Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 08:32 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

Alright, let's play a little game, inspired by a podcast I heard.

I am changing up the rules somewhat, but it should still be fun.

Rule #1:
Make sure that all posts, including replies, have some food related item is over or under rated. Could be a packaged good, a restaurant, a restaurant dish, a beverage, or something else.

Rule #2:
Feel free state your case for your items.

Rule #3:
Feel free to disagree with the ratings and post your own take!

Anyway, hope you find this fun, and it offers up some respite.

Alright, I am going first.

Underrated: Nam Khao or the Lao/Thai Crispy Rice Ball Salad.
This recipe's images look like the versions I have had before. Anyway a few years ago a new Thai place opened in my city, and when I read the review, they mentioned this dish and I had never heard about it before. When I went, I decided to seek it out and it was so delicious! Has all the things you like about southeast Asian food: texture, flavor, heat and freshness! Usually served with a ton of lettuce and herbs on the side. I am sad so few places seem to have it on the menu.

Overrated: fresh apricots.
I love all the stone fruits, in various stages of ripeness. But I find it is downright impossible to get a batch of tasty fresh apricots, and subpar ones suck and can't be saved. They might have weird mealy texture. No flavor. Or be way too tart without that balance you get in a plum. The blends are ok, as long as they are mostly something else (like a pluot). But otherwise I'll stick with peaches and nectarines which are way more predictable and reliable. If it smells good it'll taste good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 06:26 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Haven't had that Thai dish, but it looks 'interesting'. The fermented pork kinda sounds yucky, though. I can't agree with you about the apricots. When they are in season, they are one of my favorites. But I strongly prefer all stone fruits a little under ripe.

Underated: chicken gizzards. Fry 'em in some butter. Don't over cook. Cut out (or spit out) the gristle . The meat itself is delicious.

Overated: caviar. I spit that out, too.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 06-07-2020 at 07:15 AM..

Old 06-07-2020, 07:12 AM

39 posts, read 26,026 times
Underated - tsukemono. It is so easy to make and it is very refreshing to eat, especially during the hot summer months. It is good for you. And a good way to use up cabbage and cucumbers.

Overated - store bought bread. There are a few good brands around (e.g., Izzio that makes San Francisco style sourdough bread), but most other brands suck. No taste, too soft, cut too thin, etc.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:39 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,308 times
Underated- tripe.. Auntie Neves made her own recipe which was very similar to this recipe- https://www.foodfromportugal.com/rec...tuguese-tripe/ .. Hers was to die for, and I was a provincial Yank, 20-odd years of age who had never eaten anything as unusual as tripe. I've tried unsuccessfully to replicate it. Wish she wrote it down.

Overrated- truffles.. mostly tasteless, texture of semi cooked potato.

Old 06-07-2020, 11:33 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Haven't had that Thai dish, but it looks 'interesting'. The fermented pork kinda sounds yucky, though. I can't agree with you about the apricots. When they are in season, they are one of my favorites. But I strongly prefer all stone fruits a little under ripe.
Honestly the fermented sausage basically tasted like ham finished with lime. Sounds scary, tastes salty and sour.

Underrated: grilled mackerel at Japanese restaurants (aka shioyaki saba or salt saba): super simply prepared - grilled with salt, but you end up with tasty fish and crispy skin, finished with lemon! Great for people who think things at the Japanese restaurant are too exotic but like fish. Salmon is usually available prepared the same way.

Overrated: ranch dressing. I don't get it. It is slightly seasoned sour cream. How is this dressing supposed to be good for fries, pizza, etc. It doesn't add the acidity I like from dressings in general. Seems pointless to me.

Old 06-07-2020, 01:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Underrated: vinegar and oil. I use EVOO and white balsamic vinegar to dress most of my salads. These two ingredients are better than 99% of bottled salad dressings. If I make a vinaigrette with them and add a splash of half and half, I invariably am asked what my salad dressing is. Everyone likes it.

Overrated: slow cookers. I haven’t used mine since I bought an Instant Pot. I Just like cooking fast, I think. For me, at least, they are over rated.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:57 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Over-rated. Peas and squash
These little green spheres
Are evil !!! And squash takes on
The characteristics of a Full baby diaper

I would try to be open minded and have one pea
Per year and some years I just couldn’t do it

Under-rated
Fresh caught fish & venison
Something about sourcing and preparing your own wild foods
Make them extra delicious!! Particularly if you go camping
Out in the woods and catch fish early for breakfast
Venison is about the cleanest protein you can have
And tastes so much better if you tracked , shot and harvested
Your own !!

Old 06-08-2020, 05:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
wow, under rated; I would say split pea soup: To me, it is the only soup worth eating, well almost the only soup and don't forget the easy but tasty grilled fish,almost any kind of fish. of course I would want the soup and the fish at the same time. At the very top of my list I think is LOX and Bagels; especially when the Lox are home made.

over rated: agree with JKGourmet: caviar is just plain good for nothing except to spit out. Another over rated food is salsa that is made with sugar or anything sweet in it and not spicy. To me, a good salsa has to have kick unless it is made more like a marinade to be used for flavoring meats. Still lay off the sweetness if you are having me over for a meal. I am not a huge lover of sweet flavoring for my cooked dishes.

Old 06-08-2020, 10:19 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, under rated; I would say split pea soup: To me, it is the only soup worth eating, well almost the only soup and don't forget the easy but tasty grilled fish,almost any kind of fish. of course I would want the soup and the fish at the same time. At the very top of my list I think is LOX and Bagels; especially when the Lox are home made.

over rated: agree with JKGourmet: caviar is just plain good for nothing except to spit out. Another over rated food is salsa that is made with sugar or anything sweet in it and not spicy. To me, a good salsa has to have kick unless it is made more like a marinade to be used for flavoring meats. Still lay off the sweetness if you are having me over for a meal. I am not a huge lover of sweet flavoring for my cooked dishes.
Me too on sweet salsa. I also wonder why barbecue sauce Has to be so sweet. I thin the stuff with cider vinegar to cut the intense sweetness.

So—overrated: intensely sweet barbecue sauce.

Old 06-08-2020, 10:58 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Honestly the fermented sausage basically tasted like ham finished with lime. Sounds scary, tastes salty and sour.

Underrated: grilled mackerel at Japanese restaurants (aka shioyaki saba or salt saba): super simply prepared - grilled with salt, but you end up with tasty fish and crispy skin, finished with lemon! Great for people who think things at the Japanese restaurant are too exotic but like fish. Salmon is usually available prepared the same way.

Overrated: ranch dressing. I don't get it. It is slightly seasoned sour cream. How is this dressing supposed to be good for fries, pizza, etc. It doesn't add the acidity I like from dressings in general. Seems pointless to me.

In the Midwest, Ranch is king! LOL

Although...I don't use Ranch for fries or pizza. I use Ranch for salad and for hotwings. That's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink