Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 01:07 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times

Advertisements

I'm a good and frequent cook, but I almost NEVER bake.

Every so often, a recipe says I should whisk something, like eggs, sauces, making a roux, etc. I use a fork - quickly and hard to get everything combined and (I guess) put a little air in it.

I've tried using whisks, but I just haven't been able to get comfortable with them. And it just seems like one more kitchen toy in my drawer.

Am I wrong?

Last edited by Beretta; 08-07-2020 at 04:45 PM..

Old 08-06-2020, 02:00 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Well, it's not like they are a hard to find rare item. I say go along using a fork till you feel the need.

If I'm going to beat egg whites, I'm going to do it with a beater, not a hand whisk.

I use them occasionally but I can't honestly say I'd have trouble cooking without.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:03 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
I agree completely with the previous poster. A whisk is intermediate between a fork and an electric beater, which makes it not as useful as either of those. I have a couple of whisks but I find myself using either a fork, for light mixing, or an electric beater, for more serious beating, almost all the time. Come to think of it, I should get rid of the whisks and make more room in the drawer.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
WHOOPS - The subject should have read "WHISKS".

Every so often, a recipe says I should whisk something, like eggs, sauces, making a roux, etc. I use a fork - quickly and hard to get everything combined and (I guess) put a little air in it.

I've tried using whisks, but I just haven't been able to get comfortable with them. And it just seems like one more kitchen toy in my drawer.

Am I wrong?
I have four whisks, I think. I use the smallest one and another that has a unique design most often. But honestly, I don’t think you absolutely must have one. You can buy a mixing container with a plastic agitator that screws together and allows you to shake up your eggs or large amount of salad dressing. I have one of these that I use more often than any whisk. Fork mixing sounds fine to me, as well. And, if you buy a stick blender, you might get a whisk attachment you can use for small scale whipping.

So, IMO, you don’t need a whisk, especially if you don’t feel the need of one.

I do bake, but almost never use a whisk when I do. I use my KA mixer for everything.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:49 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
I have several whisks, but I never think to use them. If I am beating eggs, I just use a fork. If you have the space, get one, but sometimes, it is un-needed clutter.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:49 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Thanks all. I'll just keep using my fork and save some money and drawer space!

I do have an electric hand beater, circa 1975, received as a wedding gift from my short, first marriage. Avocado green, of course, and it still works. Which shows how infrequently I use it!

Old 08-06-2020, 02:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Thanks all. I'll just keep using my fork and save some money and drawer space!

I do have an electric hand beater, circa 1975, received as a wedding gift from my short, first marriage. Avocado green, of course, and it still works. Which shows how infrequently I use it!
My mom has one of the same age and color give or take! Still works. She uses it a few times a year. Anywhere from 4-8x a year.

Old 08-06-2020, 03:07 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Ah, whisks. Not something I've ever wasted much thought about, but I do have a charming little memory of one.

At some point in the early days of their marriage my parents bought one of those coiled wire whisks at a long-forgotten grocery store. It lived in the kitchen utensil drawer as we all grew up and was used so long the tip of the coil was honed down to needle sharpness. It was the go-to implement for everything that needed to be blended, especially my dad's cherished morning ritual scrambled eggs. Somewhere along the line someone attached a nickname to it. The "dingler". Every once in a while someone would jab themselves on the tip, curse the dingler, swear it was a source of tetanus waiting to be injected, and buy a shiny new replacement. The replacement would end up right next to it in the same drawer. It didn't make any difference. What was the utensil that everyone chose out of that drawer? The old menacing dingler. All the new ones were either too flexy or too stiff. The dingler was just right.

Eventually I faced the job of clearing out my elderly dad's house. I laid all the kitchen stuff out for siblings to pick over before donating any useful leftovers to charity. What did everyone fight over to the point of drawing straws and cards for it? Not the nice serving dishes, the electric mixer, the assorted nice knives. Only the lowly menacing dingler. I was the lucky one and still use it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-06-2020 at 03:32 PM..

Old 08-06-2020, 03:12 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
When I actually have energy to cook, etc. - I use mine often (I have a large silicone one, a medium size metal one and several tiny ones)

Old 08-06-2020, 03:16 PM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
[Mod edit: corrected]

Am I wrong?
They are pretty great and simple tools. Easy to store in a drawer (not taking countertop space). Try to master them.
I also use a whisk to make mashed potatoes - so easy, I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink