U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 05:52 PM

19,108 posts, read 25,009,520 times

Advertisements

Have many awesome butcher knives

Tough to pick just one
Love the air fryer and instapot
And yes have the kitchen aid mixer
Have a grinder for sausage making dehydrator for jerky
Have a big George rotisserie
Have a basic slow cooker
And now have a traeger smoker grill
And regular grill on the deck
And just bought a brand new kitchen stove

Tough to pick one we love to cook
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 07:16 PM

967 posts, read 786,541 times
Oh, the Instant Pot, that is extremely versatile. You can cook a roast in it, then make soup out of the leftover roast, ect.
Once I figure out how to not have my veggies turn to mush, I’ll like it even more.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:44 PM

11,391 posts, read 22,198,746 times
Mine is the Kitchenaid mixer. I make bread, pizza crust, tortillas, mashed potatoes, cookies...it even shreds cooked chicken.

I do use the food processor more than I used to. My hands get sore if I'm doing a lot of chopping, like making cole slaw. I would also like to find a painless way to grate parmesan. I prefer it freshly grated, but it's so much work.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:50 PM

967 posts, read 786,541 times
For a non-mechanical piece of versatile equipment, I’d say the Dutch oven. I once made Belgian style French fries in one.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:29 PM

5,692 posts, read 3,081,450 times
My knives!

https://www.wusthof.com/collections/classic

Old 06-18-2020, 12:20 AM

14,803 posts, read 25,253,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Have many awesome butcher knives

Tough to pick just one
Love the air fryer and instapot
And yes have the kitchen aid mixer
Have a grinder for sausage making dehydrator for jerky
Have a big George rotisserie
Have a basic slow cooker
And now have a traeger smoker grill
And regular grill on the deck
And just bought a brand new kitchen stove

Tough to pick one we love to cook

I wish that I had that much kitchen space to handle all of of that equipment. The only thing I would not want is a new kitchen stove. The 1980s model I have does a better job than the new ones my neighbors have brought home.

=======================

I do have two new toys in the past year:

Ulu knife and cutting board
https://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Birch-...01288440&psc=1

At first, I did not think it was necessary BUT it does a great job shopping herbs like cilantro and basil.

The second was a Stoneware sauce pan that can be used as a Dutch oven when cooking for only two people. It comes in handy and is great as it is nearly impossible to burn food in it.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:01 AM

19,108 posts, read 25,009,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I wish that I had that much kitchen space to handle all of of that equipment. The only thing I would not want is a new kitchen stove. The 1980s model I have does a better job than the new ones my neighbors have brought home.

=======================

I do have two new toys in the past year:

Ulu knife and cutting board
https://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Birch-...01288440&psc=1

At first, I did not think it was necessary BUT it does a great job shopping herbs like cilantro and basil.

The second was a Stoneware sauce pan that can be used as a Dutch oven when cooking for only two people. It comes in handy and is great as it is nearly impossible to burn food in it.
I agree

I view cooking utensils and pots n pans and gadgets like a set of golf clubs

Doesn’t matter how new or shiny they are it’s how someone can use them that counts !!
Some of our best family cooks use 50 yr old pans

I had to get a new stove - The one we had came with the house 28 years ago many of the elements didn’t work
I bought a used one off craigslist and I remove the back panel
And I had sinGed burn marks scared me around wires
So we got a new one - good lesson learned

Old 06-18-2020, 08:53 AM

1,072 posts, read 211,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
In all honesty, long life in an appliance is not necessarily a good goal. If something comes along that works better, it is fine to opt fir the thing that works better.

And if something better doesnt come alone, you get to buy same thing all over again. LOL Wood range is time consuming, but other than that, I could happily live with kitchen from 100 years ago. You set it up right even the wood range isnt a deal killer. Just takes lot more time and prep with enough of right size pieces dry wood. Unless you buy heavily processed factory food to reach your bliss point, cooking really hasnt changed much over the years. Just fancier gadgets. It slices, it dices, it walks the dog.....

Oh one gadget I recently bought, a thirty year old Vitamix. My little cheapo coffee grinder gave up ghost trying to grind flax seed during the pandemic. I was never thrilled with results it gave anyway. I looked and really not a great non-plastic option made in last 30 years so tracked down one of the old all stainless Vitamix in good shape. I dont want to wash the thing every little bit, so it will always only be used to grind small amounts of oily seed (low carb alternative to grain). I have an old hand cranked grist burr mill, but it doesnt do well with oily seed. In a non-electric world, would just have to get by with it though.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:25 AM

14,803 posts, read 25,253,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I bought a used one off craigslist and I remove the back panel
And I had sinGed burn marks scared me around wires
So we got a new one - good lesson learned

While I have bought used appliances from neighbors (usually because the appliance was the "wrong" color), I would agree that I am somewhat suspicious about used appliances.

It is like my vehicle. I don't mind driving my 14 year old car as I know how it has been treated over that period. Would I be willing to BUY a 14 year old car from someone else? Heck no.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:25 PM

26,451 posts, read 17,072,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
I agree with most of your post, as we too have been using PC's for decades, and had used our Fagor for 15 years or better before buying an IP. But we kept our old Fagor for the simple reason that if and when the power goes out we still can have a quick nutritious meal.
You must have either a gas stove or a generator! I don’t. If the power goes off, there will be no cooking done at my house. But I admire your thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or