U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 10:13 AM

15,442 posts, read 941,382 times

Advertisements

If you eat and drink at home before going out - why bother?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 11:30 AM

4,611 posts, read 2,125,743 times
This sounds like the old money-saver trick for men on dates. Traditionally, although not always, the woman won't order more than the man. So, before a lunch or dinner date, the man stops at a fast food joint, and eats a meal. Then on the date, he orders just an appetizer and a drink. The woman usually follows suit, not wanting to order more than her date. And so, money gets saved, both when the check is split and when the man pays.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:34 AM

39,663 posts, read 48,986,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Yes, when we have guests over to our house, we usually sit on the patio and have a drink or two and some light snacks before heading out to dinner. Sometimes it has a bearing on what we order at the restaurant, but more often, it does not.
That’s what we do too.
Even when it’s just the two of us, we have a cocktail at home first, because they charge so much in restaurants.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:36 AM

5,753 posts, read 2,534,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
If you eat and drink at home before going out - why bother?
If I go to brunch, I usually eat beforehand because I can’t avoid eating until 10 or 11am. I will get a migraine. I usually have something small, but I normally get up early and if I don’t eat by 8 at the latest, I feel ill.

Old 06-13-2020, 05:27 PM

17,861 posts, read 8,443,561 times
The only time I'd drink something before I went to a restaurant would be to "pre-game" so to speak and not wanting to pay for expensive alcohol at an establishment. I'd only eat something beforehand if the portion sizes where I was going were small and expensive, and I know I wouldn't be full from what I would have for dinner. No other considerations really come to mind in my case.

Old 06-14-2020, 05:36 AM

75,841 posts, read 88,714,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
If I go to brunch, I usually eat beforehand because I can’t avoid eating until 10 or 11am. I will get a migraine. I usually have something small, but I normally get up early and if I don’t eat by 8 at the latest, I feel ill.

that is the exception though. You have a legit reason for needing to eat. I think most of us, who do not have a health issue do wonder why bother to go out if you are going to eat before you go. We go to church most Sundays and don't eat breakfast until 10:30 or 11 anyway, whether we eat at home of go with friends to our favorite restaurant for breakfast.

Old 06-15-2020, 03:51 AM

2 posts, read 134 times
Never.…………………...

Old 06-15-2020, 06:19 AM

19,109 posts, read 25,013,449 times
What they if the restaurant is very expensive??

Some plates go for over 50 dollars !! And higher !!

On the special occasion it’s not a buffet .. and white tablecloths
I don’t want to go hungry - many of these places
Put style over substance - very small portions At ridiculous prices - I still can’t get over
The 30 dollar scallops I ordered a few yrs ago - no it was 3 scallops - but damn 3 scallops !!
Anyways I have eaten before
Going to a nice place ... and I wanted to drink in the car on the way over - but got voted down
I buckled and bought an 8 dollar beer ...

Why even go there?? Some will ask
The ladies like expensive places

Old 06-15-2020, 02:30 PM

17,794 posts, read 22,286,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
What they if the restaurant is very expensive??

Some plates go for over 50 dollars !! And higher !!

On the special occasion it’s not a buffet .. and white tablecloths
I don’t want to go hungry - many of these places
Put style over substance - very small portions At ridiculous prices - I still can’t get over
The 30 dollar scallops I ordered a few yrs ago - no it was 3 scallops - but damn 3 scallops !!
Anyways I have eaten before
Going to a nice place ... and I wanted to drink in the car on the way over - but got voted down
I buckled and bought an 8 dollar beer ...

Why even go there?? Some will ask
The ladies like expensive places
not all ladies like expensive places. Although I have eaten in many I wouldn't mind a place that was under $30 a plate.Ill eat where ever the food is good expensive or cheap.

Old Yesterday, 05:45 AM

19,109 posts, read 25,013,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
not all ladies like expensive places. Although I have eaten in many I wouldn't mind a place that was under $30 a plate.Ill eat where ever the food is good expensive or cheap.

There are times I would ask my son a question
I never got growing up - if he could pick out
Anywhere to go eat where would it be??
So he chooses the most expensive place in the area
I took him on his birthday and said you can choose
Anything on the menu

This goes against every fiber of my Dave Ramsey
Cheap bastard financial being
But I’m also creating memories -
And we had an awesome time with very good food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or