U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What kind of grated cheese do you prefer
Pecorino Romano 14 40.00%
Parmesan 17 48.57%
Grana Padano 3 8.57%
Parmigiana Reggiano 13 37.14%
I don't like grated cheese 1 2.86%
I use the stuff in the jar that you shake on pasta 3 8.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 12:45 PM

60,154 posts, read 43,706,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
[/b]
No,no not the dreaded green can. When I buy a 1/8 wheel, the cost is around $9.50 a pound, but the 1/8 weighs around 10 pounds.

$$$ well spent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 12:47 PM

60,154 posts, read 43,706,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
[/b]
No,no not the dreaded green can. When I buy a 1/8 wheel, the cost is around $9.50 a pound, but the 1/8 weighs around 10 pounds.

80 pounds sounds about right for the wheel I saw at a food show in NYC one time. They were breaking out chunks and serving them with a little balsamic. I made a few laps through that booth.

Old 06-26-2020, 07:51 AM

16,110 posts, read 22,197,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman View Post
i always have a wedge of parmesan on hand for the italian dishes i prepare.

I believe firmly in maga - make america grate again.
lol

Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM

3,053 posts, read 2,072,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post

If Parmigiano-Reggiano is champagne, then Parmesan would be sparkling wine. Parmesan is produced with techniques inspired by Parmigiano-Reggiano but Parmesan can’t call itself Parmigiano-Reggiano because it is not from the designated Emilia-Romagna region of Italy and may not follow the Consorzio Del Formaggio Parmigiano-Reggiano’s production requirements.

Parmigiano-Reggiano is best if grating cheeses in my onion, grated as needed with a microplane.

Once in a while you take a break and get Pecorino Romano or Grana Padano

these hard cheese freeze will in a glass jar and you can grate them directly from the freezer

(works well with ginger also)

grated cheese is also good on steamed or baked potato slices with cracked black pepper.

Cut off a piece of Parmesan, microwave for 35 seconds. It sticks to the plate but peels easily with a butter knife
I quit buying parmigiana-reggiano or Parmesan wedges to grate, they weren’t holding up well in the refrigerator. I wasn’t using them up soon enough. They became hard and oily. The freezer will be perfect. I wish I had read the tip for freezing ginger earlier this week. Oh well, next time.

I’ve been buying good grated cheeses in the cheese section, but they inevitably get spots of green mold. Once the plastic film is off and it’s open to the air for any amount of time, it needs to be used up in a short time. It will be good to go back to grating cheese as needed again. Thanks for the freezer tip!

Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM

28,013 posts, read 26,691,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I quit buying parmigiana-reggiano or Parmesan wedges to grate, they weren’t holding up well in the refrigerator. I wasn’t using them up soon enough. They became hard and oily. The freezer will be perfect. I wish I had read the tip for freezing ginger earlier this week. Oh well, next time.

I’ve been buying good grated cheeses in the cheese section, but they inevitably get spots of green mold. Once the plastic film is off and it’s open to the air for any amount of time, it needs to be used up in a short time. It will be good to go back to grating cheese as needed again. Thanks for the freezer tip!
When I've bought grated cheese in the tub, once it's open I store it in the freezer. I put it in either a freezer bag or a regular in a container.

Old Today, 01:38 PM

3,053 posts, read 2,072,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
When I've bought grated cheese in the tub, once it's open I store it in the freezer. I put it in either a freezer bag or a regular in a container.
Another great suggestion, I don’t know why I haven’t thought of freezing cheese, I freeze butter. Thank you!

Old Today, 06:07 PM

16,139 posts, read 19,093,006 times
I usually use Parmagiano-Reggiano, but on a whim bought a wedge of Wisconsin made Parmesan (branded Private Selection, Kroger's premium store brand), and was pleasantly surprised.

It definitely tastes different than the real deal, maybe a bit more bold or forward and a bit less subtle, but a piqaunt, nutty flavor that stands up very well to strongly acidic tomato sauce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink