Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 11:11 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,225,572 times

Advertisements

Dang, I haven't had a Fresca in 30 years and now I'm craving it.

Crazy4Chickens, have you tried Caffeine Free Diet Coke? It's not everywhere, but it's pretty widely available. I have to drive to the rich side of town to get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 12:23 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Former coca cola-holic here. I cut the dependency about 20 years ago when I crossed to the diet side and cut way, way back. I couldn't stand the taste of diet coke, but found Fresca refreshing and drink maybe 2 cans a day. It's also excellent in a wine sprites.

I have noticed availability issues, but this weekend not one 12 pack was to be found. (Cans make portion control easier). A couple of 2 liter bottles made theiir way to my basket, but I think I found the last few bottles in the DC area. Some quick research shows it is true (I know, first world problems, right?) https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...ng-11587485152

And similar in Forbes and Chicago S-T.

So, 2 questions, what is close to Fresca? (if you say Sprite, you don't understand the appeal of Fresca (sar)

Second question, what minor (yes, i confess, this is a minor) food/beverage shortage inconvenience have you suffered due to CV19?

The grocery store was out of jalapeno peppers. I use jalapeno peppers on sandwiches & such. But they're not an overly popular item, so I was surprised to find them sold out! Jalapeno peppers?

They were sold out of frozen chicken breasts one time. That's a staple meat for me, so inconvenient.

I like Fresca fine. I used to drink one occasionally but haven't in years. I drink mainly homemade cold green tea these days. The thing about Fresca is....it's like a grapefruity flavor? Not really grapefruity, but reminds me of that. Not as sweet as some other soft drinks. Tart. You're right - Sprite isn't like Fresca at all, except they're both clear. Sprite is very smooth and sweet. Sprite's good, too. I'm talking about the diet versions. I gave up sugared beverages decades ago. (If I'm going to consume sugar, I'm going for CANDY!)

Old 07-04-2020, 05:53 AM

50,364 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Have you tried Mountain Dew Zero, or Coke Zero? So much better than regular diet.

Old 07-04-2020, 06:02 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
https://www.bonappetit.com/drinks/no...oda-taste-test -

Here is an interesting older article I found from Bon Appetit. I haven’t tried any of them other than the Spindrift, which I like a lot and is expensive. The price is not bad if you get the mega pack from Costco, but you have to get two other flavors (lemon and one other, which are both good too). I am not sure where to find 2 of the other favorites, and the Whole Foods one is pretty obviously at Whole Foods, if they still make it.

Old 07-04-2020, 07:18 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Actually, I've been looking for Fresca for literally weeks. Nada. (Goes great with rum or vodka.)

Closest relative would be diet Squirt which is a Pepsi product, I think. It doesn't taste quite the same - nor do diet coke vs. Diet Pepsi, IMHO.

ETA: in my quest to find this stuff, I found this article from the Chicago Times printed just 3 days ago.

Direct inquiry to Coke resulted in this response:

There's a long thread in reddit about it, too. Been running for 2+ months. /soda

My vodka and rum will be getting diet Sprite for awhile.
I corresponded with Neil Steinburg @CST in my early search. From the sound of it, in numbers, we have enough to overthrow the Coke board, LOL. It's been ages, but I recall from one of my more frugal phases (you know, like January 3rd) I found the Wegman's grapefruit soda was an acceptable substitute. That was so long ago, I don't know if they still make it. Hmm, time to check Instacart (too hot to go out, especially in mask).

Old 07-04-2020, 07:54 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,200 times
Quote:
Former coca cola-holic here. I cut the dependency about 20 years ago when I crossed to the diet side and cut way, way back. I couldn't stand the taste of diet coke, but found Fresca refreshing and drink maybe 2 cans a day. It's also excellent in a wine sprites.

I have noticed availability issues, but this weekend not one 12 pack was to be found. (Cans make portion control easier). A couple of 2 liter bottles made theiir way to my basket, but I think I found the last few bottles in the DC area. Some quick research shows it is true (I know, first world problems, right?) https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...ng-11587485152

So, 2 questions, what is close to Fresca? (if you say Sprite, you don't understand the appeal of Fresca (sar)

Second question, what minor (yes, i confess, this is a minor) food/beverage shortage inconvenience have you suffered due to CV19?
Homemade Fresca Recipe - Gym Free Fitness

I can't vouch for the taste because I don't drink any soda at all.

Old 07-04-2020, 09:15 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
[/b][/b]

The grocery store was out of jalapeno peppers. I use jalapeno peppers on sandwiches & such. But they're not an overly popular item, so I was surprised to find them sold out! Jalapeno peppers?

They were sold out of frozen chicken breasts one time. That's a staple meat for me, so inconvenient.

I like Fresca fine. I used to drink one occasionally but haven't in years. I drink mainly homemade cold green tea these days. The thing about Fresca is....it's like a grapefruity flavor? Not really grapefruity, but reminds me of that. Not as sweet as some other soft drinks. Tart. You're right - Sprite isn't like Fresca at all, except they're both clear. Sprite is very smooth and sweet. Sprite's good, too. I'm talking about the diet versions. I gave up sugared beverages decades ago. (If I'm going to consume sugar, I'm going for CANDY!)
My local stores have been out of Bertolli Four Cheese Rosa sauce for months now, and I'm concerned it might be gone permanently. I ordered some Knorr Parma Rosa sauce packets to substitute for it while the Bertolli is unavailable.

Also, boneless chicken thighs have been in short supply in our area although we were luckily able to get some.

As for Diet Squirt, I was able to get a box a few weeks ago. I haven't checked more recently.

Old 07-04-2020, 09:56 AM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Quote:

I can relate. I can't stand the syrupy-sweetness of Coke and Diet Coke, and the only sodas I drink are Fresca and Tab, both Coca-Cola products. Neither is to be found anywhere at present, nor are there any close substitutes. I've been drinking grapefruit juice or iced tea.

Old 07-04-2020, 10:44 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,231 times
I like seven up and I find Sierra Mist to be very close. Sprite and the others are too sweet for my tastes.

Old 07-04-2020, 12:09 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
I like seven up and I find Sierra Mist to be very close. Sprite and the others are too sweet for my tastes.
That's odd, I find Sierra Mist to be closer to Sprite than 7 Up, although it is somewhat of a middle ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink