Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 09:23 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times

Advertisements

It just depends on the item. I have had store brand or generic brands that taste as good as the name brand, and many times where the generic is substandard. One example I remember was the time I bought generic peanut butter, it was disgusting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 12:50 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,347 times
When you're making Rice Crispy treats you HAVE to use Rice Crispy. You can experiment with generic brands but you risk a wrongness about the texture. Only Rice Crispy reliably stays crisp and doesn't go mush. I've made the mistake.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:20 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,369,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
many of the "private label" brands are made by the national brands,,, they put them out for bid-they can be cheaper because of volume,,and no advertising funds...like national brands

similar to the private label bread and milk,,,the widely known brand names make them,,just packaged differently

i buy the store brand stuff on price, they usually are just as good
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I don't like all store brands but there are two that I like. I don't think they are the same makers though, the nutrition label differs slightly. Like some store brands have higher sugar than others. I also have seen less sugar in store brands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
It just depends on the item. I have had store brand or generic brands that taste as good as the name brand, and many times where the generic is substandard. One example I remember was the time I bought generic peanut butter, it was disgusting!
I agree, it varies-
it depends on the particulars, which aren't able to be generalized.
It's a hit-or-miss, trial-and-error proposition.

It also depends on how sensitive the person consuming the food is,
whether they would notice the difference-if that difference was mild or moderate,
and whether they preferred the name brand or the generic.

Recently bought (for the first time) some storebrand Cookie Crisp (the generic spells it with K's instead of C's,) and I could tell it was different-
smaller pieces with less rounded shape, more grit/"crumb dust" floating around in the bag, slight difference in flavor & crunch.
However, it was such that I didn't mind-
so in this case, the generic struck me as nearly up to the standard of the namebrand,
despite being clearly non-identical (albeit similar) product

Old 06-03-2013, 05:44 PM

5,585 posts, read 984,541 times
I tend to notice a difference in some brand cereal compared to their non brand/generic brand likeness cereal. I prefer name brand, guess I just want to believe I'm going to like my breakfast better if it is name brand. I agree with another poster about Rice Krispie, to make the treats I much prefer Rice Krispie cereal over generic brand. The brand of cereal I'm likely not to buy is POST cereals.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:49 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
I think the only real difference is made by ingredients. No matter what you pay - all natural cereal, low sodium, low sugar, low fat, high fiber, natural flavors, nuts, fruits, no artificial adding - that what makes a cereal healthy and taste the best.
When you look at the brand... most cereals are made by TWO companies - Kellogg and General Mills. Different names, different package... but the cereal doesn't vary that much at all. Mostly by added artificial colors and flavors. And stuff like wheat or bran flakes taste like a cardboard box.
I realized that the best cereal is the one I mix myself: I buy bulk cereal, bran, oats, wheat and such, then add natural stuff to it - honey, fresh or dried fruit, nuts and seeds, flavors like coconut, vanilla, cinnamon etc. and get greater variety, better taste AND it cost me LESS than a box of store bough cereal. As a result I have a hearty, nutty, earthy, crunchy, chewy, flavorful, delicious breakfast cereal to start a day

Old 06-03-2013, 08:14 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Actually, there are FIVE major producers of cereals - the other two being Pepsico (Quaker brands), Post Foods (spun off from Ralcorp), and Ralcorp Holding (ConAgra) which produces MOST private label brands.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:49 AM

109 posts, read 155,476 times
Well there could be a difference between them but I think it depends. I have bought a cheaper cereal once in the supermarket and the taste is almost the same with brand cereals.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:00 AM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
^^^ yeah, especially when you add your own stuff like fresh fruit, raisins or some nuts, then you have it better than from store

Old 06-04-2013, 06:36 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Some are similar, some aren't ... just like anything else.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:52 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
The slight difference in taste of some items is so small that it's almost not worth mentioning. Unless your palate can discern a BIG difference, consider the cost and it's worth it. The items I've listed have no difference (that I can tell) in the taste of the name brand products.

Clancy's snacks - Tortilla Chips $1.19
Casa Mamita - Salsa, 24 oz. jar $1.69
Millville Brand (mfr. Gen'l Mills) Honey Nut Oats 12 oz. box $1.69
3 Large cucumbers - .99
Driscoll Strawberries (sometimes) - $1.89 At that price, I'll eat 'em
Dole Pineapple (sometimes) - .99
Happy Farms Swiss Cheese - (8 oz.block) $1.79
Non-fat yoghurt - various fruit-flavored .39
Benton's Honey Graham Crackers $1.49

I've only ever had one complaint and that wasn't an ALDI problem but the manufacturer. I bought a frozen stir-fry meal that was supposed to contain chicken, rice, veg. package and sauce. When I was making it, there was no vegetable package in the bag!! My next trip to ALDI, I mentioned it to one of the managers and he told me to take TWO of them and there would be no charge. I wasn't expecting ALDI to make good on someone else's mistake, but there you are.

Once in a while, I'll try a product that I don't care for, but that happens at the full-price store as well. I chalk it up to personal preference and I don't take it back. Or buy it again. There are people who will never be satisfied with change of any kind, and that's what keeps the Big Guys in business. I'm happy to get much of my stuff at ALDI, where the cashier always says, "How are you today?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink