Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 10:15 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else like to drink something, or eat a small snack, *before* they go out to a restaurant with others?

I have done this in the past occasionally. I would drink something because I don't want to be the guy who is complaining about not getting a refill. Or, I would eat something (like a slice of bread) so I wouldn't be starving or eating up all the appetizers. I don't want to be either of those people if I'm in the presence of my friends or family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 10:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,567 posts, read 81,147,605 times
No, at the places we go, there is plenty of food, in fact my wife always needs a doggie bag. I will usually get a pint of beer, and that lasts the whole meal, plus they always give me water too. In fact, I'll have a very light lunch if planning to out to dinner that night.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:26 AM

130,210 posts, read 12,093,129 times
I used to, when I was on a strict low carb diet, I would eat something low carb before going out, so I would be better able to resist temptations.

Old 06-10-2020, 12:01 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Yes, when we have guests over to our house, we usually sit on the patio and have a drink or two and some light snacks before heading out to dinner. Sometimes it has a bearing on what we order at the restaurant, but more often, it does not.

Old 06-10-2020, 12:25 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
No.

Old 06-10-2020, 12:27 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
Going out with others? Always. In fact, I'll usually eat a full meal before doing so as I'd much rather eat my own food than what's typically served (personal standards that others don't share). Keeps me from being a miserable and grumpy SOB. I also do this when going to others homes for "dinners" too, though that's mostly because I don't tend to eat after 6pm and doing so makes me feel bad, not sleep well and have a miserable following day. Since most people seem to want to wait till 8 or 9pm to eat, it's the only way I can spend an evening with friends and not hate life for the following 24 hours.

As for drinking, if you mean water, I always have a 1 liter bottle of water with me. Always. No one provides enough water to drink so I simply found the right solution, I take care of myself.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:12 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Going out with others? Always. In fact, I'll usually eat a full meal before doing so as I'd much rather eat my own food than what's typically served (personal standards that others don't share). Keeps me from being a miserable and grumpy SOB. I also do this when going to others homes for "dinners" too, though that's mostly because I don't tend to eat after 6pm and doing so makes me feel bad, not sleep well and have a miserable following day. Since most people seem to want to wait till 8 or 9pm to eat, it's the only way I can spend an evening with friends and not hate life for the following 24 hours.

As for drinking, if you mean water, I always have a 1 liter bottle of water with me. Always. No one provides enough water to drink so I simply found the right solution, I take care of myself.
I may have a drink before going out to eat but it's usually water or seltzer But I never eat right before going out. Why eat a full meal before going out to eat or to a friends for dinner might as well stay home. The only way I could see doing that is if you have severe food allergies but then again if you have that don't go to a restaurant. If going to a friends that's different bring something you can have. May I ask what those personal standards are? Also when you do go out given the fact that you have eaten already do you just sit there and not eat? or do you eat a little something.Just curious. I never eat out late, we usually make reservations for no later than 6:30 pm, if I eat too late I don't feel as good either. Sometimes though when eating at a friends you don't always get to pick the time you eat especially at my SIL she'll say come at 6 pm but be prepared to eat about 7 or 7:30. She does serve appetizers before though.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:20 PM

8,756 posts, read 5,050,099 times
Why go out, and spend money, if you are going too eat at home. I can see having a drink.....but a meal?

Old 06-10-2020, 03:38 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Why eat a full meal before going out to eat or to a friends for dinner might as well stay home.

Bought food sucks. Plain and simple, what I make at home is so far above what can be bought (or rather, what the people we know are willing to pay) that I'd rather just have a side salad. I go out to be social, not to eat... and if I'm going to a restaurant to eat, it's with only my wife and is a special event (maybe once every few years). Money isn't an issue in this case, I can more than afford the food but choose NOT to because it's not a good value (and why waste calories on food I don't find appealing?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Also when you do go out given the fact that you have eaten already do you just sit there and not eat?

....Sometimes though when eating at a friends you don't always get to pick the time you eat especially at my SIL she'll say come at 6 pm but be prepared to eat about 7 or 7:30. She does serve appetizers before though.

I'll have a side salad or something else that's generally pretty hard to mess up (and light). Though, sometimes people will want to go to something like a sports bar, where it's fried food or nothing and I'll just have water (or a beer if there's something local that sounds interesting). No one is bothered by it, I'm old and they all know that's just the way I am... not like the establishments care.

As for eating with friends/family, they all know that if they want me (us, really, as my wife started the not eating late thing a few decades back) to eat, we have to Finish by 6pm. None of them do this, and they all know we won't eat anything they fix. They'd ask, multiples of times, if we were sure about them not making anything for the first decade or so but now know it's just normal. So long as I can fill my water bottle (tap is fine), I'm good.

Yes, I know, this is "weird". I'm weird, do things completely contrary to what most people think and expect. Nothing new for me to see confused reactions. I'm just over doing things because "that's the way they're done" when it doesn't make sense for me. I'm not going to buy food that's more expensive and lower quality than I can, and do, make at home daily. Friends/family don't care now that they understand that I'm there to visit with Them, the food is irrelevant. Sadly, the experience can still get in the way and there are simply some places I 100% refuse to go, and at that point when others are going there I'll tell them I'd like to come but find XYZ place to be too distracting (hasn't happened in years, most of the time they said that since I pointed it out they saw it too and picked another place on their own).

Old 06-10-2020, 03:41 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

Great point. I hadn't thought about the late eating either. I am used to eating before 6PM. So it would be a good idea to eat something more substantial before going out, and then just maybe order a salad or something else light.

But if it's Friday or Saturday then I wouldn't care as much about the schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink