U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 04:47 PM

11,854 posts, read 13,718,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If I have not eaten all day and there is a chance of a wait, I will eat something before dinner.
"Not eaten all day." How is that even possible? Do you realize how many people would envy that ability?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 05:40 AM

75,844 posts, read 88,728,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Bought food sucks. Plain and simple, what I make at home is so far above what can be bought (or rather, what the people we know are willing to pay) that I'd rather just have a side salad. I go out to be social, not to eat... and if I'm going to a restaurant to eat, it's with only my wife and is a special event (maybe once every few years). Money isn't an issue in this case, I can more than afford the food but choose NOT to because it's not a good value (and why waste calories on food I don't find appealing?)

I'll have a side salad or something else that's generally pretty hard to mess up (and light). Though, sometimes people will want to go to something like a sports bar, where it's fried food or nothing and I'll just have water (or a beer if there's something local that sounds interesting). No one is bothered by it, I'm old and they all know that's just the way I am... not like the establishments care.

As for eating with friends/family, they all know that if they want me (us, really, as my wife started the not eating late thing a few decades back) to eat, we have to Finish by 6pm. None of them do this, and they all know we won't eat anything they fix. They'd ask, multiples of times, if we were sure about them not making anything for the first decade or so but now know it's just normal. So long as I can fill my water bottle (tap is fine), I'm good.

Yes, I know, this is "weird". I'm weird, do things completely contrary to what most people think and expect. Nothing new for me to see confused reactions. I'm just over doing things because "that's the way they're done" when it doesn't make sense for me. I'm not going to buy food that's more expensive and lower quality than I can, and do, make at home daily. Friends/family don't care now that they understand that I'm there to visit with Them, the food is irrelevant. Sadly, the experience can still get in the way and there are simply some places I 100% refuse to go, and at that point when others are going there I'll tell them I'd like to come but find XYZ place to be too distracting (hasn't happened in years, most of the time they said that since I pointed it out they saw it too and picked another place on their own).
There are still a few foods or types of food that taste better at a restaurant: Asian for one, not to mention fixing it at home is a mess; I will stick with eating out and getting away from the kitchen from time to time. I love to cook, but I enjoy a decent meal out as well.

Old 06-12-2020, 05:45 AM

75,844 posts, read 88,728,085 times
We rarely eat even a light snack nor do we drink anything before we go out. If it is going to be a really late dinner that might be a little different, but generally, at our age, late would be dinner after say, 6pm. well maybe more like 7pm.

Old 06-12-2020, 06:50 AM

20,903 posts, read 23,305,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone else like to drink something, or eat a small snack, *before* they go out to a restaurant with others?

I have done this in the past occasionally. I would drink something because I don't want to be the guy who is complaining about not getting a refill. Or, I would eat something (like a slice of bread) so I wouldn't be starving or eating up all the appetizers. I don't want to be either of those people if I'm in the presence of my friends or family.
I get my own apetizer. If I’m with other people besides my wife......they can get their own appetizers too.

Old 06-12-2020, 07:07 AM

2,837 posts, read 6,952,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I get my own apetizer. If I’m with other people besides my wife......they can get their own appetizers too.
I do the same as you. Generally I don't eat before going out to eat. With my wife and I, going out to eat is a splurge for us and we will order an appetizer if we are hungry enough and usually a lighter main course. On a rare occasion we may order an alcoholic beverage (mainly myself).

Over the years, eating out has become pricy so we examine every thing on the menu.

Old 06-12-2020, 11:07 AM

14,807 posts, read 25,261,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
"Not eaten all day." How is that even possible? Do you realize how many people would envy that ability?
There were a lot of days when I was working when a 7 pm dinner was the first meal of the day. I know that that is not healthy but I had to remain focused on what I was working on.. Since my day generally ended ay 2 am, it was not like it was right before bed.

Old 06-12-2020, 01:29 PM

17,794 posts, read 22,290,887 times
I guess I am one of the few that doesn't think restaurant foods suck? I only had maybe 2 bad meals in 35 years. I have had pretty good experiences with dining out. I also don't cheap out when it comes to dining out.

Old 06-12-2020, 03:14 PM

16,060 posts, read 22,166,097 times
Does pre-gaming at home for free count??

Old 06-12-2020, 08:58 PM

966 posts, read 250,493 times
Depending on the circumstances, I might have something so that I don't land at the restaurant being too hungry. This would be for instance when we're meeting people and want to kind of talk more than eat, if that makes sense. ALso if it's a huge group that might take forever to order, etc.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:39 AM

7,088 posts, read 5,701,408 times
If we're going somewhere with over-priced drinks, we might "pre-game" with our dinner mates at one of our houses to lower our alcohol bill at the restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or