Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you making fancy food at home?
Yes, I love making fancy food for myself/family 12 29.27%
No, I am getting fancy takeout when the mood hits 11 26.83%
No, I don't like that stuff anyway 18 43.90%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 10:19 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I guess I should have been clearer. Boxed mixes, chocolate chip cookie rolls, crescent rolls - I do those, and my results are as expected.

My definition of baking is when you need exacting measurements, just the right amount of stiring, whisking, folding, etc. The perfect size pan. I'm a sloppy cook anyway.
Some of that is as simple as having the right equipment. Many people don't realize there are dry measuring cups and liquid measuring cups. My husband used to use a liquid measuring cup for everything especially rice. He didn't understand why his rice would burn. He had the wrong proportion of rice to water - too much rice and not enough water.

The pans usually are less picky. Most mixes and recipes will work with a range of pan sizes and just need a time adjustment.

Don't worry about how neat you are in the kitchen. Julia Child was far from tidy and look how popular she was!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 10:22 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Strangely, no. I am taking out more, and eating more simple meals. We don't have guests any longer. We are in high risk categories, as are most of our friends. We must Socially Isolate. Most of them must also.

I am tired of my own cooking. Seriously. And cooking for only two is boring.

In the Summer we usually eat out more than usual. We choose restaurants with outdoor dining and pretty views and a congenial atmosphere. I cook at home less in Summer, and we have guests and are guests more frequently. While we have AC, cooking is almost always a "hot" endeavor.

We take out good food more than we should. Fridays we have always enjoyed Pizza and a tossed salad.

I am just "not in the mood" to cook.
Sounds just like us. There's 2 of us. Cooking most meals for only 2 people is a pain.

Summers are short here so we get out as much as possible including eating out. Winter we're home at least 5 days a week and by home I mean home. We don't leave the house. It's cold and snowy here so unless we have something specific to do we tend to stay home. We're lazy and don't like cleaning the car off. LOL

We're both sick of cooking at home. We ate out every night the week restaurants reopened for takeout. When they opened for dine in eating, we ate out every night that week too.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:12 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
Nope. I cook whatever gets me through the day. We will grill hamburgers tonight. Last night was make your own sandwich with the croissants I bought at Costco. I want to cook light and simple. My husband is rebelling against healthy. I'm not putting much effort into it.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:31 AM

1,154 posts, read 366,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yes, being stuck home so much of the time makes it tempting to bake sweets. Somebody gave me a recipe for a cake in a cup so I made it. Took about five minutes, so simple. So simple that I made it again a few days later but I'm going to stop.

I love to bake (regular baking, not from a box) and I dislike cooking meals. But I'm going to lay off the baking for now. Baking is for winter anyway. Steaming fresh vegetables and eating cold foods are summer eating. And corn on the cob.
I can relate. I haven’t been baking but my daughter has, and it’s not doing good things for my waistline! The other day she made the most amazing rosemary shortbread cookies, and it was hard to stop eating them.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:35 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Just had a thought - I am sure for many of us, eating out was a form of socializing and celebrating. So in the current times, have you been cooking any special meals at home? Upgraded over your everyday fare. Maybe a special recipe or special ingredients? Maybe you are spending more time on presentation for these special meals too?
Presentation? Not at all but at least we're still eating dinners at a dining table and most of the time use serving dishes instead of putting a pot on the table, something I may have done once or twice... We made more of an effort with cooking the first couple of months of quarantine but now we will order takeout at the drop of a hat, and takeout was something we never did prior to covid. I feel like we were more into cooking various ethnic foods and healthier foods pre-virus. I'm mostly feeling numb about it all these days, and unfortunately, hubby developed an interest in baking once he had to stay home from his post-retirement part-time job, and that is not good for my type-2 diabetes.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:59 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
My cooking hasn't gotten fancy, but am using more "from scratch" ingredients in my cooking. I'll roast my poblano peppers instead of opening up a can of green chiles, make my own refried beans instead of using pre-made, baking more homemade bread etc. I've always loved to cook, but seem to have more time now that I'm working from home.

Old 08-13-2020, 12:14 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Sounds just like us. There's 2 of us. Cooking most meals for only 2 people is a pain.
I usually cook larger quantities, eat it for a couple of nights and freeze the rest in meal-size containers. This works well for most foods, but some don't freeze well. Pasta salad was disgusting once thawed; I think the mayo resented that treatment.

Old 08-13-2020, 01:24 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
No, but I just checked out the recipes for Funnel Cake and Fried dough.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:12 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,184,722 times
Fancy meals, I don't know about that, but we have expanded our cooking and recipes considerably. We took a lot of meals that we used to eat out and started making them from home instead. My husband now makes amazing barbacoa tacos with homemade tortillas, falafels and tzatziki sauce. I learned how to make homemade churros, fresh baked bread, and so much more. We used to be in a food rut and now we're trying all sorts of new recipes and making new foods of all types.

Old 08-16-2020, 02:35 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post

Don't worry about how neat you are in the kitchen. Julia Child was far from tidy and look how popular she was!
Yeah, but she had somebody who cleaned up after her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink