U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 11:48 AM

12,045 posts, read 15,646,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The only time I had something that was called "pulled pork", it tasted like it had vinegar on it. I wasn't expecting it. I like vinegar well enough, but it doesn't go on pork. Blech.
There's a local place that opened up advertising Carolina style pulled pork. I couldn't wait to try it because I love some Memphis pulled pork. Yeah, got a mouthful of that vinegary sauce and realized that all pulled pork is not the same and I don't love any kind of BBQ after all. I like it wet or dry but not with vinegar!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2020, 06:21 PM

27,868 posts, read 31,425,916 times
Quote:
The only time I had something that was called "pulled pork", it tasted like it had vinegar on it. I wasn't expecting it. I like vinegar well enough, but it doesn't go on pork. Blech.
LOL, I only like pulled pork with sufficient vinegar. And I definitely put vinegar on 90% of prepared pulled pork.

Old 06-15-2020, 05:34 AM

1,719 posts, read 495,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Pulled pork is served in ether a red or white sauce and refers how the cut of pork (Boston butt) is slow cooked until it falls apart and then pulled apart usually with a fork.

BBQ is roasted over an open fire, usually on a grill, and basted either during or after grilling with many types of BBQ sauces.

Two different meat servings. I never had Boston Butt grilled and BBQ-ed. Mostly BBQ is rib meat. Boston Butt is fatty and lacks the flavor of rib meat. Boston Butt is used to make pork sausage.
Then how do you account for the various manufacturers of offset pits and the number of BBQ competitions won by those who use them? Adding sauce too soon will get you some nasty burnt ribs, especially if there is sugar in it.

That fat on butts bastes the meat during a cook, with the addition of wood smoke, low and slow cooking, makes for some devine swine. It is also great for making Cochinita Pibil and Cuban style pork roast, both done low and slow without smoke and wrapped in banana leaves. I like my ribs, both St. Louis cut and baby backs, but I'll take butt, done right, over them anytime!

Old 06-26-2020, 08:44 AM

1,456 posts, read 610,469 times
Quote:
My understanding is that vinegar and peppers (recipes I’ve seen contain vinegar, hot pepper spice, a little sugar, salt, and black pepper) is a standard sauce for Eastern Carolina style chopped pork, as opposed to Lexington style, which is more red sauce oriented. I like either kind, but YMMV.

Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM

63,236 posts, read 59,932,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
My understanding is that vinegar and peppers (recipes I’ve seen contain vinegar, hot pepper spice, a little sugar, salt, and black pepper) is a standard sauce for Eastern Carolina style chopped pork, as opposed to Lexington style, which is more red sauce oriented. I like either kind, but YMMV.
Yes, mine does vary. No style of pulled or chopped pork is appealing to me no matter what it's drenched in. Just wasn't a thing I ever knew, and when I tried it, I was underwhelmed. I like pork in chops and ribs and roasts, though.

Old Today, 06:33 AM

1,328 posts, read 312,853 times
I lived in Memphis 18 years and ate barbeque too often. They chop all of the barbeque there, but I always preferred mine to be pulled or shredded. Barbeque has always been pulled pork to me--as I eat no beef barbeque.

Over the years, pork has become the other white meat--bred to be lean. I call it Tysonizing of pork--like they've done to chickens.

The best pork barbeque in our area comes from Kentucky at a farm where they raise pigs the old way--very fatty. And the best barbeque is not cooked on hybrid natural gas cookers with two small logs, it's cooked on pits rendering the fat directly on smoldering hardwood coals. That's where the really good smoke comes from.

I'm always in search of really superior barbeque, and it's getting harder and harder to find the really good stuff. I'm fortunate to have a son in law that's a competitive barbeque chef--top 10 at Memphis in May. He keeps us with great barbeque and sauces far superior to what can be bought.

Old Today, 06:39 AM

16,937 posts, read 9,389,079 times
For me, barbecue depends on context. It can be a very generic meat cooked outdoors on a grill surface. Growing up, a barbecue grill was a round metal grill with charcoal briquettes and direct heat. If someone invited you to a backyard barbecue, I expected dogs and burgers. It can mean smoked on indirect heat in the context of a restaurant. I would never assume pulled pork.

Old Today, 12:52 PM

655 posts, read 452,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
For me, barbecue depends on context. It can be a very generic meat cooked outdoors on a grill surface. Growing up, a barbecue grill was a round metal grill with charcoal briquettes and direct heat. If someone invited you to a backyard barbecue, I expected dogs and burgers. It can mean smoked on indirect heat in the context of a restaurant. I would never assume pulled pork.
Pulled pork is OK, but it's not my favorite. I am Kansas City born and bred, and I've been eating BBQ here for more than 50 years. What sets Kansas City apart from Texas, Memphis, and the Carolinas is that we BBQ EVERYTHING here. We'll throw just about any critter on the grill.

One of the best BBQ restaurants here, Jack Stack, offers just about everything. Some of their most unique offerings are lamb ribs, salmon with blackberry BBQ sauce, trout, shrimp, and turkey... Of course, you can still order all of the other traditional standbys (beef, pork, and chicken). According to one Zagat's guide, Jack Stack is the third best BBQ restaurant in the US. I have frequent flier miles here along with the No. 1 restaurant, Joe's Kansas City.

Here's Jack Stack's menu.
https://www.jackstackbbq.com/freight-house-menus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink