U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-30-2020, 10:14 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
60,240 posts, read 43,737,053 times
Reputation: 32335

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
REally wine and cheese? They have been a great match for many of us for years, but we all have our own ideas on what works best.

I am starting to think over rated is: Lobster. Hubby got a seafood box for Fathers day with Lobster, scallops and clam chowder in it. We had one of the Lobsters a couple night ago: I know how much our daughter paid for the box and I can assure you it was not worth it. I think Crab legs are better.


Personally, I'll take shrimp over lobster any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2020, 06:01 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
75,987 posts, read 88,871,943 times
Reputation: 46814
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Personally, I'll take shrimp over lobster any day.
Good shrimp: yes, but seems like so much we get today doesn't have as much flavor as in years past. Maybe I am just not shopping at the right places. We do eat a lot of shrimp though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2020, 11:35 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
60,240 posts, read 43,737,053 times
Reputation: 32335
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Good shrimp: yes, but seems like so much we get today doesn't have as much flavor as in years past. Maybe I am just not shopping at the right places. We do eat a lot of shrimp though.

I'm fortunate in that way, I'm five minutes from a family owned fish business, I get shrimp that's only been out of the water a few hours and never frozen. But there's good frozen shrimp out there, if you have a choice on where to shop it may be worth your time to try different places. From what I'm told, wild caught are tastier than farm-raised.

Sometimes I buy more than I'll use quickly and I've found putting them in a container and filling with water before freezing works great, no freezer burn that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
75,987 posts, read 88,871,943 times
Reputation: 46814
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm fortunate in that way, I'm five minutes from a family owned fish business, I get shrimp that's only been out of the water a few hours and never frozen. But there's good frozen shrimp out there, if you have a choice on where to shop it may be worth your time to try different places. From what I'm told, wild caught are tastier than farm-raised.

Sometimes I buy more than I'll use quickly and I've found putting them in a container and filling with water before freezing works great, no freezer burn that way.
I like that idea of putting them in water. I do envy you living near a fresh fish market and knowing the shrimp is just out of the ocean. Our daughter lives in Fl or one does. We love the fresh fish they get and I grew up in So. CA. My dad loved to fish so I thought all sea food tasted like what we had at home. Got married, left home, learned not all fish is good fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
26,542 posts, read 17,151,134 times
Reputation: 40446
Overrated: most restaurant Mexican food. I just don’t like most of it. I hate the mandatory beans and rice combo you get with every order, and the lack of fresh veggies. I liked the food I ate in Santa Fe, so it isn’t that I don’t like the flavors. (Of course SW food is not identical to Mexican food)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
27,913 posts, read 31,452,408 times
Reputation: 27782
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Overrated: most restaurant Mexican food. I just don’t like most of it. I hate the mandatory beans and rice combo you get with every order, and the lack of fresh veggies. I liked the food I ate in Santa Fe, so it isn’t that I don’t like the flavors. (Of course SW food is not identical to Mexican food)
Interesting.....

I like Mexican a lot. I also grew up eating rice, and I think Mexican rice is really good. It was the only cafeteria food I ate as a kid. But since my dad was anti Mexican food it isn't something I grew up eating.

It took me a while to come around to beans, I didn't like them as a kid. But now I realize that I only like them when they have some acid nearby.

It wasn't till I went to "fancy" Mexican places that I came around to things like jicama (one place I went to had a yummy salad with jicama, orange, Chile powder, lime, and pumpkin seeds). And the myriad of salsas available - with a range of veggies. One place I went to in college had a cabbage "salsa" - it wasn't actually salsa, just cabbage with lime. And I also got into street style tacos - which are my favorite.

I find it a lot easier to get something that doesn't feel too heavy at a Mexican restaurant - especially since I hate sour cream. A couple of street tacos on corn tortillas with lots of salsa and a side of beans is filling and packed with fiber.

Here in the Bay we have so many takes on veggies in tacos, burritos, and tamales. With interesting combos of things. Fancy Mexican spots have interesting veggie sides and salads as well.

I find the so-called homestyle ones have much fewer veggies. I also felt like New Mexico was veggie free land when I visited. When I got home I feel like I had a giant salad in the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM
 
1,587 posts, read 660,143 times
Reputation: 5365
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Overrated: most restaurant Mexican food. I just don’t like most of it. I hate the mandatory beans and rice combo you get with every order, and the lack of fresh veggies. I liked the food I ate in Santa Fe, so it isn’t that I don’t like the flavors. (Of course SW food is not identical to Mexican food)
Yeah, most restaurant Mexican food is not authentic Mexican food, just as our Chinese food is nothing like real Chinese food. FWIW, I like restaurant Mexican that is NOT buried in cheese or sour cream (that... is not a thing); corn tortillas, not flour; and I do like rice and beans! Authentic Mexican food is on the whole way healthier and yummy, but there are things there I don't like either...

Oh, that's one! Mole. Overrated. It's awful, and people just like to brag because it has a zillion ingredients in it. Blech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Guadalajara, MX
7,556 posts, read 3,674,972 times
Reputation: 14365
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Sometimes I buy more than I'll use quickly and I've found putting them in a container and filling with water before freezing works great, no freezer burn that way.
This is great stuff, it's little things like this that are gems of reading stuff online.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:42 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
26,542 posts, read 17,151,134 times
Reputation: 40446
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Interesting.....

I like Mexican a lot. I also grew up eating rice, and I think Mexican rice is really good. It was the only cafeteria food I ate as a kid. But since my dad was anti Mexican food it isn't something I grew up eating.

It took me a while to come around to beans, I didn't like them as a kid. But now I realize that I only like them when they have some acid nearby.

It wasn't till I went to "fancy" Mexican places that I came around to things like jicama (one place I went to had a yummy salad with jicama, orange, Chile powder, lime, and pumpkin seeds). And the myriad of salsas available - with a range of veggies. One place I went to in college had a cabbage "salsa" - it wasn't actually salsa, just cabbage with lime. And I also got into street style tacos - which are my favorite.

I find it a lot easier to get something that doesn't feel too heavy at a Mexican restaurant - especially since I hate sour cream. A couple of street tacos on corn tortillas with lots of salsa and a side of beans is filling and packed with fiber.

Here in the Bay we have so many takes on veggies in tacos, burritos, and tamales. With interesting combos of things. Fancy Mexican spots have interesting veggie sides and salads as well.

I find the so-called homestyle ones have much fewer veggies. I also felt like New Mexico was veggie free land when I visited. When I got home I feel like I had a giant salad in the airport.
If I had access to good Mexican food, I know I’d like it. But I don’t. What I find locally is pretty mediocre.

I made chicken enchiladas for us tonight, and they were spicy and good. I am clueless about really good Mexican. I only have had exposure to standard restaurant fare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:56 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
27,913 posts, read 31,452,408 times
Reputation: 27782
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If I had access to good Mexican food, I know I’d like it. But I don’t. What I find locally is pretty mediocre.

I made chicken enchiladas for us tonight, and they were spicy and good. I am clueless about really good Mexican. I only have had exposure to standard restaurant fare.
My new Mexican food obsession is pozole! Not many places have it, but it is so satisfying! Yummy spicy broth, soft corn thingamajigs, and tender meat! And the toppings add more texture. I am going to try to make it one of these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top