U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What kind of grated cheese do you prefer
Pecorino Romano 14 40.00%
Parmesan 17 48.57%
Grana Padano 3 8.57%
Parmigiana Reggiano 13 37.14%
I don't like grated cheese 1 2.86%
I use the stuff in the jar that you shake on pasta 3 8.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 04:07 PM

4,123 posts, read 6,058,938 times

Advertisements

Parmigiano-Reggiano is my usual. You just can't beat its complexity. However, I'll use Pecorino-Romano on certain dishes for added sharpness or Grana Padano, if I want something a little milder. They all have their place.

The "green can" tastes like salty wax - I never touch it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 04:52 PM

58,066 posts, read 4,298,047 times
I buy the shaved Parm at Costco, it is also good in a salad, nice large shavings.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:08 PM

17,851 posts, read 22,322,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Can you explain the difference between the Parmigiano Reggiano and the parmesan? We only use Parmigiano Reggiano and a lot more grated cheeses than what is in the poll. Why only Italian cheeses?

We buy a 1/8 wheel of Parmigiano R., divide it into wedges and vacuum seal the extra wedges, keeping them in one of the fridges. We also buy large pieces of gruyere and do the same.
I was merely thinking of cheese you sprinkle on pasta I guess. I never thought of some of the other cheese mentioned like cheddar and Swiss. Anyway the Romano cheese that I bought was horrible. Very bland and did not have that sharp tang that pecorino does. My husband liked it but I did not think it was worth $9.99 a pound. It reminded me of the Kraft in the can. Next time I go shopping I'll stick to the locatelli brand of pecorino. BTW the parmigano Reggiano was $17.99 a pound there.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:09 AM

1,439 posts, read 1,456,120 times
I always have a wedge of Parmesan on hand for the Italian dishes I prepare.

I believe firmly in MAGA - Make America Grate Again.

Old 06-25-2020, 04:41 AM

1,720 posts, read 496,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I was merely thinking of cheese you sprinkle on pasta I guess. I never thought of some of the other cheese mentioned like cheddar and Swiss. Anyway the Romano cheese that I bought was horrible. Very bland and did not have that sharp tang that pecorino does. My husband liked it but I did not think it was worth $9.99 a pound. It reminded me of the Kraft in the can. Next time I go shopping I'll stick to the locatelli brand of pecorino. BTW the parmigano Reggiano was $17.99 a pound there.

No,no not the dreaded green can. When I buy a 1/8 wheel, the cost is around $9.50 a pound, but the 1/8 weighs around 10 pounds.

Old 06-25-2020, 04:53 AM

1,720 posts, read 496,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post

If Parmigiano-Reggiano is champagne, then Parmesan would be sparkling wine. Parmesan is produced with techniques inspired by Parmigiano-Reggiano but Parmesan can’t call itself Parmigiano-Reggiano because it is not from the designated Emilia-Romagna region of Italy and may not follow the Consorzio Del Formaggio Parmigiano-Reggiano’s production requirements.

Parmigiano-Reggiano is best if grating cheeses in my onion, grated as needed with a microplane.

Once in a while you take a break and get Pecorino Romano or Grana Padano

these hard cheese freeze will in a glass jar and you can grate them directly from the freezer

(works well with ginger also)

grated cheese is also good on steamed or baked potato slices with cracked black pepper.

Cut off a piece of Parmesan, microwave for 35 seconds. It sticks to the plate but peels easily with a butter knife
Anything called parmesan that isn't parmigiano reggiano has no rating in my opinion. Pecorino, being a sheep's milk cheese, is preferred in certain dishes.

Old 06-25-2020, 05:53 AM

75,940 posts, read 88,823,901 times
I prefer using a mixture of grated cheeses but when I don't grate my own, I buy a jar from Sam's, usually a Parmesan/ Romano mix.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:49 AM

3,265 posts, read 1,540,695 times
I don't understand how shelf-stable grated cheese doesn't get moldy. As I use it very seldom, I buy a chunk, not fussy as to type, grate it and store it in a jar in the freezer.

Sometimes I put shredded mozza on my pasta dishes, just because it is in the fridge and I want to use it up.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:30 AM

5,133 posts, read 2,249,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post

If Parmigiano-Reggiano is champagne, then Parmesan would be sparkling wine. Parmesan is produced with techniques inspired by Parmigiano-Reggiano but Parmesan can’t call itself Parmigiano-Reggiano because it is not from the designated Emilia-Romagna region of Italy and may not follow the Consorzio Del Formaggio Parmigiano-Reggiano’s production requirements.

Parmigiano-Reggiano is best if grating cheeses in my onion, grated as needed with a microplane.

Once in a while you take a break and get Pecorino Romano or Grana Padano

these hard cheese freeze will in a glass jar and you can grate them directly from the freezer

(works well with ginger also)

grated cheese is also good on steamed or baked potato slices with cracked black pepper.

Cut off a piece of Parmesan, microwave for 35 seconds. It sticks to the plate but peels easily with a butter knife
Oh, oh, oh...those are to die for. One of my favorite taste treats in the world.

I like them all, but Reggiano is my favorite. But I can't get any of them where we retired. Cheese desert Not even the icky green can I grew up with.

The microplane really helps in grating.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:43 PM

60,154 posts, read 43,706,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Parmigiano-Reggiano is my usual. You just can't beat its complexity. However, I'll use Pecorino-Romano on certain dishes for added sharpness or Grana Padano, if I want something a little milder. They all have their place.

The "green can" tastes like salty wax
- I never touch it.

And, has the additional 'goodness' of cellulose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink