Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 06:03 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times

Advertisements

Had soup last night..........garlic, ginger and serrano-peppers, chicken-breast, YUM.

But, yeah, my wimpy stomach was feeling it last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 08:58 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
I LOVE spicy foods, but I don't like what they do to me afterward

Whenever I am at a Thai restaurant, I always have them prepare my meals "Thai hot."

Old 07-26-2020, 09:31 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,372,221 times
I LIKE spicy, but lately I've been backing away from it. I do occasionally get hiccups from extremely spicy food too!

A couple months ago, a friend of mine who is half Mexican was teasing me about eating food spicier than she did. We were at my favorite Indian place, and she tried my dish and thought I was crazy.

TBH, while I definitely enjoy mild heat, too much is kind of exhausting and interferes with my satisfaction from the meal. I can tolerate a lot of heat, but it's not always my favorite.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:32 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

For some reason, it has no effect on my digestive system at all.
It sounds like you have never maxed out your heat tolerance! I find that it is a surprise when it happens. There seems to be no initial warning signs for my body on when it will suck on the way out.

The first time it happened to me, I went our fox Mexican, and I had a cocktail with habaneros, habernero salsa on my tacos, and some sort of chocolate-chili dessert. All felt fine during the meal, a pleasant heat. But the next morning it was horrible.

It was weird as I have had habanero salsas and hot sauces plenty of times in the past with no problems. But that time it did not agree with me.

This happened to me one more time on a trip, and whatever I ate did not seem to hot on the way in. But that time it wasn't as terrible.

Most of the time I don't have issues at all. But maybe my system has an upper limit on the number of spicy courses. Who knows.

Old 07-28-2020, 01:58 PM

675 posts, read 644,926 times
To a degree, but not at the exclusion of taste. And not all the time. I love Tabasco on cheese toast, for instance. It has a kick, but is based on vinegar. I also love peanut sauce on fries. The sauce I make uses peanut butter, sri racha, and soy sauce.

From the candy aisle, I have enjoyed Sweet Heat Skittles. I, like others on this thread, don't like heat just for its own sake. The flavor profile has to be good, and the heat cannot dominate. I don't like companies trying to set records with this kind of stuff. Same with sour foods (especially candies). Some of those can really damage the tongue *feels like there must be a thread for that already*

Old 07-31-2020, 08:46 PM

213 posts, read 131,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueguy58 View Post
For someone who has a low tolerance for heat do you think trying the fire noodles would be fine? not the very spicy ones the 1 times spice I know they have 5 to 10 times or so just the basic I keep hearing they have good flavor.

I like the Samyang Ramen noodles i've tried difference flavors just not the fire ones.
As someone who has moderate heat tolerance, I think it's best to avoid the spiciest of the Samyang noodles. I've had them and ohmygod does that sting linger. I had to water it down it was that bad.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:48 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
I like spicy foods but my body cannot handle it. I don't know if there's a correlation between spice tolerance and age but nowadays if I eat something spicy I'll pay for it dearly later.

Few days ago I tried out an Indian spice mix I got from Amazon. Two tablespoons in garbanzo beans. After eating it, my stomach was doing flips and I had to use the restroom multiple times.

Old 08-01-2020, 05:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
The spice does not bother me except if it is so hot my mouth is on fire or sometimes the next day I remember what I had the night before. Today, when we can our salsa I get excited because it is very hot but also very tasty. Took us years to get it right

Old 08-01-2020, 06:16 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
We both like hot foods, not necessarily spicy which too many times are overly garlicky and salty. When given a choice on heat at restaurants, I choose medium and then usually go hot the next time.

Years ago we were eating a habanero salsa and stopped when we realized we weren’t enjoying it. It was painful. We’ve had habaneros and hotter since, it was that one particular brand that was inedible.

I grow small Thai red peppers and we use them often, fresh or dried. Neither of us is affected later by hot foods at this point, so we still enjoy them.

Old 08-02-2020, 07:02 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
I've always liked spicy foods, but never tested myself on how hot I could go. I developed a respiratory condition (allergic asthma) 3 yrs ago, so I have to watch out these days.

The hottest I can go is a little to some Ghost Pepper sauce sprinkled on foods. (I'm definitely not talking about chewing it up plain whatsoever.)

The Serrano Pepper is the one I like to chop up in certain dishes for a nice zest!
Attached Thumbnails
Do you enjoy spicy foods?-scoville-pepper-scale.jpg  

Last edited by Forever Blue; 08-02-2020 at 07:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink