U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM

1,466 posts, read 430,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
WE've never been sick from lettuce. You need to find another source.
Anecdote does not equal data.

Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM

8,302 posts, read 4,665,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
a lot of factors play into this

there's a huge tracking system now. Where before cases in disparate regions wouldn't be tied together, now the distribution systems can track the lettuces back to the field they were grown

Because of the mono-culture and huge growing fields, any contamination in the water supply used to irrigate the fields affects the whole field

lettuces cannot be machine harvested, so human workers paid by the pound (not by the hour) don't leave the fields for bathroom breaks, which gets into that water supply

It's very easy to grow your own lettuce, though. Get a bag of potting soil and some seeds, punch a few drainage holes on on side of the potting soil bag, flip it over and cut a large rectangle out of the top (not all the way to the sides, it will act like a big lasagna pan of dirt) and plant your seeds. After about 3 weeks, you can cut the lettuce and it will come back a couple of times before it has to be completely pulled and replanted. Get 3-4 bags and stagger your plantings and you can have salads every night
That sounds complicated. How long does all that growing & cutting and replanting take? I've never heard you have to plant, then "cut" it, let it come back a couple of times, then pull & replant it.

By "stagger," you mean plant them at different times, so they ripen at different times?

Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM

8,302 posts, read 4,665,635 times
I never buy bagged lettuces/salads. I buy only whole heads, or sometimes the containers of mixed lettuces ("organic 3-lettuce" or such).

I've never gotten sick from lettuce, but maybe I've been lucky.

It's not just lettuce. There have been illnesses & deaths from all sorts of foods in recent years.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that there are so many more people, so there's more food being produced, and more that is being large-scalle commercially grown & distributed. And companies are continually cutting costs more & more, to hold down consumer costs for competition. Workers may cut corners in safety rules to meet management's production quotas and such.

I wonder if having to compete with cheaper imported food is involved. Maybe not. I'm sure the companies could tell us.

Old Today, 12:28 AM

849 posts, read 248,019 times
I also only buy whole heads of lettuce. 99 cents each. Probably cheaper in other states.

I would never buy bagged salads. Have to wash it all anyway. You get more from a whole head.

And OP, iceberg lettuce isn't the greatest source of nutrition anyway, so why not eat some other vegetables? That way, you won't have to worry about lettuce contamination.

Old Today, 01:42 AM

1,427 posts, read 757,159 times
Yeah, I'm not a fan of iceberg or romaine....I prefer spring mixes. But they weren't available, so I bought the other stuff.

Frankly, I rather nuke frozen spinach than wash/chop lettuces.

Old Today, 04:15 AM

4,311 posts, read 5,206,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
That sounds complicated. How long does all that growing & cutting and replanting take? I've never heard you have to plant, then "cut" it, let it come back a couple of times, then pull & replant it.

By "stagger," you mean plant them at different times, so they ripen at different times?
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. This way you have enough for several salads per week for a solo diner or family of two.

picture: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/25/56...e436569093.png

Last edited by weezycom; Today at 04:18 AM.. Reason: added info

Old Today, 05:47 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,723,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
lettuces cannot be machine harvested, so human workers paid by the pound (not by the hour) don't leave the fields for bathroom breaks, which gets into that water supply

t
I believe the question has been answered above.

Old Today, 05:52 AM

17,851 posts, read 22,322,498 times
I buy romaine lettuce and have not had a problem so far.

Old Today, 10:48 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,282,336 times
And give all veggies a vinegar/water bath. Don't need that expensive over-the-counter stuff to sanitize your veggies.

Old Today, 11:02 AM

1,689 posts, read 631,528 times
Lettuce especially those bags have been dodgy for a long time. Nothing new here. Well I guess it depends on your definition of 'new' - it may have been different in the time prior to the 90s as I don't really recall that time, but since then it's been pretty similar.

The simple reality is that a lot of farm products that need to be handled are contaminated with human fecal matter as those workers either cannot or will not abide by hygiene rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or