Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 02:50 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
Oh well if you like the sweet and savoury combination, try stilton cheese on chocolate digestives. Just thought...do you have either in the states? Oops!
Well if you do, it's good...

I love the combination of Roquefort and pears, not sure how I'd like chocolate flavor with Stilton but it probably wouldn't be the strangest idea I've tried
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 07:15 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Digestives are a sweet wholemeal biscuit (a cookie to you ), baked crisp tho, not soft.

Mcvities are the main brand in the UK, pic on here Digestive biscuit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - every store has their own brand too.

They have a slightly salty flavour too...

Excellent for dunking!!!!

Top British tea and biscuit tips and behaviour here Mmmm nice

and humour here (essential viewing)
YouTube - Peter Kay - Biscuits
And again Southdown, thanks for explaining!

It's that slight saltiness that makes them work so well with cheese. Got to be something like stilton but roquefort is close enough, I bet that would work too!

Old 05-02-2008, 02:03 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times
Default anyone like to share a good spaghetti sauce?

No. I am keeping it all to myself. And the size of my behind attests to the fact.

Sometimes, I see these thread titles and get so tickled.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:12 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,659,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
No. I am keeping it all to myself. And the size of my behind attests to the fact.

Sometimes, I see these thread titles and get so tickled.
Not going to share huh? Awwww...Come on! This is the place to share your recipes.....(nudge)

Old 05-03-2008, 06:17 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Not going to share huh? Awwww...Come on! This is the place to share your recipes.....(nudge)
I was being less my serious self, and more my silly self. My spaghetti sauce comes in a jar these days.

When I was younger, and helping my Mother in the kitchen, we made a spaghetti sauce from scratch that was delicious, but I am sure it is much like everyone else's -- canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, pressed garlic, diced fresh onion and bell pepper, ground beef (browned first with the onion and peppers), and then lots of spices to suit your own tastes: oregano, bay leaves, and the like. We would also add fresh mushrooms from time to time.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:29 AM

22 posts, read 48,518 times
Take some old bread (hard) and ground it. Cook the ground bread on a pan until it become brown (warning: from brown to burned out is a moment).
Put your roasted-ground-bread, with a lot of extra virgin olive oil, in your spaghetti.

I know that can sound strange but it tastes good.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:11 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,845,822 times
Simonprog-we call that pasta w/sand.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:23 PM

52,685 posts, read 47,940,162 times
I always like a little basil, tomato, and oregano if I am to make any spaghetti sauce. Those great things just go together. If I do a meat sauce, I'd like to combine Italian sausage with beef.

My other idea would include mushroom, onion, and garlic. And not always in the conventional form, either.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:03 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Where do you buy this jar sauce?

I`m going to make a homemade batch of sauce next time, but this would be nice to have for a quicky spaghetti dinner.
yankee -- at Trader Joes.

their sauces are fantastic. and not expensive at all.

I used to buy this one sauce that was comparable but twice the price.

all TJ's jarred sauces are fantastic.

hope you have Trader Joes in your area.... took a long time for us to get them, but now we've got a few to choose from in the Chic'burbs.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:38 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,859,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Bacon may be THE universal ingredient, I have the feeling it'd probably even be good on ice cream, may have to try that soon

Is bacon in the UK smoked like an American style ...
Hmmm... I never smoked bacon before, it might be a little tough putting in the pipe..

I'll share my spaghetti/pasta sauce, it's called Barrilla and it was on sale last week at Albertson's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink