U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-16-2020, 03:51 PM
 
Location: on the wind
10,743 posts, read 4,872,000 times
Reputation: 35647

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I do most of the cooking so he's getting tap water in everything I cook. Not that I hide it from him.
Reminds me of a little "fib" my mother used to tell my dad. He was extremely suspicious of any form of onion. Claimed it caused him GI upsets, but there were countless dishes he ate during his married life that contained onion with no ill effect. If he didn't know there was onion in something he wouldn't notice. If he saw onions in the kitchen or fished a slice out of something he'd pitch a fit. My mother, who had lived with his GI tract longer than just about anyone else would quietly tell him she hadn't put any onion seasoning in a dish. Even if she had, it wouldn't be much as she didn't like highly-seasoned foods either. Peace ensued, both internal and external. When my sisters and I eventually cooked some dish for him he'd make the same demand about onions. We did the same thing my mother always had with the same result. Such a shame how all of us manipulated and abused that poor man and got away with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-16-2020, 10:10 PM
 
30 posts, read 5,272 times
Reputation: 64
I'm curious just what OP read about tap water being bad for cooking!

FWIW I've never heard of using anything but tap water for cooking. The older folks in my family lived into the 90s in pretty good health. That tap water can't be so bad for you, I guess. That said, we're in NYC and our water is pretty good. I can't say the same for LI or NJ - if the water comes out of the ground, I'd be scared to drink it without putting it through a filter or two. I read this book called Toms River once, and it was hair-raising...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2020, 10:48 PM
 
Location: Kaliforneea
1,482 posts, read 1,103,560 times
Reputation: 2667
dont know the laws in your state/county, but in mine the county water dept is required by law to publish all the specs of their water sources and various threshold tests for bacteria, viruses, heavy metals, radiation, et cetera and their previous annual reports are all available backwards in time. There are detailed, boring govt reports but I believe the information to be reliable and comparible over time.


As a feature of Coronavirus-times, bottled water all literally disappeared off the shelves in my area. Your choices were drink tap water, or do without. As much as I liked the medieval fantasy of "wait! let drink wine because that is safe!" I wouldn't have been able to keep my job if I was drunk everyday.



If you lie awake at night worrying about the water that comes out your pipes, by all means get a filtration system, and learn about the pros + cons of distillation, reverse osmosis, activated carbon, ultraviolet, and ion exchange.


Fer sure if you live in a 85 or 110 year old apartment building or house, I'm sure your pipes are rusted corroded, lead soldered heavy-metal trash. Fee free to pay to have it tested.



I would post a lovely on topic link to age of apartments in NYC from renthop.com, but I fear some mod would censor my post as it looks too similar to what C-D wants to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2020, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Loudon, TN
7,113 posts, read 5,713,987 times
Reputation: 24443
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
I read that it's not good to cook with boiled tap water. So I decided not to use tap water to make instant mashed potatoes. However, I've come across a dilemma regarding cooking spaghetti. I don't know if I could use bottled water to make a pot of spaghetti because too much water is required.
Where did you read that? What water were they referring to? All across the country water comes from different sources, so my tap water is not your tap water, and your tap water is probably not the tap water of the person who wrote whatever you read. Boiling water kills the microorganisms in it rendering it safe from bacterial contamination for drinking, cooking etc. You can buy test kits at Home Depot to test your own tap water for lead, pesticides, or other contaminants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2020, 06:52 AM
 
2,499 posts, read 779,214 times
Reputation: 6681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Reminds me of a little "fib" my mother used to tell my dad. He was extremely suspicious of any form of onion. Claimed it caused him GI upsets, but there were countless dishes he ate during his married life that contained onion with no ill effect. If he didn't know there was onion in something he wouldn't notice. If he saw onions in the kitchen or fished a slice out of something he'd pitch a fit. My mother, who had lived with his GI tract longer than just about anyone else would quietly tell him she hadn't put any onion seasoning in a dish. Even if she had, it wouldn't be much as she didn't like highly-seasoned foods either. Peace ensued, both internal and external. When my sisters and I eventually cooked some dish for him he'd make the same demand about onions. We did the same thing my mother always had with the same result. Such a shame how all of us manipulated and abused that poor man and got away with it.
Unfortunately, I've heard horror stories from people this did *not* work for-- people whose friends/family members didn't believe they truly had an allergy or sensitivity, snuck the item into the dish... and the person got very sick because they were *not* lying or "being drama queens" about their problem...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2020, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
16,084 posts, read 20,819,898 times
Reputation: 26588
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
I read that it's not good to cook with boiled tap water. So I decided not to use tap water to make instant mashed potatoes. However, I've come across a dilemma regarding cooking spaghetti. I don't know if I could use bottled water to make a pot of spaghetti because too much water is required.
Inquiring minds want to know: Where the heck are you reading this? The Hindustan Times? The Uganda Daily? South African Shantytown Post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2020, 08:26 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
35,233 posts, read 45,236,432 times
Reputation: 45624
Just to throw in-any tap water from a municipal/commercial source (I'll give everyone Flint) is tested almost daily, treated-usually with a chlorine product-and is potable. There is nowhere in the US where people are becoming ill due to water borne pathogens from a central water system. Individual wells can be a different matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2020, 11:13 AM
 
Location: on the wind
10,743 posts, read 4,872,000 times
Reputation: 35647
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Unfortunately, I've heard horror stories from people this did *not* work for-- people whose friends/family members didn't believe they truly had an allergy or sensitivity, snuck the item into the dish... and the person got very sick because they were *not* lying or "being drama queens" about their problem...
Don't know what else to tell you. She did all the cooking. He died peacefully in his sleep at 87. Obviously he was being a drama queen about it. Give her some credit. They were happily married for 30+ years. If there'd actually been a problem I bet she would have noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2020, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Sierra Nevadas (California)
57,907 posts, read 4,280,768 times
Reputation: 18492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Don't know what else to tell you. She did all the cooking. He died peacefully in his sleep at 87. Obviously he was being a drama queen about it. Give her some credit. They were happily married for 30+ years. If there'd actually been a problem I bet she would have noticed.
Plus there is a huge difference between a picky eater & someone with true allergies. I would have done the same as your Mom
Many years ago, I had a family member who told me they did not like garlic. I said I am going to make a lasagna, will you come to dinner? I made the lasagna, & of course I could not imagine making it without any garlic, & after she ate, she said it was the best lasagna she ever had. l fessed up & told her I had added garlic. now she eats garlic bread & other garlic items, & loves it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2020, 07:42 PM
 
2,499 posts, read 779,214 times
Reputation: 6681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Don't know what else to tell you. She did all the cooking. He died peacefully in his sleep at 87. Obviously he was being a drama queen about it. Give her some credit. They were happily married for 30+ years. If there'd actually been a problem I bet she would have noticed.
I'm not saying your mom was a problem. I'm just saying, not everyone can assume someone is making up an allergy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Plus there is a huge difference between a picky eater & someone with true allergies. I would have done the same as your Mom
Many years ago, I had a family member who told me they did not like garlic. I said I am going to make a lasagna, will you come to dinner? I made the lasagna, & of course I could not imagine making it without any garlic, & after she ate, she said it was the best lasagna she ever had. l fessed up & told her I had added garlic. now she eats garlic bread & other garlic items, & loves it.
There's a difference between "do not like" and "cannot eat because it makes someone sick."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top