U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2020, 08:59 PM

30,154 posts, read 29,883,331 times

Advertisements

I'm apparently not human. I never want to eat the entire bag, package, or box of anything. I don't like Doritos.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 09:00 PM

9,186 posts, read 4,627,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
My parents, who did not come from ME, ate the nasty-looking green mush known as tomales, or something that sounded like that. My brother and I were totally grossed out by the mere appearance of that stuff.
Yep. Locals in Nova Scotia eat of all stuff, too, and they can't believe we don't. They think we're a bunch of wimps. I've tried, but I just can't bring myself to eat it.

I guess it's good that they eat (almost) every part of the lobster and don't waste as much of it as we do.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:37 PM

71,080 posts, read 66,882,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Buttertart squares. I hack away little bites until a piece is gone, then I start on another piece. One of my favorite deserts!
Buttertarts come in squares? I only know the round ones. They are soooo good.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:38 PM

71,080 posts, read 66,882,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I always order pizza with the best of intentions ("I'll get a big salad, too! It'll be meals for days!") and it never quite works out as planned.
Exactly. Three days later, you have to throw away the salad

Old 06-14-2020, 11:47 AM

1,723 posts, read 1,385,801 times
I have trouble controlling myself with Sunchips. I wish they came in very tiny bags. They probably do, now that I think about it.

But then it would be difficult to buy just one bag.

Old 06-14-2020, 04:40 PM

7,729 posts, read 4,854,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Yep. Locals in Nova Scotia eat of all stuff, too, and they can't believe we don't. They think we're a bunch of wimps. I've tried, but I just can't bring myself to eat it.

I guess it's good that they eat (almost) every part of the lobster and don't waste as much of it as we do.
Veering off-topic, but this will interest you or anybody who has wondered what the green stuff is. Read the comments below the short article for the real “meat” of the subject!

I will never touch that stuff! Not that it makes any difference, because ever since I watched my parents boil live lobsters I could not bring myself to eat it. People talk about being traumatized as kids when they found kittens or puppies drowned in bags of rocks. For me, it was seing the dark speckly living lobsters desperately trying to escape the boiling water. Turning bright orange-red in the process.

https://maine-lobster.com/lobster-tomalley-green-stuff

Old 06-15-2020, 06:09 AM

19,435 posts, read 26,729,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Veering off-topic, but this will interest you or anybody who has wondered what the green stuff is. Read the comments below the short article for the real “meat” of the subject!

I will never touch that stuff! Not that it makes any difference, because ever since I watched my parents boil live lobsters I could not bring myself to eat it. People talk about being traumatized as kids when they found kittens or puppies drowned in bags of rocks. For me, it was seing the dark speckly living lobsters desperately trying to escape the boiling water. Turning bright orange-red in the process.

https://maine-lobster.com/lobster-tomalley-green-stuff
My grandmother loved the tomale
Put it on ritz crackers years ago

We called it green sh—. On a ritz.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:57 AM

7,480 posts, read 1,279,843 times
Pizza or pizza like food: totinos, pizza rolls, pizza pasta, stromboli, calzones, bagel bites, etc.

Pretzels (soft) or rolls

Chocolate milk

Old 06-15-2020, 10:16 AM

7,729 posts, read 4,854,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
My grandmother loved the tomale
Put it on ritz crackers years ago

We called it green sh—. On a ritz.
Good name.

I love guacamole, which is similarly green and spoonable. But I know it came out of a plant and it doesn’t bother me, which is funny because I’m not vegan. Even though I don’t seek out pate and would be reluctant to eat it, I could eat *a little bit* even though it, too, comes from an animal’s filter organ.

Our personal cultural histories defy logic sometimes.

Old 06-15-2020, 01:47 PM

66,222 posts, read 47,812,836 times
Even though I live in Krispy Kreme country there's a small, one store only family owned donut shop at the beach I live near that sells one style donut and blows Krispy Kreme into the weeds. I avoid going there as I could eat half a bag before even thinking about how many I'd eaten.

Other temptations I don't avoid:

Good bread (especially with Roquefort, pears, and wine), homemade pirogis, good kielbasa and kabanosy, dark chocolate, pizza, shrimp, cherries, any sort of berry, homemade ice cream and sorbet, and that's just a sampling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink