Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 02:37 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,913,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I didn't even know there was a white balsamic vinegar. Hmm. I could easily have said balsamic vinegar as "overrated". I really don't like it, but maybe a white one I would. Going to look for that.

I rarely use bottled dressings. Olive oil and lemon on salad for me, if I use anything.
Look for Alessi brand.

I am not a fan of regular balsamic vinegar. I don’t care for the taste. It was soooo trendy for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 02:39 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Me too on sweet salsa. I also wonder why barbecue sauce Has to be so sweet. I thin the stuff with cider vinegar to cut the intense sweetness.

So—overrated: intensely sweet barbecue sauce.

That is another one. We were just talking about that today when we passed a barbecue place we have been meaning to try. Everyone says it is awesome except for one friend: she says it just isn't sweet enough. That makes me want to try it even more.

Old 06-09-2020, 02:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,913,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
Underrated - fruit served at 85-95 degrees (the same temperature when you pick it and eat it straight from the tree)
Overrated - room temperature/refrigerated fruit

This is especially true for fruits that ripen in the dead of summer like peaches and figs.
OK. But there is nothing like chilled juice packed canned peaches spooned out of the can and eaten in the dead of winter.

Old 06-09-2020, 02:44 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Enjoyed your post. My fave hot sauce is Cholula. Tabasco is all heat and no flavor for me.
Oh to me it does have flavor: vinegar flavor and that is probably why I am not a friend of if.

Old 06-09-2020, 03:11 PM

24,503 posts, read 17,956,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I didn't even know there was a white balsamic vinegar. Hmm. I could easily have said balsamic vinegar as "overrated". I really don't like it, but maybe a white one I would. Going to look for that.

I rarely use bottled dressings. Olive oil and lemon on salad for me, if I use anything.
I use it with sliced cucumbers and a bit of sugar. The simpler European version of a Thai cucumber salad.

I don’t like cheap (red) balsamic. I like it aged where the flavor is much richer. I can’t wait until native tomatoes show up. It’s an essential part of Caprese salad.

Old 06-09-2020, 03:44 PM

24,503 posts, read 17,956,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
NY Pizza is the best followed by Chicago Deep dish.
Someone from Islip saying NY pizza is the best. Hardly surprising if it’s what you grew up with as pizza. Do you also claim “it’s the water”? I hear that a lot.

I have easily a half dozen pizza styles I like better. Deep dish is ok. I’m nowhere near an UNO’s but on a business trip, I like a Chicago classic (with Italian sausage) and a Caesar salad at the bar with a pint or two. I’ve had real pizza in Naples where it’s simple fresh ingredients rather than NY overcooked red sauce. You find a lot of that in California. I grew up with ground linguica as my pizza topping in the South Coast of Massachusetts with the big Portuguese-Azores population.

I find NY pizza really boring and I’ve had a lot of it over the years in the various boroughs. I’ll happily eat it but it’s not my favorite.

Old 06-09-2020, 03:57 PM

87,949 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:
Look for Alessi brand.

I am not a fan of regular balsamic vinegar. I don’t care for the taste. It was soooo trendy for awhile.
I know, they were putting it on EVERYTHING. One time my daughter made Brussels sprouts (which I like) but she put balsamic vinegar on them. I was polite and ate them, but...no.

Old 06-09-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I use it with sliced cucumbers and a bit of sugar. The simpler European version of a Thai cucumber salad.

I don’t like cheap (red) balsamic. I like it aged where the flavor is much richer. I can’t wait until native tomatoes show up. It’s an essential part of Caprese salad.
Where I live, that's not until late July/early August, and then they are only here six weeks. We're spoiled here in Jersey with great tomatoes, but the season is so short. They just have such a certain deep tomato flavor that I've never tasted in a tomato anywhere else. I think it's the toxic waste in our soil.

Yum, Caprese salad. No, pasty pale tasteless tomatoes won't do there.

Old 06-09-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Someone from Islip saying NY pizza is the best. Hardly surprising if it’s what you grew up with as pizza. Do you also claim “it’s the water”? I hear that a lot.

I have easily a half dozen pizza styles I like better. Deep dish is ok. I’m nowhere near an UNO’s but on a business trip, I like a Chicago classic (with Italian sausage) and a Caesar salad at the bar with a pint or two. I’ve had real pizza in Naples where it’s simple fresh ingredients rather than NY overcooked red sauce. You find a lot of that in California. I grew up with ground linguica as my pizza topping in the South Coast of Massachusetts with the big Portuguese-Azores population.

I find NY pizza really boring and I’ve had a lot of it over the years in the various boroughs. I’ll happily eat it but it’s not my favorite.
Plus Jersey pizza is actually better.

Seriously, I had a really good pizza once at a restaurant called Sergio's--in Amsterdam.

Old 06-09-2020, 04:23 PM

26,633 posts, read 28,419,191 times
Over rated--not that I've ever eaten them, but every restaurant seems to have them and I won't go near them:

Calimari (with tentacles). With or without tentacles, it sounds disgusting. It's on almost all the menus! It's SQUID! Yuck! After recovering from that thought, also there's ice cream with almost every dessert. Cake with ice cream, brownie with ice cream, Every dessert comes with ice cream. It's overkill. And I love ice cream.

Under rated--baked sweet potato (nutritious & delicious), beets if they have been grown right so that they are sweet, popovers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink