Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:02 PM

534 posts, read 1,594,894 times

Advertisements

I buy a lot of store brand things. I watch 2 kids, so cheap is the way I go on most things.

I've never had a problem with store brand cheese, blocks or shredded. Veggies, canned fruit, applesauce, even yogurts are good. I've just started trying out different generic cereal. The one store by us, their brand is just like the originals. I've had no issues with them, oatmeal either.

I don't buy generic meats, or canned ravioli and stuff like that. Mac n cheese is only Kraft.

My list could go on and on, but I'll stop here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 03:49 PM

746 posts, read 2,176,306 times
Miracle Whip and Helman's mayonaise are the only food items that I can think of where I won't buy the generic version. Household items such as baggies, garbage bags, paper towels, I'll buy generic as well. Laundry soap I buy online from Watkins as well as other items that I like of theirs. Personal care items are usually name brands that I have formed a preference for. Things like toothpaste, deoderant, face wash and feminine hygiene products I won't buy generic.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:51 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,711,313 times
ew. I wish I hadn't opened this thread.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:14 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,683,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
Are Aldi's brands considered generic?

I've been very satisfied with their in house labels.

I have not tries Aldi's yet although they opened here about 3 weeks ago. I myself will go out of my way to Save A Lot just to buy their version of Frosted Flakes and Corn Flakes. Twice the size, taste better and costs about $ 1.50 -$ 2.00. I also love their peanut butter creme cookies. Again, massive size, less than $ 2.00 and way better than even Nutter Butter.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:26 AM

849 posts, read 1,953,007 times
I buy generic: eggs,milk,butter,flour,sugar,dry beans,cream cheese and some other things...can't think now. I found lots of store brand things just as good as brand names and a lot cheaper.

Always buy brand names:hot dogs(Nathan's or Hebrew National),Mayo(Best Foods),Cereal,Pickles,Any kind of sauces or dressings in bottles, toilet paper...etc

Old 10-23-2008, 09:32 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times
The things I need name brand are:
Velveeta
Tide
Downey
Listerine
Ritz Crackers
Goldfish Crackers

Everything else can be generic and is unless I can get the name brand cheaper with a coupon, which I usually can't.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:56 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,084 times
The last item I bought generic was a box of tissues.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I worked in a canning factory once. We were owned by a name brand, but we didn't always put their labels on. Lots of cans got cased unsealed and stacked, without labels. If a generic ordered some, we could pull them out of the warehouse, load them into the labeler and ship them out. Exactly the same product as the name brand.

However, the produce we canned varied through the harvest season, the the name brand got their labels on the cans of the product at the best of the season. Quality control knew whether we were labeling or not, and the ones with the name brand got stricter quality control.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:21 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Default Buying generic - some things are just sacred

I'm a pretty good shopper, always looking for the best deal. However, there are certain things I won't go generic on. Ketchup has to be Heinz. Soup cannot be generic. I grew up on Chef Boyardee and don't really buy it, but I have had the generic and it's just rude.

I buy fresh veggies for short term cooking, but I also buy frozen. I'll go generic on most, but I'll blow a gasket over generic corn. It has to be Green Giant extra-sweet, whether it's canned, on the cob or just frozen cut corn.

Can anyone feel me?

Old 08-06-2009, 08:49 AM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,810 times
Dietz and Watson for deli meat, always. Generic is just filler and MSG, neither of which I really like.

I'm very particular on ice cream. Haagen Dazs, HT Naturals, or Ben and Jerry's. Everything else is salty and leaves a slimy film.

Most other things I'm fine with generic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink