Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 09:27 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times

Advertisements

A favorite food? Easy recipes? Grandmother's standbys? Grilling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 11:08 AM

Nobody would like to write one?

I'd love to write one on cheese.
The history of, the making of and cooking with, recipes...all sorts of cheeses.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:28 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
"Eating Like A Normal Person When You Have A Soy Allergy" would be mine. It would be full of long, complicated recipes for things that are commonly available already made, like bread, buns, ketchup, bbq sauce, cake, etc.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
"Eating Like A Normal Person When You Have A Soy Allergy" would be mine. It would be full of long, complicated recipes for things that are commonly available already made, like bread, buns, ketchup, bbq sauce, cake, etc.

LOL....

Old 09-10-2018, 11:49 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,083,997 times
Mine would be entitled "Conversations with my Poh-poh (maternal grandmother in Cantonese) at the Kitchen Table".

My Poh-poh's life was centered around the kitchen table. I would do my homework at the kitchen table waiting for dinner to be ready. When she made sticky rice dumplings wrapped in lotus leaves, she would have an intricate mis en plas set up with about 12 bowls of little bit sized ingredients that would all be wrapped up in the pliable overnight soaked lotus leaves with twine. She would sit there in a meditative state and make what seems like a hundred of them. Never did any of her dumplings ever leak ingredients after they were boiled. I would marvel at her cutting a salted egg yolk in fourths with a piece of twined pulled by her teeth at one end and deftly by her hand at the other end. Of course I would sneak a nibble of some of her ingredients and she would shoo me away always claiming that she only had enough ingredients. As I would walk away, I always saw a smile in her face seeming to let me know that she of course had more because she knew of my upcoming thievery.

So the book would be memories of how integral my Poh-poh was in the culinary history of our family - the matriarch and her recipes and the traditions that were connected to them.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Mine would be entitled "Conversations with my Poh-poh (maternal grandmother in Cantonese) at the Kitchen Table".

My Poh-poh's life was centered around the kitchen table. I would do my homework at the kitchen table waiting for dinner to be ready. When she made sticky rice dumplings wrapped in lotus leaves, she would have an intricate mis en plas set up with about 12 bowls of little bit sized ingredients that would all be wrapped up in the pliable overnight soaked lotus leaves with twine. She would sit there in a meditative state and make what seems like a hundred of them. Never did any of her dumplings ever leak ingredients after they were boiled. I would marvel at her cutting a salted egg yolk in fourths with a piece of twined pulled by her teeth at one end and deftly by her hand at the other end. Of course I would sneak a nibble of some of her ingredients and she would shoo me away always claiming that she only had enough ingredients. As I would walk away, I always saw a smile in her face seeming to let me know that she of course had more because she knew of my upcoming thievery.

So the book would be memories of how integral my Poh-poh was in the culinary history of our family - the matriarch and her recipes and the traditions that were connected to them.

Wow George, what awesome memories you have...!

Sounds fascinating and delicious too. She left her cooking mark on you, as you frequent cooking threads with good advice.

Maybe you really SHOULD think of writing....

That reminds me....one of the grandchildren had our grandmother's special recipes made into a homemade booklet for each of us....I really treasure having them.

Last edited by greatblueheron; 09-10-2018 at 12:04 PM..

Old 09-10-2018, 12:28 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,740,718 times
The idea of writing a cookbook is too much work,(for me) but on a couple of Christmases m my present was a homemade "booklet" of favorite recipes from various sources. It always went over well.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:41 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,383,792 times
IF (and that's a big if) I were to write a cookbook it would be about:
1 -- beyond punching a number on the microwave, lets cook the basics.
2 -- how to interpret recipes
3 -- things that go wrong with recipes and why they go wrong.
4 -- things to do differently with established recipes to made them better than the original.
5 -- how to stock a kitchen and pantry to have
a -- the bare minimum
b -- a pretty good variety
c -- a real cook's kitchen and pantry.

This book would be aimed at people just learning to cook such as young marrieds, recent college grads or people who now find themselves living alone and needing to learn the basics. Some people are needlessly overwhelmed at all the utensils and ingredients involved in cooking.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
IF (and that's a big if) I were to write a cookbook it would be about:
1 -- beyond punching a number on the microwave, lets cook the basics.
2 -- how to interpret recipes
3 -- things that go wrong with recipes and why they go wrong.
4 -- things to do differently with established recipes to made them better than the original.
5 -- how to stock a kitchen and pantry to have
a -- the bare minimum
b -- a pretty good variety
c -- a real cook's kitchen and pantry.

This book would be aimed at people just learning to cook such as young marrieds, recent college grads or people who now find themselves living alone and needing to learn the basics. Some people are needlessly overwhelmed at all the utensils and ingredients involved in cooking.

Very helpful, GT...be a good gift for younger people. I love reading about kitchens and pantries...

Old 09-10-2018, 01:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
I think I would try to write 2: one entitled recipes from the past and gear it to the old favorites from my family that is why I love buying cook books from church gatherings and places like that so much,.

The other would be 'Gourmet meals made for today's cook" It would contain alternative ways to prepare foods we have always thought were too involved and only for those who consider themselves top of the line cooks. How about a simple Hollandaise sauce or stuffed salmon.

Oh, a third one I would love to play with would be a good book on canning with new and unusual recipes. Like later this week I am doing pickled radishes and not the recipes you wee on the net. I suppose my canning is the one thing I love to spend in the kitchen doing the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink