U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 09:42 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,159,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
I read that it's not good to cook with boiled tap water. So I decided not to use tap water to make instant mashed potatoes. However, I've come across a dilemma regarding cooking spaghetti. I don't know if I could use bottled water to make a pot of spaghetti because too much water is required.
FrankAce - by "bad" do you think that what you read meant that using previously boiled tap water affects the taste/aroma/etc. of the item cooked or baked with it instead of non-boiled water or that there is a risk of some kind, perhaps health-related? Or perhaps "bad" meant something else?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 10:10 PM

11,396 posts, read 22,225,531 times
My daughter can't drink tap water because of a chlorine allergy. We can still cook with tap water as long as it will be boiled, but for something that won't be cooked, we have to use bottled water. She has to brush her teeth with bottled water too. It's a very unusual allergy, and you'd probably know if you had it, so I'd assume your water is safe for you.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:19 PM

42,270 posts, read 61,078,199 times
Quote:
I read that it's not good to cook with boiled tap water.
I think you meant to say:
"I read that it's not good to use tap water for cooking."

Otherwise I don't understand your dilemma.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance
Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:37 PM

7,957 posts, read 4,481,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Reminds me of a little "fib" my mother used to tell my dad. He was extremely suspicious of any form of onion. Claimed it caused him GI upsets, but there were countless dishes he ate during his married life that contained onion with no ill effect. If he didn't know there was onion in something he wouldn't notice. If he saw onions in the kitchen or fished a slice out of something he'd pitch a fit. My mother, who had lived with his GI tract longer than just about anyone else would quietly tell him she hadn't put any onion seasoning in a dish. Even if she had, it wouldn't be much as she didn't like highly-seasoned foods either. Peace ensued, both internal and external. When my sisters and I eventually cooked some dish for him he'd make the same demand about onions. We did the same thing my mother always had with the same result. Such a shame how all of us manipulated and abused that poor man and got away with it.
My in laws were the same way. She too cut the onions up fine and didn't tell him. And if no one told him, he'd think it was great. But if he saw the onion or someone told him, he'd immediately start up about it. Pure imagination.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:39 AM

16,084 posts, read 20,819,898 times
Quote:
I read that it's not good to cook with boiled tap water. So I decided not to use tap water to make instant mashed potatoes. However, I've come across a dilemma regarding cooking spaghetti. I don't know if I could use bottled water to make a pot of spaghetti because too much water is required.
If I were the type to worry about what's in my tap water, I'd be WAY more worried about what's in those instant mashed potatoes!

Old 06-18-2020, 01:15 PM

63,206 posts, read 59,904,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG2020 View Post
I'm curious just what OP read about tap water being bad for cooking!

FWIW I've never heard of using anything but tap water for cooking. The older folks in my family lived into the 90s in pretty good health. That tap water can't be so bad for you, I guess. That said, we're in NYC and our water is pretty good. I can't say the same for LI or NJ - if the water comes out of the ground, I'd be scared to drink it without putting it through a filter or two. I read this book called Toms River once, and it was hair-raising...
LOL. You don't know what you're talking about. Do you think all the water in NJ comes from the same place statewide?

And do you think that somehow the water companies in NJ or LI or anywhere else just put the water into your house without going through the water company's filtering system the same way NYC's water from the upstate reservoirs do? NYC has water filtering plants that clean your water before it gets to you but the rest of the world doesn't?

I grew up in Bergen County. We had artesian well water. It was very good-tasting water. Well water is often the best tasting water of all.

Then I moved to where I am in Central Jersey, and down here we have water from a reservoir, just like NYC. A local reservoir, not a reservoir fifty miles away. So how is the NYC water from the reservoirs fifty miles upstate better than the water from a local reservoir? Your logic is failing me.

Toms River, as you know, since you read that book, had water issues because of a chemical plant being allowed to dump waste into the river for decades before environmental controls were put into place that put a stop to it. Toms River and its history of chemical pollution has no bearing on any of the other 565 municipalities in the state of New Jersey who get their water from various sources.

Don't know much about LI water sources, but I'm guessing that since it covers quite an area, the water sources out there may well vary as widely as do NJ's.

Old 06-18-2020, 01:41 PM

5,779 posts, read 2,547,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
The source of lead in tap water is the PLUMBING - normally the fixtures are the source of lead. Easiest way to fix a lead problem is to buy a new lead-free fixture.
How is it easy? Many people have lead service lines. If you have a service line to your house, that can cost $5-8k to fix just for the small connection into your house and even then you might have larger public lead lines along the way. At any rate, if that is not within the price range, you can always get a system in your kitchen to remove lead. Generally they recommend people who have lead lines run their water 3-5 minutes to flush the lines (with cold water), flush the toilet, or take a shower to get rid of any sediment and NEVER use any hot water from the tap for cooking.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:09 PM

16,111 posts, read 22,184,274 times
I've been using it for 30 years. I don't have a third eyeball from it

Old 06-22-2020, 09:26 PM

13,272 posts, read 6,281,560 times
I must be one of the few human beings left in this country that never buys bottled water. During the panic buying recently, I couldn't help but laugh at people desperately trying to buy bottled water by the truck load when all they had to do is walk into the kitchen and turn on the tap. I drink and cook with tap water right from my faucet. When I was a kid, I even drank water out of the garden hose when outside and thirsty. Somehow I have survived and I'm in my 60s, have no ailments and am not on any medication.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:19 AM

7,957 posts, read 4,481,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I must be one of the few human beings left in this country that never buys bottled water. During the panic buying recently, I couldn't help but laugh at people desperately trying to buy bottled water by the truck load when all they had to do is walk into the kitchen and turn on the tap. I drink and cook with tap water right from my faucet. When I was a kid, I even drank water out of the garden hose when outside and thirsty. Somehow I have survived and I'm in my 60s, have no ailments and am not on any medication.
Didn't you know, tap water contains, ugh, I can hardly say it, CHEMICALS. You know. Big words like chlorine to kill germs. And fluoride for teeth. It's a commie plot I tell you. And don't forget those horrible, terrible chemicals oxygen and hydrogen. You mix those together and you can't breath. It's almost like you're drowning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or