ itself, all she could say was how great the sauce was. So the office went. The sauce was too sweet and the meat itself was bland and flavorless. Basically just using a lot of sweet sauce to cover up poor cooking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or