U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM

3,409 posts, read 1,380,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Maybe ask if you can buy a container of it, at the restaurant.
It's not on the menu so I don't think it's for sale except along with the baby back ribs. Anyway thanks everyone for their answers, I ordered a variety pack (4 flavors) of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce on Amazon and will report back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:33 AM

24,648 posts, read 32,276,528 times
The recipe looks like a pretty standard BBQ sauce. A lot of the good sauces contain tamarind, and that one doesn't, so you might see if adding a bit of tamarind improves it.

My family likes the original Sweet Baby Ray's just as much as anything I make from scratch, so that is what I use.

A great big restaurant secret: Years ago, a food editor was trying to figure out the recipe for the sauce that all the good barbecue rib restaurants were using. So what she did was to dig around in their garbage to find the ingredients and what she found was big bottles of ordinary commercial barbecue sauce.

The process of cooking the ribs is what makes them good, not some magic sauce. Their sauce might not be anything too special. Maybe it is the smoker.

Old Today, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The recipe looks like a pretty standard BBQ sauce. A lot of the good sauces contain tamarind, and that one doesn't, so you might see if adding a bit of tamarind improves it.

My family likes the original Sweet Baby Ray's just as much as anything I make from scratch, so that is what I use.

A great big restaurant secret: Years ago, a food editor was trying to figure out the recipe for the sauce that all the good barbecue rib restaurants were using. So what she did was to dig around in their garbage to find the ingredients and what she found was big bottles of ordinary commercial barbecue sauce.

The process of cooking the ribs is what makes them good, not some magic sauce. Their sauce might not be anything too special. Maybe it is the smoker.

Old Today, 12:27 PM

16,416 posts, read 10,598,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I know, but I eat lots of sugar to keep my weight normal.
There's nothing healthy about sugar it is as bad as drinking alcohol. Weight gain is the least of your worries with sugar. It's the insulin sensitivity problem that causes diabetes in the long term if sugar is consumed in abundance. Sugar can cause your immune system to weaken especially if you are infected with a virus. Sugar is the preferred source of energy for viruses too.

Old Today, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
There's nothing healthy about sugar it is as bad as drinking alcohol. Weight gain is the least of your worries with sugar. It's the insulin sensitivity problem that causes diabetes in the long term if sugar is consumed in abundance. Sugar can cause your immune system to weaken especially if you are infected with a virus. Sugar is the preferred source of energy for viruses too.
I've got cancer and can easily lose 3-4 pounds a week without high caloric intake. Cancer didn't scare me, but losing 30 lbs in a couple of months scared the hell out of me. I did the math, and I didn't have that many months left at that rate. Plus my appetite is limited so I needed high caloric content with small quantities. Sugar and fatty foods like full dairy, cakes, ice cream, chocolate, sausage, etc. filled the bill and stabilized my weight over the past 4 years. I haven't varied by more than two pounds plus or minus in 4 years. I weigh myself in the morning, if I am a little low I had calories, if a little high I reduce calories for the day, which is by adding or subtracting desserts. I asked my oncologist about the connection with sugar and cancer. He told me that all carbs are converted to glucose before they are absorbed into all cells, healthy and cancer cells alike, so sugar was not a problem. The interesting thing is the cancer dropped my cholesterol from 200 to 100. My good cholesterol is less than 20, the lowest my GP has ever seen. I've been pre-diabetic for decades, not high enough for treatment, but the additional sugar didn't change that. I'm 73.

Last edited by bobspez; Today at 12:53 PM..

Old Today, 01:17 PM

17,799 posts, read 22,290,887 times
There are 2 brands i like, Sweet baby rays and a brand called Rib rack sauce. I like the rib rack sauce brand the best. Maybe you could take that and doctor it up extra for what ever you are using it for. Rib rack sauce is more like homemade to me.

Old Today, 01:40 PM

1,739 posts, read 567,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
We should stop selectively demonizing some food groups - it is just obsessively silly.

Sugar (the glucose part) is excellent food for your brain- memory, mood, etc.!
People's situations are different.
Everything is in moderation and the variety of different food is important.

Kale and carrots can kill you too...look it up! Any vegetable, any other food can for that matter...

Old Today, 02:36 PM

57,752 posts, read 4,266,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
It's not on the menu so I don't think it's for sale except along with the baby back ribs. Anyway thanks everyone for their answers, I ordered a variety pack (4 flavors) of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce on Amazon and will report back.

Well it wouldn't hurt to ask, I used to go to lunch with a couple of ladies & they would always buy a container of ranch dressing to take home, it wasn't on the menu either, but the waitress would give them a container of it, for a price.

Old Today, 02:49 PM

Thanks. I ordered the Sweet Baby Rays and put the Rib Rack Sauce on my wish list for when the Baby Rays is finished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
There are 2 brands i like, Sweet baby rays and a brand called Rib rack sauce. I like the rib rack sauce brand the best. Maybe you could take that and doctor it up extra for what ever you are using it for. Rib rack sauce is more like homemade to me.

Old Today, 02:50 PM

Thanks, but I don't go to LongHorn more than a few times a year. I wanted a source I could order any time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Well it wouldn't hurt to ask, I used to go to lunch with a couple of ladies & they would always buy a container of ranch dressing to take home, it wasn't on the menu either, but the waitress would give them a container of it, for a price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or