Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your fave curry?
Indian 33 37.08%
Jamaican 8 8.99%
Thai 31 34.83%
Japanese 3 3.37%
Other, I'll post in the thread 14 15.73%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 10:12 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Tonight's dinner is chicken curry, and as I have gotten more exposure to different cuisines, I have come to realize there are so many different types!

So I want to know - what is your fave type?

I am going to stick with what I think are the most common styles, but there are so many more.

Growing up we always had more of a Jamaican take - using curry powder, dry spices, and the "sauce" would be little more than the drippings from the cooking, some tomato, and maybe a roux to thicken. My mom learned her recipe from a Caribbean friend.

When I went to Indian places, I found that most "curries" were a creamy base: yogurt, cream, or coconut milk. and the spice mix was different. Also more whole spices. These felt heavier than what I had growing up.

When I had Thai curries, they are made from a paste - the color comes from the ingredients, and the pastes have so many fresh herbs and other ingredients. Also the Thai curries seem to have way more veggies.

Then eventually I had Japanese curry. And this was way different. It seems there is a curry sauce, and it is sweet. And it is just served with whatever. The "meat" or base isn't cooked in the sauce, but topped with sauce. There are also more veggies.

Now when I make curry, I typically land with something between Indian and Jamaican. Some days I add coconut milk, some days I don't. Depends on my mood. Or if I added too many peppers. I also make Thai curries occasionally. I have made my own curry paste in the past, but I like the per-made pastes too. It is so much quicker than doing the braise way. I'll also use the paste in other ways, like in a meatball!

So what's your curry of choice?
Thai any day. That bamboo and lemongrass flavors are mesmerising.

Regarding Japanese - It was served on Air China business class- it was called Konjee or something, but the spices and flavoring gave along with it was very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 10:42 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
I have never has curry and not sure if I would like it.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:53 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I have never has curry and not sure if I would like it.
"Curry" is just a collection of spices/herbs and a sauce! Usually served with meat. And in most renditions the meat is cooked in the sauce.

The way we had it growing up was basically like this:
brown some meat, remove it from the pan to cook some onions, add curry powder spice blend and cayenne pepper. Add ginger/garlic. Add a half a can of tomatoes. Add meat back in with some water to cover and cook on low heat till tender. Not too different than many stews and braises.

Old 07-30-2020, 01:19 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
I'm a fan of ALL curries, and we have them at least 2x per month, either take out or made at home from the pastes.

My favorite is thai green curry, preferably the way it's usually served in Thailand with 'japanese' eggplant. Any thai, indian, japanese, Laotian or Malay curry is fine with me. But the carribean is my least favorite.

A few comments, if I may.

Thai green curry really doesn't include potatoes. However, thai yellow curry always has potatoes and thai Massaman curry often does. Indian curries include potatoes a lot.

Northern Thailand has Koah Soi which is essentially a yellow curry creamy noodle soup. If you enjoy curry and see it on a menu, do try it. It's one of the FEW curries that I prefer mild - the flavor is wonderful.

Japanese curry rice is often served as a meatless side dish. Some mushy vegetables are in there, but it's mostly sauce. Most recipes call for it to be mild, but spicy versions exist (the Japanese are not super chile freaks the way Indian and Thai foodies often are.)

Malay curry is Laska curry (aka curry mee). Often made with seafood, the sauce is quite thin. Served on noodles, not rice.

Shanv3's meal on Air China might not have been a curry. Conjee is a staple of the chinese diet. Basically, rice is cooked until it breaks down and becomes porridge. At breakfast, it's usually served plain. At other meals, it can be a side dish. With meat added, it becomes an entree. I cant remember ever seeing it cooked with vegetables, except as condiments like green onion, fried shallots, peas, corn, ginger and I'm sure other stuff. (I'm not a fan.)

Now I'm sorry that I've planned roast chicken for dinner. . .

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 07-30-2020 at 01:34 PM..

Old 07-30-2020, 02:31 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Thai for me. I make my own red, yellow and Massaman pastes.
Big baller! I love it, always wanted to be one of those make your own curry types but it never stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briargate View Post
Purists might say these pre-made curries are nothing like making it from scratch, but I think they are just fine.
Agreed. I've eaten a ton of fresh homemade curries and while some are better than others IMO there is no massive divide between store bought and homemade like with some other food types. I think the nature of curry paste just lends itself well to mass production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
My favorite is thai green curry, preferably the way it's usually served in Thailand with 'japanese' eggplant.
Thai green is my favorite as well, although I've always called those little green golf balls Thai eggplant. It is one of the worse parts of ordering green curry in USA many restaurants that otherwise make outstanding flavored curry don't serve with Thai eggplants because diners want something familiar. So you get all sorts of nonsensical stuff in there carrots, broccoli, squash, etc.

Old 07-30-2020, 02:36 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Northern Thailand has Koah Soi which is essentially a yellow curry creamy noodle soup. If you enjoy curry and see it on a menu, do try it. It's one of the FEW curries that I prefer mild - the flavor is wonderful.
Preach it!

Khao Soi is my wife's favorite curry.

Old 07-30-2020, 03:33 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:

I went to Chiang Mai a few years ago and before I left I ended up chatting up my neighbor who is from Norther Thailand. She recommended this before I went, so I got to try a free versions!

When I got home, we seemed to be getting more northern Thai restaurants so it started to show up on menus!

Old 07-31-2020, 01:54 AM

3 posts, read 1,725 times
I love Indian, I enjoy most of the gravy base foods especially chicken gravy, fried chicken, chicken masala. Indian curry usually made from dry spices, curry powders with authentic Indian styles. the one that you are referring to that yogurt, cream, or coconut milk not all Indian curry made from that. the specialty of Indian foods is it's custom made/Homemade Spices that gives curry an amazing taste, flavors and texture.

Old 07-31-2020, 04:13 AM

606 posts, read 419,379 times
Curry with potatoes and chicken/beef plus rice is the best. I've had Jamaican, Japanese and Indian curry. It's hard to pick one over the other.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:18 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Indian.

I'll gladly eat Jamaican and some Thai curries. Never had a Japanese curry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink