Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you making fancy food at home?
Yes, I love making fancy food for myself/family 12 29.27%
No, I am getting fancy takeout when the mood hits 11 26.83%
No, I don't like that stuff anyway 18 43.90%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 06:19 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,122,257 times

Advertisements

Actually, I've done less "fancy" cooking. Just too tired from the crazy going on. I've done frozen prepared stuff, which I never used to do. I used to love to cook, just don't have the energy now. When I do, it's something we can graze on for a few nights leftover wise. Plus, the hubs has gotten more picky. No onion, not much spicy, he's turning into a meat and potatoes guy, with a few side trips to Italian and Mexican (so long as they follow the no onion etc rule).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2020, 05:29 PM

12,679 posts, read 8,906,187 times
Fancy? No. But I have cooked more and expanded my ingredients. I've cooked things that in the past I would have gone out for, mainly because I was worried about messing up expensive ingredients. More seafood and scallops, which might not seem like much if your in a coastal area, but here in middle Tennessee, any seafood that doesn't come in a Gorton's box is $$$$. I also broke down and ordered some Picanha and Wagyu steaks for while my son was home on leave. When the meat cost that much, it's a bit nerve wracking to throw it on the grill the first time.

Old 08-23-2020, 05:14 AM

22,201 posts, read 29,246,017 times
I don't know about fancy but we get our meats from WF lol

Old 08-23-2020, 10:47 AM

12,700 posts, read 14,854,532 times
I wouldn't necessarily say FANCY, but I've been making just A WHOLE LOT MORE dishes in general. Before COVID, I got takeout/fast food a LOT. I've always kind of liked cooking & always LOVED grocery shopping, but getting food was just easier & quicker.

I've made some new meals/dishes I never made before COVID started 5 mos ago:

- quinoa fried rice
- sunomono salad (a Japanese cucumber salad)
- avocado cucumber sushi rolls
- quesadillas
- ceviche
- BLTA sandwich

Also since COVID, I've also tried some new foods/ingredients I've never had before:

- tempeh
- dill
- dashi
- hearts of palm
- dragonfruit
- leeks

Old 08-30-2020, 05:45 AM

19,965 posts, read 30,091,421 times
Yes. Been eating well
Using the traeger grill - pellet smoker

From salmon to steaks to ribs - delicious!!

Old 08-30-2020, 10:12 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,810,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say FANCY, but I've been making just A WHOLE LOT MORE dishes in general. Before COVID, I got takeout/fast food a LOT. I've always kind of liked cooking & always LOVED grocery shopping, but getting food was just easier & quicker.
Same.

I've always enjoyed being in the kitchen cooking, and as a mom of 3, I cooked almost every night for about 20 years. But after my divorce a few years ago, i also fell into the take-out habit, especially since my kids are often not here.

So, I'm thankful for Covid for getting me back into the habit of preparing most meals at home.

Old 08-30-2020, 10:21 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,810,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Fancy? No. But I have cooked more and expanded my ingredients. I've cooked things that in the past I would have gone out for, mainly because I was worried about messing up expensive ingredients. More seafood and scallops, which might not seem like much if your in a coastal area, but here in middle Tennessee, any seafood that doesn't come in a Gorton's box is $$$$. I also broke down and ordered some Picanha and Wagyu steaks for while my son was home on leave. When the meat cost that much, it's a bit nerve wracking to throw it on the grill the first time.

I don't eat a lot of beef or pork, and I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I'm kind of tired of chicken! So, I've been cooking seafood a lot more often. The problem is that, yes, it's definitely more pricey in Middle Tennessee.

Old 08-30-2020, 09:19 PM

32,833 posts, read 36,118,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I don't eat a lot of beef or pork, and I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I'm kind of tired of chicken! So, I've been cooking seafood a lot more often. The problem is that, yes, it's definitely more pricey in Middle Tennessee.
Same here. I don't eat a lot of meat and I'm really tired of chicken.

Old 08-31-2020, 08:21 AM

29,682 posts, read 34,211,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Strangely, no. I am taking out more, and eating more simple meals. We don't have guests any longer. We are in high risk categories, as are most of our friends. We must Socially Isolate. Most of them must also.

I am tired of my own cooking. Seriously. And cooking for only two is boring.

In the Summer we usually eat out more than usual. We choose restaurants with outdoor dining and pretty views and a congenial atmosphere. I cook at home less in Summer, and we have guests and are guests more frequently. While we have AC, cooking is almost always a "hot" endeavor.

We take out good food more than we should. Fridays we have always enjoyed Pizza and a tossed salad.

I am just "not in the mood" to cook.
Yeah, at the beginning of staying at home I was pawing through cookbooks and recipe sites and trying new things. At the time there were rumors of supply chain shortages, so I made big batches and froze meals (more than I usually do as a single person.) Now I'm over it. I do still cook thngs, but ometimes I order takeout, and sometimes dinner is a bowl of cereal.

Old 09-02-2020, 10:03 AM

2,964 posts, read 5,437,125 times
No fancy meals but we're more frequently getting once-in-a-while ingredients as we're saving money not going out. A rack of lamb, lobster and sushi grade fish recently, and new pantry ingredients like white balsamic and Xiaoxing wine for "homemade takeout". Stocking the home bar with equipment, mixers and bitters too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink