U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 10:14 AM

26,519 posts, read 17,133,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post

Those who don't want the sweet BBQ sauce should check out Eastern NC BBQ!! Vinegar-based and delish!
I have never found this here in the PNW. So I buy the stuff that has no HFCS as its sweetener, and add cider vinegar to it. But I’m going to a specialty food market tomorrow. I’ll take a look there.

That’s another thing about bottled barbecue sauces. Almost all use high fructose corn syrup as the sweetener. This is a product I tend to avoid.

Of course, if someone knows a good recipe for vinegar based barbecue sauce——-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 10:21 AM

75,952 posts, read 88,836,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Oops. Deleted your name, Jade.
"Overrated: ranch dressing. I don't get it. It is slightly seasoned sour cream. How is this dressing supposed to be good for fries, pizza, etc. It doesn't add the acidity I like from dressings in general. Seems pointless to me."
I was at a restaurant recently and was asked "Do you want ranch for your fries?" I was momentarily confused then asked if I could have ketchup. How is that even a thing?

Underrated: pickled okra. I've converted many an unbeliever.

Overrated: lobster
Love pickled Okra, am actually starting to like it other ways: no, not my favorite but certainly better than I thought it was years ago: Lobster yes, overrated unless you get it totally fresh from the NE during the season know how to cook it and eat it.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:23 PM

17,855 posts, read 22,326,686 times
Underrated: Beef Heart. Although I won't try it my husband and his brother love it. We had gotten some fresh sliced beef hearts last year sent to us frozen from a farm in Georgia. My husband said it was delicious. after work I am picking up some but here it's whole beef hearts. DH and his brother are going to eat them for lunch Saturday at his moms. My husband will slice and cook them.

Overrated: Starbucks coffee: do not like any of it.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:00 PM

3,982 posts, read 4,648,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Love pickled Okra, am actually starting to like it other ways: no, not my favorite but certainly better than I thought it was years ago
While Fried Okra is also delicious, for a change, try grilling it. Just add a little olive oil and Salt & Pepper, then grill whole. Only takes a few minutes.

Old 06-10-2020, 03:20 PM

27,882 posts, read 31,437,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Overrated: Starbucks coffee: do not like any of it.
What I like about Starbucks, is the the same thing I like about fast food - consistency. You know exactly what you will get, no matter where you go, when you order a Starbucks coffee. It is not amazing, but it is predictable. And actually the Blonde Roast is pretty good - not burnt tasting like their regular coffees. And the Starbucks Reserve shops do have access to higher quality beans.

I do prefer a local / indie shop with really fresh coffee. But you really have to do your due diligence before you get a cup.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:32 PM

I like a Starbucks latte or an Americano. These are drinks I would never make fir myself. And if I want to treat my granddaughter, they will make her something. As previous poster said, It is consistent. You know what you are getting.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:16 PM

5,569 posts, read 1,611,533 times
Underrated: meals chock full of fresh seafood - king crab, clams, mussels, lobster... going to a good oyster bar, eating at a restaurant ON the water (visual helps, right?)

Overrated: steak restaurants charging 3x as much as Texas Roadhouse but failing to provide better quality meat or cook a blue rare steak properly. Ruth’s Chris, Sullivan’s, McCormick’s, Fleming’s meat is grainier and the “blue” steaks are just “rare”.

We’re losing sight of quality food and vendor selection to atmosphere and ambience. While we don’t necessarily want these to be exclusive of one another, it only takes one lacking to be a dealbreaker.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:28 AM

850 posts, read 792,327 times
Underrated: cheese plates. Or, more accurately, charcuterie plates. What's not to love about a meal that you don't have to cook and covers all of the food groups? High-quality meats, cheeses, fruits, veggies, spreads, crackers and breads....nom nom nom.

Overrated: (I know I'll get gasps and flamed for this, LOL) Blue Bell ice cream. We moved from CA to TX some years ago and people were all up in our grill to try BB ice cream. My husband loves it and I like it. The only flavor that I really enjoyed is the raspberry brownie one and I've tried about 15 of the flavors. If I have a choice, though, I will always buy the Tillamook ice cream instead.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
Underrated: cheese plates. Or, more accurately, charcuterie plates. What's not to love about a meal that you don't have to cook and covers all of the food groups? High-quality meats, cheeses, fruits, veggies, spreads, crackers and breads....nom nom nom.

Overrated: (I know I'll get gasps and flamed for this, LOL) Blue Bell ice cream. We moved from CA to TX some years ago and people were all up in our grill to try BB ice cream. My husband loves it and I like it. The only flavor that I really enjoyed is the raspberry brownie one and I've tried about 15 of the flavors. If I have a choice, though, I will always buy the Tillamook ice cream instead.
I have recently tried Tillamook Ice Cream, and I agree. I don’t care for their cheese, so I resisted trying their ice cream. But I agree that their ice cream is quite, quite good.

Old 06-11-2020, 10:20 AM

33,933 posts, read 62,908,589 times
Overrated: Starbucks. If I'm paying a premium for coffee, I'd like to not to taste as though the beans have been burnt to a crisp.

Underrated: White bread. Good white bread, not the mushy stuff from the grocery store. Good Italian white bread, or a French baguette. Dipped in olive oil or slathered with Irish butter. OMG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Over-rated. Peas and squash
These little green spheres
Are evil !!! And squash takes on
The characteristics of a Full baby diaper
I don't agree about squash being overrated, but you're absolutely correct about the visual! Thank you for the laugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or