U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 03:45 PM

58,279 posts, read 4,311,818 times

Advertisements

I would like to try some tamarind in a recipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 05:43 AM

1,728 posts, read 498,179 times
I would love to get my hands on some live Langoustines!

Old 06-15-2020, 08:23 AM

3,133 posts, read 491,139 times
Sauteed oyster mushrooms over fresh fettuccine

Boiled eggs marinated 48 hours in mirin and soy sauce as ingredient in udon

Next ingredients I want to try:

Watercress
Tempeh

Old 06-15-2020, 09:54 AM

953 posts, read 218,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The True CLT Native Gal View Post
I want to try rose water for baking perhaps even making fresh homemade ice cream. I saw a recipe on YouTube for a Indian dessert. I wondered where I would find rose water aside from making it myself (by planting roses and not spraying them with herbicides or roundup so I could digest them without poisoning myself) well I finally saw it a month ago at my local Harris Teeter. I’ll find the recipe again then make my purchase at the store accordingly.
Make sure either rose water or orange blossom water are made from the real thing and not just chemicals. Accidentally bought some chemical OB once cause I didn't check the label. YECH!

You can find both at Middle Eastern markets. Also be careful not to over use, as, like saffron, then can get medicine tasting if too much is used.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
32,431 posts, read 59,099,428 times
Hen of the Woods, otherwise known as maitake mushroom.We had them years ago in a meal at a very expensive but nice restaurant. We have not found them fresh since then but recently found them dried online, and bought a large container of them, about $20 for 1/4 lb. They just have to be re-hydrated with hot water for an hour before using. First I made raviolis with them as the stuffing, along with a few other ingredients. Then, just last night I used them on a homemade pizza, along with pepperoni and black olives.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:48 PM

4,924 posts, read 2,236,064 times
Brined lemons. I have a jar in the cupboard, just haven't quite figured out what to do with it. Maybe rice.

I got za'atar at the same middle eastern market; used it in deviled eggs. It's milder than I expected. I'd like to use more (still have most of the bag), but not sure in what.

I mostly cook Italian, Mexican, American, and Thai food. I'd like to expand my repertoire. So I buy stuff like the brined lemons and za'atar, and they sit. If I liked couscous or tabbouleh, I'd put them in there...

Cookie butter. I see it used on baking shows, and finally bought a jar. Didn't figure out what to make with it before it was gone, eaten by the spoonful. Yum yum, won't buy that again!

Old 06-15-2020, 01:40 PM

953 posts, read 218,463 times
Preserved lemon is used in a lot of tagines. Find a recipe you like. You don't have to use a tagine pan. We use a heavy enamel/cast iron pan and it does fine. I've got a couple of Middle Eastern cookbooks if you need some direction.

Old 06-15-2020, 02:00 PM

60,240 posts, read 43,737,053 times
I've had it when out and about but I wish I could find the middle-eastern lamb sausage Merguez locally to play with in some recipes.

Old 06-15-2020, 02:18 PM

27,913 posts, read 31,452,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Brined lemons. I have a jar in the cupboard, just haven't quite figured out what to do with it. Maybe rice.

I got za'atar at the same middle eastern market; used it in deviled eggs. It's milder than I expected. I'd like to use more (still have most of the bag), but not sure in what.

I mostly cook Italian, Mexican, American, and Thai food. I'd like to expand my repertoire. So I buy stuff like the brined lemons and za'atar, and they sit. If I liked couscous or tabbouleh, I'd put them in there...
I have some preserved lemons in progress now! They should be ready this week - just at my 30 days now.

So far the mental plan is to make salad dressing and use in roasted meats. Should be great in a tomato salad. Probably in a yogurt dip or cold soup.

As for the za'atar, I have used mine in a few ways - avocado toast, bread dipping sauce, poultry seasoning. I bet it would be great on a focaccia or a flat bread or really any bread if you bake (I don't). You can also use it for salad dressing, on top of hummus, as part of yogurt dip. I do sometimes kick it up with chile flakes, just because those are my favorites.

Old 06-15-2020, 02:21 PM

27,913 posts, read 31,452,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I've had it when out and about but I wish I could find the middle-eastern lamb sausage Merguez locally to play with in some recipes.
me too! It is so good. I am imagining a jambalaya/red beans and rice type of dish - merguez, chickpeas, rice, chicken, roasted pepper, maybe some dried fruits, saffron....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or