U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 09:06 PM

42,188 posts, read 61,004,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
There are as many variations in BBQ as there are parts on animals. .
Right: there are four main BBQ styles/variation, OP.

Read this if you want to know:

https://learntobbq.com/four-styles-bbq-united-states/

About the pulled pork you can read here:

https://www.southernliving.com/bbq/p...-bbq-evolution
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance
Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 01:42 AM

10,508 posts, read 20,071,270 times
Someone tried calling kalua pig 'pulled pork'. Not sure where they were from, but not from around here!

And of course you need a whole pig for a luau! As well as hundreds of laulau and toss in a half dozen turkeys just for variety. Add more if the luau is for more than two days.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:02 AM

36,683 posts, read 22,991,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Someone tried calling kalua pig 'pulled pork'. Not sure where they were from, but not from around here!

And of course you need a whole pig for a luau! As well as hundreds of laulau and toss in a half dozen turkeys just for variety. Add more if the luau is for more than two days.

No, I was just referring to the fact that cooking a whole pig is a lot of work.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-11-2020, 08:00 AM

22,953 posts, read 23,640,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
A whole hog would take days in an offset smoker using indirect heat, hence the reason they use a pit with direct heat.

Unless you are running a restaurant, who the heck needs a whole hog. Most home cooks need a smaller amount and they typically cook pork shoulders which you can cook on indirect heat. I do them and they take 12+ hours on a smoker. I use an offset stick burner. It has a firebox on the side and the meat goes in the main part of the pit and yes it is a pit. I also sometimes use it with direct heat.

This is also the way I do brisket, something that is way more common in Texas and I do way more than pork.

Pulled and chopped are the same thing. It's pork meat in smaller pieces. Pulled means you pull it apart with your hands, extra chopping is optional. It is bland and almost always needs extra moisture/flavor. I do like the Carolina style sauces more than the sweet tomato based sauces they use in TX and KC.

Speaking of brisket, I was getting it for around $2 a pound, around $22 for an 11 pounds. With the prices nowadays, I will have to forego having it for a while. That's beef, pork is still reasonable.
As someone who works with people who roast whole hogs in AZ for a living via Indirect heat I can tell you it doesn't take "days". If it did they'd be out of business real quick!

Depending on the size of the pig/hog it takes anywhere from 5-24 hours.

When did BBQ become "Pulled Pork?"-pig-roast.jpg

Last edited by jimj; 06-11-2020 at 08:25 AM..

Old 06-11-2020, 08:21 AM

48,772 posts, read 47,069,638 times
It didn't "become" pulled pork. It always was that, just not in the region where you grew up.

TV networks blurred the lines and caused things to be misnamed.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:25 AM

7,648 posts, read 3,609,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
memphis and kansas city and austin are about the only places you can get true bbq from anymore .
Actually, you want to go to places like Palestine or Wylie, TX or Blue Mound, KS to get better barbecue than in the cities. I'm equally sure there are fantastic pits in NC, all through the South, and so on, I just don't know where they are.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:31 AM

7,648 posts, read 3,609,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
There are just so many different angles to "barbeque." Or is it "barbecue"?

There is no Q in barbecue.

The word derives from "Barbacoa" in Spanish. If you remember that you'll never have any trouble remembering how to spell "barbecue". If you spell it "barbeque" it would be pronounced "barbeck". (In fact here in the Dallas area we have a cafe called just that: "Barbec's" as a sarcastic comment on the common misspelling.)

Old 06-11-2020, 09:03 AM

42,188 posts, read 61,004,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

The word derives from "Barbacoa" in Spanish. If you remember that you'll never have any trouble remembering how to spell "barbecue". If you spell it "barbeque" it would be pronounced "barbeck". (In fact here in the Dallas area we have a cafe called just that: "Barbec's" as a sarcastic comment on the common misspelling.)
While the standard modern English spelling of the word is barbecue, variations including barbeque and truncations such as bar-b-q or BBQ may also be found. The spelling barbeque is given in Merriam-Webster and the Oxford Dictionaries as a variant.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbecue

The q is said to come from the French term barbe à queue (translation: "whisker to tail") and was one of the many spelling variations that arose long before someone decided to officially add the cooking method to the dictionary.
https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/na...beque-spelling
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance
Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:55 AM

4,461 posts, read 3,014,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Depending on the size of the pig/hog it takes anywhere from 5-24 hours.
Attachment 221173
I was exaggerating but now that you mention it, would it take that amount of time at 225F ?

That is about the temp I run on a shoulder, actually half a shoulder and that takes at least 12 to 14 hours. It weighs about 9 to 10lbs.

Also, judging from your picture, that looks pretty direct to me. The smoke is coming out from right under the pig?

Old 06-11-2020, 10:04 AM

4,461 posts, read 3,014,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Sure there is.

Is it BBQ or BBC?

A lot of people actually call it 'Q'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink