U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2020, 12:45 PM

63,222 posts, read 59,918,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I must be one of the few human beings left in this country that never buys bottled water. During the panic buying recently, I couldn't help but laugh at people desperately trying to buy bottled water by the truck load when all they had to do is walk into the kitchen and turn on the tap. I drink and cook with tap water right from my faucet. When I was a kid, I even drank water out of the garden hose when outside and thirsty. Somehow I have survived and I'm in my 60s, have no ailments and am not on any medication.
Nope, there's me. Only bought it sometimes when I was working. It seems like a waste of money to me, but I have not lived anywhere that had bad tap water.

People our age all drank out of the garden hose.

Like hand sanitizer, bottled water is a product sold and marketed on the basis of fear.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:10 PM

7,967 posts, read 4,483,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Nope, there's me. Only bought it sometimes when I was working. It seems like a waste of money to me, but I have not lived anywhere that had bad tap water.

People our age all drank out of the garden hose.

Like hand sanitizer, bottled water is a product sold and marketed on the basis of fear.
To be fair, I've lived a couple of places where the tap water was pretty unpalatable. Technically safe, but just about vomit inducing smell and taste due to dissolved minerals.

The place where I work does have a water safety problem. Comes from the treatment plant safe, but by the time it gets to faucet, no one trusts it. There've been multiple "Do Not Drink" orders come down because of contaminants found at the user end that aren't in the water when it leaves the treatment facility. Over the years we've found a lot of cross connects between potable water and the industrial cooling water systems.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 03:23 PM

13,273 posts, read 6,284,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
To be fair, I've lived a couple of places where the tap water was pretty unpalatable. Technically safe, but just about vomit inducing smell and taste due to dissolved minerals.

The place where I work does have a water safety problem. Comes from the treatment plant safe, but by the time it gets to faucet, no one trusts it. There've been multiple "Do Not Drink" orders come down because of contaminants found at the user end that aren't in the water when it leaves the treatment facility. Over the years we've found a lot of cross connects between potable water and the industrial cooling water systems.
Of course there is always the exception. I live in SoCal currently and water is highly regulated and there are many water districts. They all have to meet high standards here or they would be shut down quickly.

I witnessed people in water buying frenzies at the grocery stores, Walmart and Costco. It only took a few days if not hours for all the bottled water to disappear. People were acting like they were going to die without bottled water even though the tap water here is just as good if not better than some of the bottled water out there.

Old 06-23-2020, 04:34 PM

21,860 posts, read 20,978,717 times
I mostly drink water from the tap but once I lived in a town that had to close down two of their town wells due to very high levels of some chemical. I felt safe using the water until the town got an exception made that allowed them to use the contaminated water until they could build a new water treatment plant.

During those years I used a water filtration system. It looked like a scuba tank and you could buy one to sit on the counter or to put under the sink. I think a plumber had to come and set it up, initially, but I don't quite remember. We would have to go out and buy replacement filters every few months. The filters were made of carbon.

But most of the time the tap water is safe enough. It's not perfect like an artesian (deep) well or some perfect water that comes from a pristine stream (those hardly exist anymore anyway) but it has to pass tests and you will be notified if it fails one of the tests. (Unless you have a private well--then you are on your own!)

Municipal water is usually safe because of being tested. It's your own private well water that can be a problem. There is no one to test it but you--and there is a multitude of chemicals that need to be tested for. One family usually can't afford to pay for each individual chemical to be tested so that's where the dangers come in. There might be lead or something else that had leached into the well over the years, especially if you live in an area where there used to be a lot of manufacturing. There are acceptable levels for chemicals. But an "innocent" sounding substance can be harmful when the levels exceed the standards.

Your local health department can assist in selecting tests important for assessing your drinking water. Include tests for coliform bacteria, nitrates, pH, sodium, chloride, fluoride, sulphate, iron, manganese, total dissolved solids, and hardness.

https://www.groundwater.org/get-info...and%20hardness.

If you want to find out what's in your water, just type in something like "(name of your town) water supply." You'll usually see that it's safe to drink.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:27 PM

28,000 posts, read 26,679,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

I've been in a few places where the tap water smelled or tasted so bad that I couldn't drink it. Those people were buying water.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:25 AM

5,784 posts, read 2,549,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I mostly drink water from the tap but once I lived in a town that had to close down two of their town wells due to very high levels of some chemical. I felt safe using the water until the town got an exception made that allowed them to use the contaminated water until they could build a new water treatment plant.

During those years I used a water filtration system. It looked like a scuba tank and you could buy one to sit on the counter or to put under the sink. I think a plumber had to come and set it up, initially, but I don't quite remember. We would have to go out and buy replacement filters every few months. The filters were made of carbon.

But most of the time the tap water is safe enough. It's not perfect like an artesian (deep) well or some perfect water that comes from a pristine stream (those hardly exist anymore anyway) but it has to pass tests and you will be notified if it fails one of the tests. (Unless you have a private well--then you are on your own!)

Municipal water is usually safe because of being tested. It's your own private well water that can be a problem. There is no one to test it but you--and there is a multitude of chemicals that need to be tested for. One family usually can't afford to pay for each individual chemical to be tested so that's where the dangers come in. There might be lead or something else that had leached into the well over the years, especially if you live in an area where there used to be a lot of manufacturing. There are acceptable levels for chemicals. But an "innocent" sounding substance can be harmful when the levels exceed the standards.

Your local health department can assist in selecting tests important for assessing your drinking water. Include tests for coliform bacteria, nitrates, pH, sodium, chloride, fluoride, sulphate, iron, manganese, total dissolved solids, and hardness.

https://www.groundwater.org/get-info...and%20hardness.

If you want to find out what's in your water, just type in something like "(name of your town) water supply." You'll usually see that it's safe to drink.
It depends on the area. In Florida they had a huge phosphate mine sinkhole open up into the Floridan aquifer and leaked radioactive contaminants into it for probably about a month before anyone was told. That aquifer serves multiple states.

In my parents neighborhood, the water that comes out of the kitchen taps smells awful.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:57 AM

18,606 posts, read 13,949,901 times
If you think tap water is just fine - I say for 3 weeks drink spring or bottled water.
Then drink some ice water in your city at a restaurant - ick - you will taste so much chlorine!

Spaghetti - tap water
Soups - bottled
Org coffee- bottled

25 cents a gallon here at the Health Food Store, refill.
I haven't boiled veggies since the early 70s - I steam everything to keep the water soluble vitamins
in them...
otherwise the vitamins go down the sink!

I don't buy food in boxes...tho, fake mashed potatoes are truly yummy, I know!

My liver and kidneys have enough work to take care of, this is the least I can do for them...
I may have another 20-25 yrs left - I don't want problems with them!!!!!

Instant potatoes -example:
"IDAHO® POTATOES WITH EMULSIFIER (MONOGLYCERIDES) AND PRESERVATIVE
(SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, SODIUM BISULFITE, CITRIC ACID, MIXED TOCOPHEROLS)." - not for me!

? - Minerals in tap water - Does anyone know if boiling off water in stainless steel
would be an indicator of the minerals,
cuz you can see the 'white cloud' left on the sides?

Old 06-24-2020, 06:32 AM

63,222 posts, read 59,918,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've been in a few places where the tap water smelled or tasted so bad that I couldn't drink it. Those people were buying water.
I was at a restaurant in Florida once where they put water on the table and it smelled like sewage. I would buy water if I lived there!

Old 06-24-2020, 06:34 AM

13,273 posts, read 6,284,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
If you think tap water is just fine - I say for 3 weeks drink spring or bottled water.
Then drink some ice water in your city at a restaurant - ick - you will taste so much chlorine!

Spaghetti - tap water
Soups - bottled
Org coffee- bottled

25 cents a gallon here at the Health Food Store, refill.
I haven't boiled veggies since the early 70s - I steam everything to keep the water soluble vitamins
in them...
otherwise the vitamins go down the sink!

I don't buy food in boxes...tho, fake mashed potatoes are truly yummy, I know!

My liver and kidneys have enough work to take care of, this is the least I can do for them...
I may have another 20-25 yrs left - I don't want problems with them!!!!!

Instant potatoes -example:
"IDAHO® POTATOES WITH EMULSIFIER (MONOGLYCERIDES) AND PRESERVATIVE
(SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, SODIUM BISULFITE, CITRIC ACID, MIXED TOCOPHEROLS)." - not for me!

? - Minerals in tap water - Does anyone know if boiling off water in stainless steel
would be an indicator of the minerals,
cuz you can see the 'white cloud' left on the sides?
Minerals in water are usually good for you. These are minerals your body needs such as magnesium and calcium. Of course you don't want your water to have minerals that are unhealthy such as lead. We don't drink distilled water for a reason.
Essential Minerals found in Drinking water - Water Purifiers Experts

Old 06-24-2020, 09:59 PM

28,000 posts, read 26,679,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was at a restaurant in Florida once where they put water on the table and it smelled like sewage. I would buy water if I lived there!
My husbands's college friend who lived in Tampa didn't drink the water. It didn't smell bad, but tasted and looked terrible. That water destroyed his dishwasher. They, he and his wife, always drank bottled water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or