U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 10:32 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,827,266 times

Advertisements

We use both Euro-type butter (higher butterfat %) and butter blends. No margarines or fake butters.

Plugra Euro butter, unsalted
Challenge Euro butter, unsalted if available and salted if not
Kerrygold salted (the only butter I’ve bought that actually comes from Europe)
Land O’ Lakes Euro version, unsalted

Challenge Olive Oil and Butter blend
Land O’ Lakes Olive Oil and Butter blend

The blends are soft when cold so easy to spread and easy to use in recipes calling for mixing “creamed” or “softened” butter with flour. I prefer this to make biscuits but use straight EVOO in leavened flatbread dough.

The pure butters are the high-octane stuff, as far as dairy flavor goes. Kerrygold stands out for its distinct taste, which isn’t always what I want, depending on the application. I read that it is one of the “cultured” butters, and that that gives it the different flavor balance. The reason why KG is the only one I prefer salted is that I only use it as a bread spread, never for cooking.

And variety is good! I have not used ghee at home though I had it in an Indian restaurant. I thought it was missing something—likely the dairy flavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 10:41 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,827,266 times
Folks, it is Challenge butter, not ChallengeR.

OP, have you tried Brummel’s yogurt-based spread? It tastes surprisingly good, not too yogurty.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:18 AM

16,099 posts, read 20,847,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I have not used ghee at home though I had it in an Indian restaurant. I thought it was missing something—likely the dairy flavor.

I have ghee in my fridge to use when I cook on the cast Iron skillet. I've tried two different brands from Indian grocers (big Indian population here), and neither left any discernible dairy or butter flavor. I've actually spooned some out of the jar and still don't find much of a buttery flavor. These days, I usually use avocado oil in the cast iron, which has a higher smoke point than ghee. When the jar of ghee in the fridge is empty, I'll likely not buy anymore.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:37 AM

17,863 posts, read 22,337,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I only buy Kerrygold butter, but I only buy butter for the Holiday season. The rest of the year I use Smart Balance or earth balance for my toast.

Imperial is cheap, whoever said it is the same price as butter, doesn't shop where I do The 4 stick boxes are always under a buck, often .79 .89 a box ( 1lb) It is fine for baking.
That was me I live in NY on LI and I swear 1 lb of imperial the price was about $3.89 but I was wrong it is $1.19

Old 06-15-2020, 11:39 AM

58,230 posts, read 4,311,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
That was me I live in NY on LI and I swear 1 lb of imperial the price was about $3.89 but I was wrong it is $1.19
No problem. I buy it for cheap baking. It is less than a buck a pound here.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:09 PM

27,914 posts, read 31,452,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
And variety is good! I have not used ghee at home though I had it in an Indian restaurant. I thought it was missing something—likely the dairy flavor.
Ghee basically has removed all the dairy solids. So it just tastes kinda warm a little nutty? I don't really have a good word for it. I have been putting it on popcorn, and I like it way better than butter for that!

It can be a little rich for some things, but I love it for scrambled eggs. And I use it as my oil base for some things. I tried roasted veggies and didn't like it.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:36 PM

452 posts, read 499,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Mine too, other 'regular' brands seem tasteless after using Kerrygold.
This is so true.

Old 06-15-2020, 01:01 PM

209 posts, read 247,839 times
I haven't found a brand of butter that I care anything about so I just use the store brand sticks for baking. For everyday use though, we just love Earth Balance. I get the soy-free one and pray they never stop making it. It tastes soooo good! It is a little firmer than most spreads but the taste makes up for it.

Old 06-15-2020, 01:18 PM

12,832 posts, read 21,507,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
Butter only, Publix or Land-o-Lakes. Kerrygold if I'm making butter cookies or shortbread cookies.

I do have to say though, Imperial does have its place. There's a cookie I make that doesn't come out right unless you use Imperial. I use up what's left in Cajun cooking when you need higher heat, but don't want to use all oil.
My mom tried for years to replicate my dads favorite raisin filled cookie his mom made, and never wrote down the recipe. She finally did it. In her case it wasn’t margarine, it was lard. The fat in the recipe was half lard, half butter. That Christmas my dad was in hog heaven with those cookies. Six months later he had his first heart attack and those cookies were off the table.

Old 06-15-2020, 02:22 PM

17,863 posts, read 22,337,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
No problem. I buy it for cheap baking. It is less than a buck a pound here.
I had cookies made with Margarine and I defiantly taste the difference from the ones made with butter.
I'll stick with real butter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or