U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 07:14 AM

1,385 posts, read 782,862 times

Advertisements

I’d worry about lead content. You can get that tested. It is not safe to cook with tap water that contains high levels of lead. You can run the tap for a few minutes to mitigate the lead levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 08:09 AM

6,408 posts, read 1,526,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
I read that it's not good to cook with boiled tap water. So I decided not to use tap water to make instant mashed potatoes. However, I've come across a dilemma regarding cooking spaghetti. I don't know if I could use bottled water to make a pot of spaghetti because too much water is required.
"Is it ok to cook with boiled tap water?"

Are you serious? I know a man and woman who never used anything but tap water to cook, drank tap water, lived in the city all their lives and he lived to be 94, her----93.

For future reference, they ate fat back, pork chops, chitterlings, hog brains, beef, fried chicken, cake, ice cream, Pepsi, coffee etc. They worked hard, didn't smoke or drink (well, he smoked early on then quit), her--- never.

I never use anything but tap water. I do used filtered fridge water for my coffee.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:38 AM

8,086 posts, read 7,519,137 times
I have a reverse osmosis filter at my house. We use that water for drinking, including coffee and tea. I use tap water to boil pasta.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:05 AM

20,909 posts, read 23,325,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Is OP in some country that doesn't have safe water? (Or Flint, MI
Well barring a known issue with tap water ( poisonous or health hazard) cooking with tap water is perfectly fine.
Btw a lot of these “natural bottled water” you drink is nothing more than tap water that’s been ran through a reverse osmosis machine bottle filler and sold as “healthy bottled water”.
You don’t really think that all these water companies have their own fresh mountain water spring or lake?

Old 06-16-2020, 10:36 AM

75,864 posts, read 88,756,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
I read that it's not good to cook with boiled tap water. So I decided not to use tap water to make instant mashed potatoes. However, I've come across a dilemma regarding cooking spaghetti. I don't know if I could use bottled water to make a pot of spaghetti because too much water is required.
If you try hard enough you will always find something that claims this or that isn't good for you or good to use for cleaning or for cooking I have been married for 62 years in a couple of months and have not once using anything other than tap water for cooking. So far it doesn't seem to have done too much damage. Of course our brains only work 1/2 the time, but that could be caused by the wine not the water.

Old 06-16-2020, 01:02 PM

14,351 posts, read 13,913,125 times
Buy a water filter.

Old 06-16-2020, 01:05 PM

19,128 posts, read 22,878,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Some bottled water probably came from the tap if the truth was known.
I won't drink it! I once read that 70% of bottled water is untested! Most people who buy bottled water buy it because of the taste.

Old 06-16-2020, 02:35 PM

7,516 posts, read 3,653,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I won't drink it! I once read that 70% of bottled water is untested! Most people who buy bottled water buy it because of the taste.
In many 3rd world countries people buy it because of the assumption of safety. They had an expose once in Thailand where they tested a bunch of brands of bottled water, there wasn't much conclusive results compared to tap water because tap water quality varied so much across the city and it's hard to find a standard for acceptable levels of bacteria.

The only thing they learned is it's luck of the pipes, two houses a few blocks apart getting the same city treated water can have vastly different levels of ick in their water. What you get from the bottled water is more consistency, it might not be over the one house but it's going to be a lot better than the other one that has some issues somewhere along the line.

Old 06-16-2020, 02:45 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,140,696 times
I use tap water for everything. When I drink it straight or fill the animals' bowls it comes through the built in filter from my fridge but everything else is tap, including for my coffee, pasta, potatoes and brushing my teeth. My husband uses bottled water to make ramen noodles and it drives me nuts, but you pick your battles. I do most of the cooking so he's getting tap water in everything I cook. Not that I hide it from him.

Old 06-16-2020, 03:19 PM

29,175 posts, read 35,590,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I’d worry about lead content. You can get that tested. It is not safe to cook with tap water that contains high levels of lead. You can run the tap for a few minutes to mitigate the lead levels.
The source of lead in tap water is the PLUMBING - normally the fixtures are the source of lead. Easiest way to fix a lead problem is to buy a new lead-free fixture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or