U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 04:43 PM

17,975 posts, read 18,165,428 times

Advertisements

Yum, eggs cooked in butter...........Kerrygold is pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 05:53 PM

193 posts, read 53,133 times
Thanks for your replies. I never tried Costco's butter but most likely it comes in a large quantity, which won't work for me but I will check it out when I go next time. And lots of people mentioned Kerry Butter. I have seen it but never tried it. And I have never heard of or seen the brand Challenger. I looked at Earth Balance and Smart Balance but they both have that pea protein in it too, which does not sound appetizing.

Old 06-15-2020, 06:06 PM

8,912 posts, read 5,377,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog2 View Post
Thanks for your replies. I never tried Costco's butter but most likely it comes in a large quantity, which won't work for me but I will check it out when I go next time.
It comes as four one-pound boxes wrapped together. Each box has four sticks just like any other pound of butter. (Costco also sells butter in sets of four one-pound blocks; I don't buy those). I open the package, put one box in the refrigerator and the other three in the freezer where it lasts forever. Well, it doesn't last forever in my house but butter freezes perfectly for a long, long time.

Costco has the best price on butter that I have seen anywhere so if price is at all an issue and you have the storage space, it's worth it.

Old 06-15-2020, 06:30 PM

12,845 posts, read 6,789,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Folks, it is Challenge butter, not ChallengeR.

OP, have you tried Brummel’s yogurt-based spread? It tastes surprisingly good, not too yogurty.
That's usually our go-to. .

Old 06-15-2020, 08:20 PM

16,155 posts, read 19,115,534 times
I prefer to use the higher butterfat style butter like Finlandia, Kerrygold, or Land O' Lakes Euro-style for bread, sandwiches, or anything where you really taste the butter. Also for baking anything that should taste buttery in the final product like pastry.

I have some conventional, usually store brand, butter for other cooking purposes as its flavor is fine in cooked goods. But for the fresh taste and smooth consistency, I prefer the higher butterfat of European style butters.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:37 PM

28,042 posts, read 26,732,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I prefer to use the higher butterfat style butter like Finlandia, Kerrygold, or Land O' Lakes Euro-style for bread, sandwiches, or anything where you really taste the butter. Also for baking anything that should taste buttery in the final product like pastry.

I have some conventional, usually store brand, butter for other cooking purposes as its flavor is fine in cooked goods. But for the fresh taste and smooth consistency, I prefer the higher butterfat of European style butters.
Yes. If I'm going to grease a pan, I don't care what brand it is.

Old 06-16-2020, 12:55 AM

5,782 posts, read 3,114,560 times
Kerrygold, the Irish brand of grass-fed butter, unsalted or salted.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:07 AM

17,870 posts, read 22,349,878 times
I have had Finlandia and it was very good. growing up we always had breakstones whipped butter in the tub salted and unsalted.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:46 AM

76,019 posts, read 88,906,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Glad to see that there are a lot of "butter only" households out there. We came to the same realization that butter tastes better. As for the brand, I use Aldi because I can't tell any difference between it and premium options. I've been meaning to make my own (from fresh, local cream) just to see if I can even tell a difference, but haven't gotten there yet.

Salted only here, for baking I can't tell a difference and I prefer the convenience.
Salted only for us as well, but as for Aldi's I don't think it has much flavor. WE too usually use it as I said earlier.

Old 06-16-2020, 11:24 AM

10,804 posts, read 9,501,652 times
Before we went vegan, KerryGold or Amish Roll Butter.

Now we use an avocado based spread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or